Double vision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1972

Hi all , I’ve just had my 4th but worst episode of double vision in the last 2 months that came on like flicking a switch on and lasted for roughly 10 min. It really scared me so I managed to sit down as I felt a bit disorientated to . I closed my eyes and when I kept opening them I felt as if I was crossed eyed and I still couldn’t focus on anything eventually it cleared. Have any of you had similar experiences to share with me or any feed back that you could give me as to what caused this . Regards Paul 1972

Paul1972;n886178 said:
Hi all , I’ve just had my 4th but worst episode of double vision in the last 2 months.... I closed my eyes and when I kept opening them I felt as if I was crossed eyed and I still couldn’t focus on anything eventually it cleared. Have any of you had similar experiences to share with me or any feed back that you could give me as to what caused this .

I've had a few of these in the last year ... but given I'm 8 years post surgery I'm not sure its related to OHS ... I'm not sure what the cause is, but I'm suspecting middle ear related issue

Cheers for the reply Pellicle , it sure is a scary feeling isn’t it , I will go and see my gp when I get back home as I’m away at present , I just it ain’t going to be frequent as it comes on so quick , Hopfully it ain’t clot related .Regards Paul

Paul1972;n886178 said:
Have any of you had similar experiences to share with me or any feed back that you could give me as to what caused this.
Hi Paul - I've been getting episodes of double vision along with episodes of aura/scintillating scotoma ever since the day after aortic valve surgery (five years ago). I've not had an episode of double vision lasting ten minutes though, thankgoodness, though when I do get one it's like "flicking a switch on" as you describe. The auras always last twenty minutes. I've not had any investigations on this as it doesn't interfere with my life too much but it's been noted on my medical records. You might want to mention it to your GP, especially if you get another long episode of double vision. I think episodes of double vision are most unpleasant and certainly disorientating. All the best.

Thanks for the reply paleowomen , hope you are well ,how long would you say your episodes last . The last episode was the longest one I’ve had and has unnerved me quite a lot and as I’m on holiday at minute makes it even worse . It’s good to talk to other members of this group i appreciate your feed back ,I’ve got so many questions I could ask you all !! Regard Paul 1972

I've had similar episodes - starting just after my valve replacement in 2011. Prior to that time, I never had this happen. Now, I probably have the issue a few times a year. It does feel like my eyes are "crossed" and if I cover either eye, I can see normally. Usually my episodes last a minute or three, not ten. I can often bring things back to normal by closing my eyes and relaxing the eye muscles for a minute or less, so I think this has something to do with the muscles of the eyes. I could easily understand it if someone said this was age-related, as I'm not getting any younger (now 71), but if that were so, why would it start only after valve surgery?

Cheers Epstns, I appreciate your feedback it has eased my mind knowing that I’m not the only one who is having these episodes hearing from you all really does help and if I get the episodes again maybe I can relax a bit more which will help me ride its coarse . Regards Paul1972

Paul1972;n886183 said:
how long would you say your episodes last ...<snip>... It’s good to talk to other members of this group i appreciate your feed back ,I’ve got so many questions I could ask you all !! Regard Paul 1972
Hi Paul - I'd say my episodes of double vision last one to two minutes. I'm not surprised that a ten minute episode unnerved you.

Do ask any questions you have - this is surely what the group is for !

Four episodes in 2-months with one lasting 10-min would be of great concern to me. I get one about every year, it's mild I can still see and it lasts a few sec. It's gone by the time I blink my eyes a few times. I like to blame allergies since it usually happens when I'm having allergy problems. You might want to call your doctor and leave a question with their nurse for a call-back. If you are doing any extensive driving, you may want to stay off the freeway.

