Drawbacks of living "in the sticks"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusQ

Hubby is scheduled for surgery on May 8th. The plan was, since he and I have the same blood type, for me to do a directed donation. I contacted the Red Cross and it's such a nightmare of logistics and extra costs that we have decided to nix the idea.

First of all, we are 350 miles from where he's having the surgery. So the donation would have to be transported and would end up costing two to three times more than blood available to the hospital locally. And the lady at the Red Cross warned me that insurance companies have stopped paying for direct donations because of this, so the cost of it would be passed on to us out-of-pocket and generally that is in the neighborhood of $200 - $400.

Then, I would have to donate at a scheduled local blood drive, or go the nearest Red Cross donation center. The next local blood drive (read: within 100-ish miles) is May 8th. Obviously that won't work. The nearest donation center is 100 miles away and only open Mondays between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.

:rolleyes2:

Yeah. What a mess. So that is that. Very disappointing.

It may not matter much really. I'm not sure what the percentage of valve replacement surgeries are that require units of blood, but I think it's probably low. I was told that I didn't require any units of blood, and from what I can remember it doesn't seem like very many others actually do either.

I banked 1 unit of blood for myself, and they gave it to me right post surgery. It felt and tested delicious. All the new and healthy RBC and Plasma filling me up from when I donated, I could feel getting stronger ;)

Ok, all the kidding aside, Fundy is right. These new technologies they have with Cell Saver Machines, and very little bleeding during surgeries, etc., should have you more assured that you guys most likely will not need a transfusion.

I agree with Fundy. I was not instructed to donate blood prior to my surgery, nor did I require any blood during my surgery. I hope things work out well for your husband. My best wishes to you both.

It depends on your surgery what you will need in terms of blood. My step son needed 2 units of blood post surgery – but he had 2 valves and a graft replaced. If you are only requiring one valve, it may be a completely different story – and it may be different for adults than kids as well since adults have so much more blood to begin with. Being hydrated pre-surgery likely helps as well – so make sure your hubby drink plenty of water in the couple days before surgery.

I know it may not matter, as the surgeon expected he would only need one (if any), but it was something positive that I could do in this freight train of out-of-control. Ah well.

However, I find the whole process extremely discouraging for those that know they will definitely need it. When I contacted my doctor's office to begin inquiring about the process, the woman I spoke with told me the long tale of the run-around one of the nurses there got when her and her husband tried to do a direct donation for their infant son who needed surgery.

Hey SusQ, I am so sorry that trying to do the best you can for your husband has turned into a major endeavor. I unfortunately have no suggestions to offer. I remember many many years ago, I too tried to donate blood for a friend who had been in a major accident and the Red Cross person to whom I spoke would not even assist me and stated that they did not do directed donations. Very discouraging to a person who is trying to help someone they care about. I sincerely hope that some type of resolution can be arrived at. Is it entirely out of the question for you to go to the hospital and put the donated blood in through the hosptial blood bank? Or is it too far a distance? I am praying for you and your family.

Ah well, on the bright side, I was sure having your blood in me was going to advance my gray hair growth like it did you. So I should have a reprieve there, lol.
And you standing by my side is all I will ever need babe. I love you!!

No blood required in my surgery either

No blood required in my surgery either

The surgeon told me it is very rare that blood is needed. I tried to do an auto donation, but he said it was not necessary (and he was right).

I was told that self donations aren't really done anymore. I think it was a liability issue. I, too, was told that blood is rarely needed.

Wanted to say that I donated a unit of blood two weeks before the OHS and it was used, and I could swear (though, based on anecdotal evidence) that I felt better from it sooner ;)

I have needed blood for all 3 of my surgeries. The 1st one, in '89, I had directed donors, family and friends. The last 2, in '00 and '09, I got stranger blood. My cardio told me that studies have shown stranger blood is just as safe, if not safer than having friends and relatives donate! Still, after 6 mos, I got my blood tested for AIDS, just to make my mind at ease. I needed blood after my surgeries for the last 2. It just helps speed up recovery if your blood numbers are low.

Back