Dorsai's recovery: Day 6

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsai

On Wednesday 10/21 I had a valve-sparing procedure by Dr. Chen at Emory University here in Atlanta, to replace an aortic root aneurysm. I thought I'd share a few notes on what I went through and how my recovery is going.

On the day of surgery we had to be at the hospital in a waiting area at 0530. A little after 0600 they called us back (my wife was with me) to begin a prep process. All of my clothes and personal items were put in a bag, and I was given a standard issue hospital gown. Different people came by to put a wrist band on me, confirm who I was, and why I was there. After that came the clipping - apparently they don't shave you any more, just trim *all* your hair from neck to knees short. After that was done the anesthetist came back and started drugging me up, and sent my wife - that was the last I remember. After that several lines were inserted, and my wife came back and chatted with me for a while - or so I am told. At 0745 I am wheeled off to surgery, where I will remain for a number of hours.

Apparently my valve didn't want to do as Dr. Chen told it to, so they had a bit of a struggle - which he eventually won. He takes great pride in his work, and doesn't like it when things don't go as they're supposed to. I have no complaints with this attitude.

Early evening I arrive in ICU, where they remove the ventilator tube. I don't recall this at all, which suits me fine. I vaguely remember my wife coming in briefly at some point, along with my parents, but that first evening is a blur.

I'm in the ICU the rest of Wednesday and all day Thursday, and transferred to my regular room on Friday. Why I was in the ICU for that long, I have no idea. I wasn't in any post-surgical distress (other than some air around a lung or something, which they corrected easily enough), and my dominant recollection of the time is just being uncomfortable - not in pain, necessarily, but I couldn't find a comfortable position to relax.

Friday morning is transfer to the regular room. Add boredom to discomfort. I don't really have the attention span to watch TV, and there's nothing good on anyway. I discover that I am better off in the recliner than in the bed, so I move into the chair and 'nest' there. I discover if I position the chair next to the bed and the table next to the chair (everything is on wheels, so this is no real chore), I can keep everything I need within reach, with the bathroom only a short distance away. I'm told by the nurse that my first task is to start peeing by 6pm, which I in fact accomplish before 4pm. I'm able to walk back and forth to the bathroom with no difficulty.

I believe Friday is when they started feeding me...and let me say, the food at Emory is awful. I doubt I ate a full meal's worth in total the rest of my time there, it was that bad. I forced myself to eat a little of everything, however, because I knew I needed to. But I suspect this caused problems in reaching my next goal, having a bowel movement. I eventually produced some gas and some rumblings that satisfied the staff, but it wasn't until today (day 6) that I had what I would consider a proper movement.

When I first got to my room they were talking about me going home 'Monday or Tuesday', then they started talking just about 'Monday', and eventually they started mumbling about 'tomorrow or Monday' - apparently they were happy with my progress. Sunday morning I asked my nurse if we could go for a discharge that day, since I wasn't sleeping well at all (despite regular applications of Percocet or morphine) in the room and thought I'd do better at home. She agreed, and promised to take it up with the doctor.

She was good to her word, because the doctor came by not long after, looked at all my various holes and incisions (they'd been pulling lines out of me for three days by that point, and I was down to just one IV line in the right hand by then), agreed that they were good, and further agreed that I didn't seem to have anything keeping me in the hospital. He scheduled me for a final X-ray, and said if that showed no problems I was free to go.

The three hours before they were able to administer it may have been the longest three hours in the hospital - it took seemingly forever. But eventually it was done, nothing untoward was seen, and it was time to go home. I was wheeled back to my room, my final IV line was removed, and my wife (who had showed up by then) and I began packing up.

Soon enough we were packed, I signed the discharge papers, and was given a stack of prescriptions to have filled, along with lengthy instructions on what to do and not to do, and how to contact the surgery team should any problems arise. I was told to schedule a follow-up visit with my regular cardiologist in a week's time, and was shown the door.

The ride home was uneventful, but tiring - and uncomfortable, what with trying to protect the main incision from the seatbelt. After saying hello to everyone at home I immediately went to the bedroom, where my family had positioned our glider, and took a short nap. That evening I got up, had a small meal of real food (thank GOD), socialized for a few minutes as I was able, then went to sleep in the glider.

I still am not sleeping well, but I've slept a little better each day - I think I got several good hours last night. As of now I am in no real pain, and haven't been taking much pain medication. I'm going to sleep in the glider again tonight, but I may try the bed soon...I was able to get into and out of it today without as much pain as when I was in the hospital.

The only real issues I have at this point are peripheral ones...my left little and ring finger are numb, and there's a sharp ache under my right arm - both consequences of being on the operating table for so long. They're both getting better, so I am not worried about them - on Friday, my entire left hand was numb. I might be retaining a little water, but the amount isn't increasing - so again, I am not too worried about it.

That's really about it to this point - all in all, it hasn't been too bad. Tedious and tiresome to be sure, but that's about it. Further updates as events warrant.

Sounds great! Im right there with you.. im trying to walk a few times a day, i dont know if your to that point yet? If not...dont rush it...take your time. I could probably be doing more, but i dont want to push it. Anyway, keep it up, and good luck with everything.

Let's see, 15 paragraphs of coherently written description of your Surgery and Reovery with no grammatical errors that I detected in one reading.

I'd say your Recovery is EXCELLENT.

Keep up the Good Work !

'AL Capshaw'

Ah, the joys of post-heart-surgery hospital food, where every bowl of chicken broth tastes like they drowned a poor old chicken in it and swished it around a few times. Ugh and eek :eek: !

I had some numb fingers too. An effort at gently rolling my shoulders back seemed to help me with that. Don't hunch forward over the computer either.

