Donating Blood

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BillC

Is anyone aware of any special concerns we should have in donating Blood after AVR? My company has a blood drive coming up and I have A-Negative blood which is always in demand. Before surgery, I used to donate fairly regularly. I'm now 15 months post-op, and I'd think it wouldn't be any big deal, assuming one is in good health, which I am. Just curious if anyone's gotten any guidelines on this.

You better ask your dr. Once upon a time at 24 yo I had my tonsils out, our company had a blood drive and I was going to give, but at last minute decided to call my dr who said "no way". Also after my bypass, my primary took one look at me and said "you are pale", gave me Rx iron, sent me to hosp and sure nuff was anemic. To be on the safe side, ask your dr but others will come along and give you their experiences on this subject. God bless

You may be ok

You may be ok

I know that if you are on coumadin - it's a definate no-no. They won't even take it if you brought it to them already bagged up :) . But since you aren't a mechanical man, they may very well want to suck you dry. You should call the red cross and ask? Their website may very well have the info too. American Red Cross

My husband just went to post op appointment this last week (5 1/2 weeks postop) We asked MD about donating , He said "Go For It" "We're glad to get it" Just the blood bank may want a letter from your MD or may call and get a verbal ok. He didn't see a problem. Jeff had a homograft AVR and no other health problems. Should always check with your MD! Jeffs wife, Patty

Thanks..

Thanks..

Thanks for the info. As Patty says, I'm gonna "go for it". Tell Jeff we hope he continues to do well. I love hearing about more homograft success stories. When I joined the group this time last year, there was only one other Homograft AVR in the group (JimH). Now there are all kinds of tissue-valve AVR stories -- and all are good.

Latest posts

Back