Double Valve Recommendation and Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Had a meeting with my surgeon regarding my situation. For those that don't remember me from before - I have a stenotic and regurgitating aortic valve and a prolapsed (and regurgitating) mitral valve. I'm looking to replace the aortic valve and get the mitral valve repaired. I'm looking to get out of the waiting room very soon.

The surgeon does believe he can repair the mitral valve, which is good news. However, we did briefly talk about the double replacement option. He told me that he would not recommend a double replacement with two mechanical valves. I didn't really pursue the conversation in detail because I wasn't going to get the double replacement and we had a lot to go over as it was. He said he would recommend a tissue aortic valve and a mechanical mitral valve for a double replacement. His rationale was that the research indicated a poor interaction between the two mechanical valves due to their close proximity to one another.

So, my question: Has anybody heard of this? I tried to do some internet searching (well, my poor excuse for internet searching), but came up with nothing.

I spoke to someone who has two mechanical valves. He can only hear one click.
If the surgeon is approachable, I'd ask for the research papers. Sounds like baloney... but hey.
Anyway, if he can repair the mitral valve that's great.

hi fingers, maybe have a word if you can with another surgeon? imo surgeons should know more than most so would be bending there ears, there the experts

I would also ask the surgeon "What is 'Plan B' if you cannot repair the mitral valve?" They may feel that they can repair the mitral valve now, but it may be different once they get in there.

Also, consider getting an opinion from Cleveland Clinic regarding valve choice. They have a program whereby they can do remote consultations, so you don't have to travel there unless you decide to go there for surgery. They are most definitely one of the top hospitals (if not THE top one) for heart valve surgery in the US.

I'd be concerned about getting one tissue and one mechanical in a double replacement. Isn't that the worst of both worlds, with warfarin and reoperation (unless you are old enough to outlive a tissue valve) both guaranteed? Why not get two tissue valves if two mechanical is not advisable and possibly avoid the warfarin?

Fingers;n870509 said:
Had a meeting with my surgeon regarding my situation. For those that don't remember me from before - I have a stenotic and regurgitating aortic valve and a prolapsed (and regurgitating) mitral valve. I'm looking to replace the aortic valve and get the mitral valve repaired. I'm looking to get out of the waiting room very soon.

The surgeon does believe he can repair the mitral valve, which is good news. However, we did briefly talk about the double replacement option. He told me that he would not recommend a double replacement with two mechanical valves. I didn't really pursue the conversation in detail because I wasn't going to get the double replacement and we had a lot to go over as it was. He said he would recommend a tissue aortic valve and a mechanical mitral valve for a double replacement. His rationale was that the research indicated a poor interaction between the two mechanical valves due to their close proximity to one another.

So, my question: Has anybody heard of this? I tried to do some internet searching (well, my poor excuse for internet searching), but came up with nothing.
I never heard that, but would be interested in hearing other people'say experiences, since I am scheduled to get my aortic and mitral valves both replaced with mechanical ones in three weeks.

Back