Dog got Sick

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinemc

My dog, Dixie, got sick two weeks ago, took her to the vet. She was not eating for over two days, very weak and looked sad in the eyes. He looked her over, sent her home with antibiotics. Two days later, she was not getting better, got blood work done, inconclusive of what was causing her illness, but her red cell count was low. No transfusion needed, and gave her steroid pills to take. The next week, was switched on her antibiotic and then was seen on yesterday. Her blood drop showed a slight improvement, up 2 points, but at least not going down. She is 13 years old and been together for 12, a rescue for both, from Wayside Waifs for those from MO might have heard of it. They do great work. But she is eating a little better, strength is coming back and life and sparkle back into her loving eyes. That is why I was off for the last two weeks. I will keep you all posted as she progresses back to health. She brought me back from my dark period and now I am bringing her back from being so sick. Hugs for everyone today. :)

Me and our Winston 🐶 are rooting for you and Dixie

All the best, give Dixie a hug from me (y)

I NEED a dog. My wife and I have had at least one dog since 1975 (maybe one year either way). When our chihuahua died - at 18 years old - on January 2, 2018, I (we?) decided that we may not get another dog -- the fear was, that if either of us (or both) dies before the dog does, nobody would want to take in an older dog.

Carolinemc - I hope your dog makes a swift and complete recovery.

(One strange thing that is probably completely unrelated to your dog -- I used to take my warfarin in the bathroom. I'd break a pill in half, then take it. A little bit of powder would fall on the floor, near the bathroom sink.

One of my dogs suddenly started exhibiting abnormal bleeding. I'm not sure if I took her to the vet for an INR. It appeared that she licked the floor where I had been taking my warfarin, and the small amount that she got from the warfarin 'dust' was enough to anticoagulate her blood.

I now prepare a week's worth of pills in the kitchen, and don't have to worry about a dog licking the powder off the floor - but the issue, though weird, is something that some dog owners may want to think about if the dog suddenly gets ill.

What kind of dog is Dixie? I'm assuming that she's probably a toy because larger breeds don't live as long as Dixie has.

And - for the administrator - this is NOT politics, but probably not all that closely related to valve replacement, either. (Of course, it IS health related, because even if they aren't called 'service dogs,' they DO keep us happy (until they get sick) and give us a reason to keep going...)

What kind of dog is Dixie? I'm assuming that she's probably a toy because larger breeds don't live as long as Dixie has.

And - for the administrator - this is NOT politics, but probably not all that closely related to valve replacement, either. (Of course, it IS health related, because even if they aren't called 'service dogs,' they DO keep us happy (until they get sick) and give us a reason to keep going...)
The Sick Dog thread was started in the Small Talk forum. I bet that you could PM the administrator and discuss your concerns that way too.

I am sorry everyone, but I had to put my BFF Dixie down today. She took a turn for the worst. She was very week from her battle, her body could no longer fight against her autoimmune system. It was a battle she fought bravely. Took her to an Animal Emergency hospital and her gums were very pale and her red blood cell count was low. I could have done the blood transfusion, but at what cost to keep her alive to suffer. I could not do that to her. She was aware of what was happening and was given dignity and respect. She left this earth like a grand lady she was. I will get another dog in a few weeks or so. But I will never forget my BFF Dixie, a Boston Terrier mix, 13 years and 4 months young. She will me greatly missed.

I NEED a dog. My wife and I have had at least one dog since 1975 (maybe one year either way). When our chihuahua died - at 18 years old - on January 2, 2018, I (we?) decided that we may not get another dog -- the fear was, that if either of us (or both) dies before the dog does, nobody would want to take in an older dog.

Carolinemc - I hope your dog makes a swift and complete recovery.

(One strange thing that is probably completely unrelated to your dog -- I used to take my warfarin in the bathroom. I'd break a pill in half, then take it. A little bit of powder would fall on the floor, near the bathroom sink.

One of my dogs suddenly started exhibiting abnormal bleeding. I'm not sure if I took her to the vet for an INR. It appeared that she licked the floor where I had been taking my warfarin, and the small amount that she got from the warfarin 'dust' was enough to anticoagulate her blood.

I now prepare a week's worth of pills in the kitchen, and don't have to worry about a dog licking the powder off the floor - but the issue, though weird, is something that some dog owners may want to think about if the dog suddenly gets ill.
My Dixie was anemic from some form of infection and the red blood cells attacked the body. Her red blood cell count was very low and she fought very hard, trying to eat for her BFF. This morning, I had to rush her to an Animal Emergency Hospital, where I decided to have her put down instead of putting her through blood transfusions that may not have help her. I could not put her through any more than she had already. She went out the lady she was all her life with me, rescued 12 years ago, she was 13 years old. She was a great dog, Boston Terrier mix, a medium size dog. She will be missed, but not forgotten. Thank you for letting me share my heartbreak. But I do intend to get another dog in a few months.

