DR said I am pre-diabetic & have bursitis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

I got up some time back with a very aching shoulder. just lived with it until a friend said 'it could be something else'. Well, I thought about that, knowing heart attacks are sometimes signaled by left arm/shoulder pain so I went to dr. I decided it wouldn't be cool to fly off for the reunion, have a heart attack on the plane, upset all the other passengers, cause an emergency landing and have CNN on hand to greet the body like they always do when a plane has a problem.:eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :p My dr xrayed and decided it's not heart related so she gave me a shot in the shoulder - not cortisone - something else. It has helped a little but it's like the bone rubbing on the bone when I lift my arm. I am using heating pad at night. Dr also gave me Celebrex and DarvocetN but I have only taken one Darvocet and no Celebrex. How long does it take to get all or mostly better?

she also said I am pre-diabetic so I have decided to try to beat it by life style change. Any suggestions besides diet changes?

Ann,
I had a shoulder that gave me fits for six months. My family doctor originally diagnosed it as bursitis, and gave me a shot for it. Later, when I met with a physical therapist, I found out that it was what they call a "frozen" shoulder. It was extremely painful.
I hope that yours resolves quickly.
And I'm very glad it's not heart related!

Glad it is not heart related, Ann. Two years ago, I came up with a high glucose count too. Took off about 15 lbs, watched sugar intake and beat it. Good numbers on the next blood test. Now, the problem is to keep it that way. I've been good, but I think that cruise set me back a bit- haven't wanted to get on the scale, but I can tell by how much tighter the waistline on my slacks are!

Ann, hope you are felling better. My mother has suffered from bursitis off and on...most of her adult life. Double knee replacement in there. I know how you are feeling!

Recently, she was DX'd with borderline diabetes. She now has a full blown case. She is only slightly overweight.

For you, I recommend a dietary change! If I could just talk Mother into it. Feel she would overcome the diabetes! Beleive it's the 20lb factor. She's good for about a week...then goes on a binge. :eek:

Ann,

Sorry you have having these difficulties. Pre-diabetes is the only one I have some experience with to pass on. My doc diagnosed me as pre-diabetic a few years before the heart surgery. By making changes in diet (mainly controlling carbs) and taking one prescription med (metformin), my blood glucose numbers are very good now. I haven't encountered yet any of the dire things that can come with full-blown diabetes, and the med people say I just have to keep living the control-diabetes lifestyle. There are many books out there about prediabetes, and the American Diabetes Association website has a lot of info. I also took a very useful diabetes management course from the local hospital when we were living in Northern Virginia.

The good news is that when it is caught as prediabetes, lifestyle changes can make a big difference and keep it at bay.

I wish you the best.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Ann. My brother was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a couple years ago. They sent him to a nutritionist who talked to him about eating a balanced diet and to stop eating a bag of Doritos before dinner (!). He laid off the carbs and lost some weight and he's no longer diabetic. He always was very lucky (of course, I know he had to work hard at the diet, but he's lucky thats "all" it took).

Ann,

My PCP recommends the SUGAR BUSTERS Book for Diabetes and / or weight control.

It has the BEST explanation I've ever read about how the digestive system works relative to Glucose, Insulin, and Glucagon which controls the burning of stored fat. (I just started reading it and have a lot to learn).

Bottom Line: It's all about selecting the right foods.

AVOID High Glycemic Index Foods (most things WHITE - Potatoes, White Bread, White Rice, etc.).

Eat High Fiber Carbohydrates (Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables).

"Cut SUGAR to trim FAT!"

'AL Capshaw'

thanks, everyone, for your input. I have already begun the no sugar thing and I guess I need to buy a book about how to eat the proper things. I don't eat a lot of white except love sugary things. My dr told me my only favorite fruit is high in sugar. I use it to take my pills - banana! Now what will I do??? Today I had grapes, cantaloupe, rye toast, a sandwich and a piece of chicken (no skin). I'll go on the net to get further information. Again, I appreciate you all.

Hens....

Well, that sucks!!!! Boy did your post surprise me!!! I'm thinking about some life-style changes for us, too. However, I LOVE carbs.....ugh.

Good for you, I'm proud of you.

Be well and feel even better.

Evelyn

Your hitting the bland area of life like I'm on. I break it every now and then. I can't eat like that all the time.

Stop developing problems. Wish we could huh?

Ann

Ann

Hope you are feeling better....:) The ONLY diabetic family member..is my age 35 year old nephew..Sister's oldest..Was dx about 5 years ago..and now on the pump..:( He was giving himself shots for several years..but going into a coma..(thankfully, he is married to a nurse)..at night, ect....Never did know..I thought sugar caused it..but sister said..when he went into coma..pour orange juice down him?Here is the strange thing..he is 6 ft. 6 in. tall..and skinny as a rail?.........So know..being over=weight..did not cause his?.......Sister is going to PT 2 times a week for her shoulder/neck...No help so far?..Feel for yall. I hate pain.why I am very careful to not overdo myself..:p Just wimpy when it comes to knowing..if I do that. I will feel pain tomorrow.:D ..Knock on wood..but it has been almost 2 years since I had that horrible pain in my right arm..from elbow to hand?Hurt for several months..Did all the horrible tests on it..:eek: Forgot the name..but will never do that again...:( Just had to wait it out........the only bill that I have refused to pay..doctor charged $250.00 everytime he put the electro shock on me?(arm/ect)..Came to $2,000...:eek: and he turned to me and said..I couldn't find anything?.Insurance paid 80%.......I threw the balance in garbage can..:p ....Maybe some member may know the test I am talking about? Bonnie

Chromium is supposed to assist insulin's effectiveness, so adding that supplement to your lifestyle changes might be helpful, if your doctor's okay with it. Exercise also lowers a tenedency toward diabetes.

