Dr called with TEE results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CindyBain

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is the latest update: Yesterday, 2/11/21, I had a tele appointment with my cardiologist who went over my TEE results and showed me video of my valve. After reviewing she believes that I was born with Barlow's disease and that in the next 1-2 years I will need to replace my repaired valve. It is odd no one has mentioned Barlows, although many years ago when I was 18 and older Dr told me I had a click in my heart and it could turn into a murmur and worsen. I someday could have surgery!! I did at age 55!! I go back to Mayo Clinic in June for another ECHO and stress test to measure the pressure in my left atrium. The leak is approaching severe and my current pressure is 21, should it be higher I will have surgery sooner rather than later. I will also receive a tissue valve due to my age (71) and then in 10-15 years another which can be placed within the tissue valve through a catheter. I would be on coumadin for 3 months after the surgery rather than having a mechanical valve and coumadin for life. I will have to be evaluated by a surgeon to see if a minimally invasive procedure can be done. I had a mitral valve repair with the Davinci Robot in 2005. Has anyone had experience with a repair and then replacement valve due to Barlow's disease?

Has anyone had experience with a repair and then replacement valve due to Barlow's disease?
Depending on how they repaired your MV in 2005 and why it's failing now, with the right surgeon, maybe you are a candidate for a re-repair rather than a valve replacement (see links below)? If not, it sounds like a good choice to go with a tissue valve for the reasons you mentioned.

Barlow’s Disease: New Repair Is a Good Option for Leaky Mitral Valves
Barlow’s Disease: Treating the Chords, Not the Leaflets, Is Key
Methods of Re-operation

Thank you MdaPA for these links. I will certainly ask my surgeon when I meet with them. It would be nice to have another repair, but if not I will go with with the tissue valve and I also have to consider that after this valve is put in, the next one can be done by catheter.

Hi and welcome aboard

will have surgery sooner rather than later. I will also receive a tissue valve due to my age (71) and then in 10-15 years another which can be placed within the tissue valve through a catheter.
I believe that's likely a conservative estimate (given your age and it bring a mitral valve).

It may well be you get towards 20 years.

It seems like the best decision to me.

Best wishes

Latest posts

Back