Dosage help...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus52

Hey all,

I'm still kinda new at this, I am 53 and 9 weeks post surgery with an OnX valve. Trying to keep my INR between 2.0-3.0. I have been doing a pretty good job until I had a Dr. Tell me to cut my dose in half because I was gonna take antibiotics for 5 days and it dropped to 1.4. My Cardio put me on lovenox and I took my warfarin for a day at 10 then 7 5 then back to my normal dose of 5per day. Two weeks later my INR was 3 5 so I went to 2.5 twice a week and it fell to 2.4, then 2 weeks later it was 2.2 so I went to 2.5 one day a week and it still dropped to 1.9. they told me to go back to just 5 a day. I ain't buying it. I know over time my dosage should slide upwards but wondering how I should handle this. My diet is consistent and I'm being tested in my doc's office via finger stick.

Thanks

If I understand correctly you were staying in range at 5/daily before all this began. Like you doc said I'd go back to the 5. I've often had yo-yo swings when I made significant changes in my warfarin. If you are like me take baby steps when adjusting warfarin dosing.

Thank you sir. Yeah I'm sticking to 5mg per day for the next 2 weeks. The only change in the last few weeks is exercise. I'm doing pretty good 5+ mile walks/hikes plus cardio rehab. Not really sure if rehab at this point is necessary but that's a different topic for a different day....

Back