Don't feel as bad ??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diana

I am waiting for MVR repair/replacement but this week I am feeling much better, almost to the extent where I wonder if I need the op. Did anyone else get days like this?. Still could not climb any hills and get breathless. Maybe its psychological as the surgery time gets closer - any comments anyone? Diana

Hello Diana

I had AVR (homograft) back in February this year and right up to surgery date I felt great. I had no symptoms and the only reason I went ahead when I did was because the doctors said my valve was badly calcified and I should give up playing competitive tennis (the love of my life).

So for me, it was a great leap of faith in trusting the medical profession that I was "due" for surgery. So many times I asked myself "why am I doing this when I feel so great?"

Anyway, after the surgery, I look back and realise that I must have been slowly deteriorating over afew years without becoming aware of it. Because afterwards (=now) I feel so great. I had to physch myself up for surgery on the belief that it would be the start of a new life. And it was, because now, 4 months post op, there's nothing I can't do.

The surgeon said after the op that the valve was due to come out, so that made me feel better as well.

I went into my surgery very well informed and confident in my surgical team and with full knowledge of why I was doing it. I suggest that if you have any doubts, get another opinion. Otherwise, go for it!!!!

Best wishes

Diana - I was the same as Gerry - no symptoms prior to my AVR in March. I just trusted the doctors knew it was needed, and in the surgeons report after the operation he said the valve was severely stenosed.

I have had some setbacks with A-fib and high blood pressure since my surgery, and I sometimes find myself thinking "why didn't I leave well alone". But of course it wasn't well and maybe by now I would have added to the sudden death statistics.

Sending you every good wish. Along with everyone else I shall be thinking of you.

Diana,

I was feeling pretty bad when I went to see my cardiologist the first time. He told me my heart wouldn?t survive heart surgery! He put me on meds and I started feeling LOTS better. When he told me it was time for the surgery 3 months later...I didn?t wanna go!! I at least wanted to wait until my kids were out of school. (another 2 months) But he kept telling me ?sooner is better, Lorraine, sooner is better?

Waiting to long is what got my heart so screwed up to begin with. I wish I had it to do over again, I?d have the surgery a couple YEARS earlier than I did. If you're not sure, get a second opinion... but please don't wait to long to have the surgery.

I remember walking in the hospital that morning REALLY wondering if this was something I should be doing! I think we all feel that way to some extent... it?s scarey stuff!

Rain

Diana - I don't think you should let the symptoms fool you. I had my surgery this past Jan, but had virtually no symptoms and even played softball the previous summer. I wondered about whether I was doing the right thing just before surgery. After the surgery, the surgeon asked my wife, "why did they wait so long?" Anyway, in retrospect I should have done this earlier.

Have you had a TEE (transesophagael echogram)?

Supposedly that gives a more accurate picture of what is going on with your valves than an echo through the chest or catheterization.

I had an AVR scheduled but was concerned that the doctors all said my symptoms were worse than should be expected based on my catheterization. The TEE showed my aortic stenosis was only moderate (not yet severe) but they also discovered moderate mitral valve regurgitation which had not been previously diagnosed. They cancelled my surgery and changed my medications which has resulted in some improvement. I'm glad I had the TEE performed before going through with what would have been a premature surgery.

'AL'

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you everybody. It' so good to be able to have all this feedback. I have had a few opinions but here in the UK the system is so different. The first consultant I saw only said "it's not desperate - you can go home". I had to make a lot of enquiries and do some research to better understand the problem I've got. Two surgeons were happy just to give me a replacement MV without telling me about any alternatives. The third one, in a London heart hospital. has told me the leaflets of the MV are calcified and stuck together and the AV will also need doing in time. He will try to do a repair and treat the AF at the same time and in 10 years the AV might need doing. I'm going to stick with him! For Al, yes, I did have a TEE which gave the better picture of the valves. Diana

Dianne,
I had MVR in October.... I had lived with my bad valve for so long that I didn't even realize that there was anything wrong with me! Like you I had good days and bad... my EF was 20% when they did my surgery... up to a whopping 40% now! Good luck with your surgery and I hope they are able to repair rather than replace!

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi Diana ...same thing here ...I feel I have no real symptoms ,although my GP keeps telling me I need to admit I've slowed down and am tired all the time ..I just answer ..with my lifestyle anyone would be tired ..However ..I'm been treated in Edinburgh in July ...hopefully gong to be a repair ..although GP has said I will need a replacement valve one day ...I've yet to meet a consultant ..this should happen in July when I make the big trip south to Edinburgh ...I think our American friends have no real understanding of how differently our NHS works ...we don't choose our consultants or surgeons ...heck I've still to meet them yet ...it can be quite hard to have faith in people you have never met ....but now with coming here I do have a lot of questions I want answered before I let any knife near me ....I do wonder how they will react ...here in Scotland we almost treat the surgeons like Gods ....
Take care
Scottie

I have to echo Gerry's reply. I didn't think I really had any symptoms suggesting surgery, but I was a lot more sluggish over the past winter. Now, three months post surgery, I feel like I have much more energy than before the surgery. Also, my stenosis was only moderate, but my regurgitation was into the severe range, which I understand deals with the increase in size of the left ventricle which I had. I'm definitely glad I had the surgery.

Hi Diana,

I agree with all the posts here. My AVR (homograph) was done on 12-15-00. I showed very little in the way of symptoms. My cardiologist at the time wanted me to wait a little while longer. After reading all the posts on this forum I decided that later was not the best way. And urged my cardio to push the date along.

When the surgeon talked to me later his comment was it was good that I had it done now. He took the valve out in pieces.

We here at this sight know that the wait is the worst! Once you get through it you will see that it was not so bad. I'll be praying for you and a smooth surgery and recovery. martha

Latest posts

Back