Drink Wine?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp69

My cardiologist said it was okay to drink wine with coumadin. Anyone out there with a valve replaced (either mechanical or tissue) who still enjoys wine? Would LOVE to hear from you. Not currently drinking anything, but looking forward to drinking some nice pinot after the surgery.:)

My husband has wine or beer 2-3 times per week, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. The most he has had at one time was 4 beers over a long afternoon banquet. You will find that there are alot of coumadin users here who do have alcoholic beverages in moderation and *consistancy*. Nathan has been consistant in that he usually does drink some form or another 2-3 times per week. It varies more on how much, but he is still sort of new to anticoagulation so he is still testing the waters a bit. He does home monitor his INR, and has checked it before, during and after and so far what he has done has not changed his altered his INR yet.

temp69 said:
My cardiologist said it was okay to drink wine with coumadin. Anyone out there with a valve replaced (either mechanical or tissue) who still enjoys wine? Would LOVE to hear from you. Not currently drinking anything, but looking forward to drinking some nice pinot after the surgery.:)["Every breath is a gift...unless you're downwind of my beagle, Tucker."]

When I hit the town I usually have 5-6 beers in an evening. I tend to avoid drinking until I'm slouched over the toilet nowadays, but then again I'm only 7 months post-op, so maybe give it a while...

I have a drink about once a week. It is usually a mimosa with brunch or a Bailey's after a tough day. Once in awhile we go out to eat and then I will have some saki or champagne. I rarely have more than 2 of any drink and usually only one but that is because I am very sensitive to alcohol (read - cheap drunk here).;) :D ;)

We did a winery tour this past Wednesday (Coloma, MI), and bought four bottles. Now, the bottles look very nice, and no date is planned to open them, but they will be opened eventually.
When I make a reunion again, I have three bottles of homemade wine labeled for VRcom, and they will come along.

My cardio said he recommended a 4 oz. glass of red wine daily. He also said that if you're going to drink at all on coumadin, then drink the same amount daily. This was about a 1000% increase in alcohol consumption for me, but I do have a drink every day. Usually wine; occasionally replaced by a cocktail, Bailey's or beer.

There is nothing wrong with a drink now and then while on Coumadin. The problem arises if you have or are predisposed to ulcers. The alcohol can irritate the stomach until it bleeds and if you get a bleed going in there while on Coumadin, it may be your life.

I occasionally drink some wine.
Last weekend, I had several margaritas. Was at a cat show in Grapevine, Texas, (a town that touts wines, by the way), and a Mexican restaurant (Los Lupes) catered the show, instead of forcing us to have the usual crappy concession stand hotdogs, etc.
Food was great, but even better were the MARGARITAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful frozen margaritas for $2.75 (a bargain!). I had one Saturday, 2 on Sunday. The first one I got Sunday spilled (no, I was not tipsy), so I got a
2nd one.

This weekend, the cat show is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Only beer served at the convention center. :-((((

I usually only have a small (4 ounces) glass of wine or small martini or margarita when I do drink. Too many empty calories otherwise; I also don't want to get tipsy and slip, hit my head. (Years and years ago, I would have with several!)

ah, Marsha.. how do I miss margaritas since leaving Dallas.. not crazy on making them as I have a old blender..and no room in the freezer for a bucket, and haven't found a decent place up here... how is the metroplex doing anyway?? been several years and I do miss it at times.. went on line recently to see the High 5 project.. I left in the middle of that.. what can i say, only in texas..

on to the topic - I too drink.. not as much as I used to.. but i'll split a six now and then with someone.. enjoy my White Merlot as well (not on same day of course).. I don't drink everyday, but 2-3 (4 in rare cases) per sitting - once or twice a week.. in the begining, I used to be nervous and "count" my servings.. don't anymore.. I've learned to be intune with my body and know what it can and cannot handle.. plus home testing helps keep me in control as well.

be safe and enjoy the day

Chris

Hi Temp69

My husband, AVR 6/02 has a glass of wine each and every night. He enjoys it and never has more than one.....our cardio said he'd much rather he have one glass a day, than have 2 or 3 on the weekends, so that is what he does.

NOOOOO problem with his INR.

Remember the rule: dose the diet.....or something like that.

Enjoy it.

Evelyn

I don't know much about this, not having a mechanical valve, but I think Ross raises a very good point. My understanding is that the risk of drinking alcohol with Coumadin is a whole other issue than, say, eating a big spinach salad. It isn't so much that it will change the INR (although for all I know it may do that as well) as that it can result in serious stomach bleeding. If that is the case, I wouldn't think that consistancy or home testing would make any difference. Instead, I would think the key would be making sure that one is periodically screened for ulcers (is there some relatively painless and inexpensive screen for this? )

If someone else knows more about this and I've gotten it wrong, please let me know. This is a question I've wondered about alot (liking a few beers myself :) ) and would really appreciate additional clarification. Thanks, Kate

It took me about six months to pluck up the courage to have a drink, I wasn't a heavy drinker prior to surgery, nor am I now. I might have a 25cl bottle of lager or a glass of wine or cider. Might be several days running, or could be weeks apart. I haven't had any problems, yet.