Cheers Tom , I’m going to see my gp when I get home from holiday on Monday , the latest episode did last a bit to long and has left me feeling anxious, I need to get some answers as to what it could be

Paul1972;n886201 said:
Cheers Tom , I’m going to see my gp when I get home from holiday on Monday , the latest episode did last a bit to long and has left me feeling anxious, I need to get some answers as to what it could be

just be careful that your GP does not send some report disqualifying you from driving (I don't know how it is over there, but such is required here (depending)

Myself (I'm turning 55 soon) I am not "frightened" or "anxious" about anything, I just observe and attempt to understand.

To describe my experience better it was nothing I felt, but saw. So I closed my eyes (I wasn't driving ;-) and could not identify any problems. Opening 1 eye seemed to reveal a bit of 'motion' in one eye, but opening both together resulted in a whirling of scenery.

Once I was coming down the mountain on my motorbike, so I pulled over and waited on the side of the road for it to clear.

Myself I feel that reporting intermittent faults (say, to a mechanic) will result in "bring it back when its stuck like this" but to medical people it results in a bevy of tests and perhaps expense ... so I wait till I know there's a problem.

Myself, I don't tend to imagine the exotic and one case in 100,000 issues will be likely to be happening to me. YMMV

Best Wishes

Paul1972;n886178 said:
Hi all , I’ve just had my 4th but worst episode of double vision in the last 2 months that came on like flicking a switch on and lasted for roughly 10 min. It really scared me so I managed to sit down as I felt a bit disorientated to . I closed my eyes and when I kept opening them I felt as if I was crossed eyed and I still couldn’t focus on anything eventually it cleared. Have any of you had similar experiences to share with me or any feed back that you could give me as to what caused this . Regards Paul 1972

Had second AVR a little more than year ago. Had migraines before, but for last year have experienced as you describe, definite OHS result . Seems to occur more when trying to track movement into peripheral spaces. 90% of mine last less than 30 seconds, a few might be close to a minute (but time seems to slow during the event, so it seems longer).

Cheers Pellicle and DDT77, i really appreciate you guys taking time out to explain your experiences, I’m definatly not alone with my vision trouble so there’s no need for me to panic and feel the worse,thinking it’s a blood clot travelling around,I’m naturally a worrier and now having 2 open heart surgery’s in the space of 11 months that came out of the blue has really knocked my confidence about my heart .Regard Paul x

Paul1972;n886208 said:
... I’m definatly not alone with my vision trouble

definately ... and thanks DDT77 for adding in your information. I can personallly relate to a bit of that ... but in my case this has occured some 5 years post surgery

Paul

I think I can understand about the "knocking of confidence" ... while perhaps I've not gone through the same things as you, I most definately have had my struggles since "the **** stopped happening" in mid 2013. It took a few years to stop work through.

My advice is only to keep moving forward and to accept that while some things are within our control, much isn't.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html

Best Wishes

Cheers once again for you input Pellicle your words and information is so good to read . Best wishes Paul.

Hi Leadville, Thanks for taking time out to reply that was a interesting read . At least now I no I’m not the only one with vision issues which is comforting to know . Good to hear from you hope you are doing well Regards Paul .

I haven't experienced this, but Googled "short episodes of double vision", and apart from the obvious "drinking too much alcohol" which I assumed did not apply, I came across this site https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/double-vision.htm which seemed to offer some possible causes. There are the usual caveats of beware what you read on the Internet, but definitely a good idea to see the doctor I think.

Hi Andy good to hear from you I hope you are well , that was an interesting read and thankyou for taking time out to give me some info . I’m going to my gp when I get home as this latest episode has happened while I’m in Lanzarote :-( Best wishes Paul

pellicle;n886202 said:
just be careful that your GP does not send some report disqualifying you from driving (I don't know how it is over there, but such is required here (depending)...

A person should be restricted from driving if they have certain problems. I know more than one person who crashed their car or were hit by someone and the driver shouldn't have been driving.

Plus if you don't tell your doctor about your problems for fear of losing your driver's license, you may lose your life because your medical problem wasn't properly diagnosed.

Anyway, they take your license, not your car, last time I checked, my car would start w/o a license :)

Back