It's not just sugar, but also carbs are problematic. They are part of the same food breakdown process. These are things in the high glycemic index that Al mentioned in an earlier post.

The other thing you should watch are your triglycerides. I know they're fats, not sugars or carbs, but high triglycerides and low HDL are a combination that can also signal a risk of deleloping diabetes. So the "bad" fats should be limited, and the monosaturates should be emphasized in what you eat.

There are a lot of websites that can help you with that (which are okay, which to eat sparingly), but do stay away from the self-serving ones that are also selling something. They often stretch the truth to get customers, especially when they sense someone is concerned. If they've found a fabulous medical discovery that no one in the medical community wants you to know aout, you can be pretty sure it's also a load of manure.

Best wishes,

Ann,
I am sorry you are having some problems.
Hpoefully you won't become a full blown diabetic.
A few years ago my wife's PCP told her she was a diabetic. We bought the testing machine and kept track. Turns out she was not a diabetic after all.
They have really reduced the acceptable testing range at some labs. Yet everyone we know that is a diabetic were in a much broader range. I think it was 120 after fasting overnight, but this lab said it had to be 99 or below.
Finally the doctor relented and admitted he was wrong. Diabetis does tend to run in her family so I was very concerned for her.
Some years back I had the same thing as Mary. Frozen shoulders on both sides at the same time. It was very painful but with a little therapy and just plain time it finally went away.
Rich

Sorry to hear of your pre-diabetes. I can't help much with that one; sounds like you've gotten some great advice though.

Also sorry to hear you're in pain. I lived in pain (shoulder) for several months a few years ago. I was prescribed Celebrex in conjunction with Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) and Naproxin. The Celebrex worked wonders for me. It relieved pains that I had adjusted to and just lived with. If you are comfortable taking it, it may really help you.

Wise

thanks for all the info. I am eating no sugar at all so far but I know that in some of the foods I will eat along the way will contain sugar. You can hardly get away from it altogether. I will learn as I go along. My dr wants to do another test in March after the reunion - maybe just doublecheck the last test. We did discuss triclycerides. She has advised me about what to eat - and what not to eat. Salads, some fruit, vegs, fish or fish oil pill.

As to shoulder, Daughter suggested a sling because it really hurts to hang down the hand so I am doing that some, but exercising the shoulder as I can because I don't want it to freeze. she mentioned possible PT. I was given Celebrex and DarvocetN but don't tolerate either one well. She rxed SIXTY darvocet and that should last about two lifetimes. I have taken two darvocet and both gave me upset stomach.

Ann, physiotherapy is the best thing you can do.
I have a long history of rotator cuff (shoulder) tendinitis, and bursitis in my elbow and hip. It's no fun.
Try to avoid repetitive motion acitvities and take a muscle relaxant. I took Naproxin and then Advil.
Best wishes.:)

hensylee said:
thanks for all the info. I am eating no sugar at all so far but I know that in some of the foods I will eat along the way will contain sugar. You can hardly get away from it altogether. I will learn as I go along. My dr wants to do another test in March after the reunion - maybe just doublecheck the last test. We did discuss triclycerides. She has advised me about what to eat - and what not to eat. Salads, some fruit, vegs, fish or fish oil pill.

As to shoulder, Daughter suggested a sling because it really hurts to hang down the hand so I am doing that some, but exercising the shoulder as I can because I don't want it to freeze. she mentioned possible PT. I was given Celebrex and DarvocetN but don't tolerate either one well. She rxed SIXTY darvocet and that should last about two lifetimes. I have taken two darvocet and both gave me upset stomach.

Ann,

You don't have to deprive yourself of all sugar or sweets containing sugar. It's a matter of moderation. Here is something from the American Diabetes Association on this point:

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/sugar.jsp

In cutting down my sugar, I find it useful to use Splenda on my oatmeal in the morning, and to have a no-sugar-added dessert when available. When I want something like regular cherry pie, however, I go ahead and have a reasonable-sized slice -- I just don't eat the whole pie, as I would have come close to doing in the old days.:D

Just as with sugar, moderation in eating things like white rice, potatoes, and bread is a good idea -- but by no means is deprivation the way to go.

Wishing you the best!

Ann:
You might want to get a copy of the South Beach Diet. Basically, you refrain from eating sugar and white flour. It's based on the Glycemic Index, developed in Toronto several years ago for diabetics. It basically helps your body from making insulin rushes.

In this eating plan, you get all sorts of choices of really good things that are also good for you. THere's no counting anything. Once you get used it it, it is easy. My glucose, cholesterol, and blood pressure levels have gone down really well.

Blanche

Back