Kate said:
I don't know much about this, not having a mechanical valve, but I think Ross raises a very good point. My understanding is that the risk of drinking alcohol with Coumadin is a whole other issue than, say, eating a big spinach salad. It isn't so much that it will change the INR (although for all I know it may do that as well) as that it can result in serious stomach bleeding. If that is the case, I wouldn't think that consistancy or home testing would make any difference. Instead, I would think the key would be making sure that one is periodically screened for ulcers (is there some relatively painless and inexpensive screen for this? )

If someone else knows more about this and I've gotten it wrong, please let me know. This is a question I've wondered about alot (liking a few beers myself :) ) and would really appreciate additional clarification. Thanks, Kate
Kate,
I have been on coumadin for over 25 years and have never changed what I eat or drink. Never had a cardio tell me drinking was a problem. Maybe it is if someone is predisposed to stomach bleeding but I do not think coumadin and alcohol will cause it unless someone really does binge drinking and then they would have more issues than just coumadin.

Actually Kate, I do think that alcohol comsumption does affect a person's INR. While Nathan has not seen it happen personally yet (and home testing was a help with this as he was able to test many times when his clinic was not open, we would not have known that he personally has not had an effect from this otherwise) I know people that have seen fluctuations with even 2 drinks. Did Al say that it has to do with metabolism of the liver?

The ulcerative condition can not be ignored (my Dad died as a result of a GI bleed, and he drank vodka...straight), and Nathan's cardio I think would prefer NO alcholol at all due to effects on the heart. This is another issue altogether. Now if Nathan liked red wine :) it sure would be better than beer, hehehe. But alas, he wants to live out his life enjoying it to the fullest, and that means feeling normal enough to have a couple with his buddies now and then :)

Goggle is amazing at finding information. Unfortunately separating the wheat from the chaff can be difficult, especially for a layperson. I am copying an excellent response regarding alcohol and INR. Note that it is dated 4.24.06

76. Alcohol and warfarin (coumadin®)
Last Updated: 4/24/06

Q: ?Does alcohol intake increase the INR??
A. I am not aware of any study that has looked in detail at the influence of alcohol intake on the INR in patients on warfarin (coumadin®).

I am aware of only 2 studies that somehow address the issue of alcohol and INR (references 1 and 2). Both studies showed that individuals who drink alcohol are not more likely going to be over-anticoagulated, i.e. have INRs above 6.0, than individuals who do not drink. In one of the 2 studies (reference 1) this was true even for individuals who drink heavily. However, these studies did not address the question whether alcohol intake actually has an influence on the INR values. The interaction between alcohol consumption and warfarin therapy is said to be complex. A review article (reference 3) concluded:
0. Intermediate use (2-3 drinks per day) probably does not alter the INR at all.
0. Intermittent large amount of alcohol drinking leads to an increase in INR, because the alcohol interferes with warfarin metabolism, i.e. warfarin is metabolized less rapidly.
0. Chronic heavy alcohol intake results in a decreased INR, because the alcohol actually increases the metabolism of warfarin.

Personal comment:
I typically tell patients on warfarin (coumadin®) who drink mild to moderate amounts of alcohol (1-2 glasses of wine or 1-2 beers per day), that such alcohol intake is likely o.k. from a clotting and bleeding point of view.

References
0. Penning-van Beest FJA et al: "Lifestyle and diet as risk factors for overanticoagulation". J Clin Epidemiol 2002;55:411-417.
0. Hylek EM et al: "Acetaminophen and other risk factors for excessive warfarin anticoagulation. JAMA 1998;279:657-662.
Buckley NA et al: "Drug interactions with warfarin". Med J Aust 1992;157:479-83.

I agree with Dr. Allan. I have read the articles and discussed the second article with Eliane Hylek. Unfortunately much of what she said has been widely misquoted in the lay press and reported on the internet. She was so unhappy about how the press distorted the article that she told me, "This red-headed Pollock will never give a videotaped interview again."

I don't drink everyday but when I drink I tend to drink alot. I would say maybe twice a month I drink. Whether it's camping with friends or going to a party. I'm 11 weeks Post Op and I've drank twice pretty heavily but have had no problems. In fact, the weekends that I drank my INR was perfect. Go figure!!! My range is 3.0 - 3.5 and I was dead on at 3.3 both times. My Cardio preaches "consistency". "It is okay to have your happy time as long as you remain consistant with it." Unfortunately, drinking is one thing I'm not consistent with. No problems yet though.

Back