Down to the wire

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

Second surgery is looming. Pre-op screening tomorrow, cath and then admitted on Monday. Bentall procedure on Tuesday 2/22. I fought so hard for over a year to get financial assistance before something bad happened it has worn me out...I am just ready to get it over with so I can get back to a somewhat normal life. My aortic root is 5.1cm and my ascending aorta is 5.8cm. The surgeon finally said we are going to do surgery whether you are approved or not...we can't wait until it becomes emergent because the definition of emergent is when either the root or aorta ruptures. Anyway I am having it at Duke Medical Center by Dr. G. Chad Hughes.

For those about to undergo your first surgery it will be OK. Trust me I am as nervous about this one as I was the first one. But it is starting to get better the closer I get. I also know that this time I could die at any time if I do not have the surgery. The last time it was more of a...you'll keep getting worse if you don't have it but it wasn't critical to have it ASAP, only that you will need it in the next year or two anyway so why not have it now while you are relatively healthy. I feel a lot worse physically this time so there is no doubt that I needed this surgery months ago.

See you guys on the other side of the mountain. I have seen the other side of the mountain before and it is beautiful so everyone about to have surgery keep that in mind.

Bryan

Good luck Bryan and may your second surgery go well with a speedy recovery.
I am looking closer at my date as well and am being as positive as possible. Thanks for the words of experience and all the best to you on Tuesday, climb the mountain a surge forward.
May the Gods be kind and take care of "Class 2011".

Bryan - We will be cheering for you from both sides of the mountain. All the best to you. About the time you are thinking about getting home, I'll be packing my little bag for my trip to the OR.

Go Class of 2011!

Bryan,
So happy you are finally able to have the surgery. We'll all be waiting to hear your good news as soon as you are able.
Best wishes.........

Wishing you a smooth and successful 2nd go around Bryan. You have been through a lot and I hope our thoughts and prayers bring you some peace as you climb the mountain again. We'll all be with you in spirit. Take care.

Bryan,
This is wonderful news after all that you've fought for to get to this point. The good part is that you've got a great hospital, a talented surgeon, and having been there before, you will be an informed patient. So keep fighting the good fight and let us know how things are going when you're able.

Best,
John

Bryan,

I've been following your story and wish you well in your second surgery and recovery. Will be looking for you in Post-surgery soon!

Best wishes,

Debby

I had my pre-screening today but I think it was only for the cath. Anyway it was pretty routine...weight, height, vitals, blood draw, listened to my chest and lungs, ecg, and went over my meds. I go in at 7:15AM Monday for the cath, get admitted afterwards, and meet with the anesthesiologist and surgeon. I won't have a time for the surgery until I meet with my surgeon on Monday. I may check in Sunday and then it will probably be a few days before I check in again.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers you have sent me. I was joking around with the cath techs checking me out today so that is a good sign. I am not nervous about the cath but Monday night might be another story. This will be my 5th cath (plus an ablation) so I am not worried about that. My thoughts now are that I am not going to feel any real pain until I wake up from surgery and by then the surgery is done and you just deal with it and it gets better each day. ;)

Back