The Sick Dog thread was started in the Small Talk forum. I bet that you could PM the administrator and discuss your concerns that way too.
I'm not concerned with the thread being here. In fact, I'm glad that it is.

I was just responding to the administrator's apparent concern that everything on this site should be health related.

My Dixie was anemic from some form of infection and the red blood cells attacked the body. Her red blood cell count was very low and she fought very hard, trying to eat for her BFF. This morning, I had to rush her to an Animal Emergency Hospital, where I decided to have her put down instead of putting her through blood transfusions that may not have help her. I could not put her through any more than she had already. She went out the lady she was all her life with me, rescued 12 years ago, she was 13 years old. She was a great dog, Boston Terrier mix, a medium size dog. She will be missed, but not forgotten. Thank you for letting me share my heartbreak. But I do intend to get another dog in a few months.
Caroline: I'm very sorry about Dixie, but at least she won't have to suffer.
I've shared my life with many dogs, and never forget them. I'll bet that you won't forget Dixie.

It would be a great gesture to save another rescue dog.

I am sorry everyone, but I had to put my BFF Dixie down today. She took a turn for the worst. She was very week from her battle, her body could no longer fight against her autoimmune system. It was a battle she fought bravely. Took her to an Animal Emergency hospital and her gums were very pale and her red blood cell count was low. I could have done the blood transfusion, but at what cost to keep her alive to suffer. I could not do that to her. She was aware of what was happening and was given dignity and respect. She left this earth like a grand lady she was. I will get another dog in a few weeks or so. But I will never forget my BFF Dixie, a Boston Terrier mix, 13 years and 4 months young. She will me greatly missed.
Caroline, I am so sorry for your loss. I have gone through what you are going through. Wishing you comfort and the best in finding your next fur baby.

I've seen where they've stopped calling them 'Pets' and are now referring to them as 'companion animals.' Even dogs that are used as K9 police officers, or as seeing eye or other 'working' dogs are also companions after hours - they stay with their owners or handlers and usually have a very strong bond with them.

I miss my dogs.

My condolences.

Walking is my exercise. When my dog died I knew I needed a new one, since I become that weird man walking in the neighborhood at 6:30am and 10pm. "What is he a peeping Tom?" If you have a dog, you're just the "dog walker." :)

I know about Wayside Waifs and KC Pet Project. My current dog came from them. They do good work. You can foster a dog, and if it has existing medical problems, you don't have to pay for the care. For example, my current dog had heart worms and was fostered through her treatment and after until she was out of the woods. That's when got her. If you get a dog from foster care, you get a better idea of it's personality and interactions. We like black dogs and pits or pit mixes, the kind of the dogs a lot of people don't want, thus we take 'em.

If you can, share a picture of Dixie, below is my current one, Esme.
Esme.jpg

Last edited:
My condolences.

Walking is my exercise. When my dog died I knew I needed a new one, since I become that weird man walking in the neighborhood at 6:30am and 10pm. "What is he a peeping Tom?" If you have a dog, you're just the "dog walker." :)

I know about Wayside Waifs and KC Pet Project. My current dog came from them. They do good work. You can foster a dog, and if it has existing medical problems, you don't have to pay for the care. For example, my current View attachment 887195dog had heart worms and was fostered through her treatment and after until she was out of the woods. That's when got her. If you get a dog from foster care, you get a better idea of it's personality and interactions. We like black dogs and pits or pit mixes, the kind of the dogs a lot of people don't want, thus we take 'em.
Good for you, Tom. We have a 10 year old Pit who is the best natured dog in the world. I get teary eyed at the thought that he will one day leave us.

We like black dogs and pits or pit mixes, the kind of the dogs a lot of people don't want, thus we take 'em.
Bless your heart, Tom! My prior profession was in animal rescue, specifically Foster Coordinating so I have an intimate familiarity with how important foster families are. Pitties are my absolutely favorite...my current dog is a pittie that was thrown away (literally--we found him in a dumpster!) and he is the most special dog I have ever met. If a dog comes with a special need--missing appendages, eye balls, organs, or is an old dog, behaviorally or medically challenged, prior mom dog, abused or neglected, I have a soft spot for them. I am the crazy dog lady! That dog looks like the sweetest thing. What's its name?

@carolinemc I'm so sorry to hear of this loss. Our canine friends tend to take a piece of our hearts when they leave us, and replace that piece with a piece of their own. She will be with you forever, and what better way to honor her and her impact on your life than rescue another dog. BIG hugs to you.

Latest posts

Back