Did your surgeon instruct you to use a spirometer? If so, keep up with that handy-dandy little device.

Al - The funny thing is, those fifteen paragraphs were easier to write than the initial two-sentence report I posted from my Blackberry in ICU...so maybe that really is progress. :)

Lily - The fingers seem to be getting better - today, it's just the pinky that's bothering me. I agree, hunching over the computer is bad...I've learned not to do that.

And yes, I have a spirometer I am supposed to be using, but I haven't been. I've been doing deep-breathing exercises without it however, and can feel my lung capacity improving. Maybe I'll pull the spirometer out today just to be sure. :)

I'm impressed, too. I kept typing words backward when I tried to post.

You'll be glad you recorded all this. Right now you think it's imprinted forever, but gradually you forget. But I still keep asking my husband every once in a while about how things went in those early days.

Good to see you're doing so well!

Dorsai great to hear you made it. you may recall i had the same visit that you had with chen except on monday. My surgery went much the same as yours did so it sounds. Chen is really a top notch surgeon. I was looking for you during my walks. however i was discharged on saturday, left icu on tues. I too am having difficulty sleeping, I called emory about it yesterday and they said try advil pm. it worked better I got a solid 6hrs of seep vs. only about2-3. well good luck on your continuing recovery, I'm sure i'll be talking to you later.

After that came the clipping - apparently they don't shave you any more, just trim *all* your hair from neck to knees short.

I believe Friday is when they started feeding me...and let me say, the food at Emory is awful.

lucky.

i got shaved big time. neck to toes with the electric razor, the special
place with a straight razor. talk about scary!

but the food was excellent!!!

good luck, and do use the spirometer, you'll be glad you did.

Day 10 Update -

Things are progressing well. Most of my aches and pains from the surgery have disappeared (my left pinky is still numb, but that's it), and my incisions aren't troubling me at all. In fact, they're feeling good enough that I have to be careful not to absentmindedly do things that I shouldn't.

The sleep situation is improving, but slowly. I did two more nights in the recliner, then moved back to my bed. The problem there is that I am a side-sleeper, and I can *not* get on my side without hurting myself. So I am sleeping (poorly) on my back - popping a couple of pain pills before bedtime seems to be the only thing that helps, and that just a bit. I'm probably getting four hours a night right now.

The weather has been crummy here in Atlanta, so a regular exercise program hasn't really materialized yet. I did walk around the neighborhood a couple of days ago with no difficulty, and I've been doing laps in the house as well to try to keep some activity going. Blood pressure (145/100) and resting pulse (85) are still high, but may be starting to decline a bit. I'm taking my metoprolol religiously. Most of the rest of the meds are unnecessary - I take the aspirin, of course, and my cholesterol medication, but I only take my pain meds to sleep, I have no (known) need for the indigestion meds, and the stool softer was discontinued after it proved a little too effective.

My appetite seems nearly normal, and I am starting to participate again in the life of the household - there's lots of stuff I can't do (such as pumpkin carving this evening!), but lots of things I can - I grilled pork chops tonight, I'm back to reading my son his bedtime stories, things like that.

In short, things appear to be going well - it's hard to believe it's been only 10 days. My first followup appointment with my cardiologist is set for 11/11, which will be the three-week mark. Hopefully he will have good news for me as well.

I have a friend whose father may be going through valve replacement surgery, so I came back here to look at my old posts...and realized I never closed this out. So even though it's been nearly five years since my surgery, let me add on to this.

Sleep remained a problem for a while. I called my cardiologist about it, and he prescribed me some mild sleeping pills - I don't remember which ones they were. But they were enough to get me to sleep, and by the time the prescription ran out (maybe a week?), I was able to sleep normally. So that worked out well.

I also started experiencing a burning sensation just under my sternum, which only manifested when I tried to get in or out of bed. Apparently this was an expected side effect of getting my sternum opened up, and went away after a couple of weeks. But those two weeks were pretty rough...it was quite painful at one point.

Otherwise, recovery went very smoothly. I started taking walks around the neighborhood, which is a half-mile loop, doing that once or twice a day. After a week or two of that I started walking to the pizza joint (about a mile away) for lunch daily, which was also no problem. My followups with the surgeon and the cardiologist all went well, and my metoprolol dosage was periodically reduced. By six weeks I was cleared to go back to work, as well as to begin driving. I still had occasional aches and pains for a few months, but by a year or so even those went away, and these days I have no reminders of the surgery, other than the scars. I still take the metoprolol, but only 50mg daily instead of the 150mg I started at. I visit the cardiologist once a year, and all of those visits have gone smoothly. In short, I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

Dorsai - It is good to hear how well you've done. In the time you've been away, I managed to have my valve replaced and bang into a bunch of other obstacles in recovery, but as you said so well, I, too, couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

Come on back and visit. Folks who come back to tell of how good life can be, and how well it returns to "normal" (are any of us truly normal?) make great reading for the new members who are still in The Waiting Room.

Day 3,225 Update -

Just decided to pop back in here for no particular reason, glad to see the forum is still up and running. I'm two months short of my 9th surgical anniversary, and everything has been super - if it weren't for the scars, I'd never know I'd had any work done. I still take the metoprolol (50mg), but I doubt I really need to - I mostly do it to keep my cardiologist happy. I got a call from the surgeon's office a few weeks ago, requesting that the next time I go to my cardiologist to have him forward my latest test results for routine long-term followup purposes. That visit is in a couple of weeks, and I expect it to be the usual 10 minute visit - he listens to my heart, asks me a few questions, then we BS for a few minutes and I'm on my way. Maybe he'll schedule me for something to make Dr. Chen happy, maybe not...we'll see.

Couldn't be happier.

Back