Does Biological/Tissue AVR b/c of Aortic Stenosis calcification carry higher risk of subsequent Tissue Valve calcification?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vp69

As the question states I am curious if anyone knows of any data to suggest any correlation on the structural valve degeneration of biological/tissue valves happening at a higher rate or increased risk for people who had aortic valve replacements due to aortic stenosis rather than valve replacement due to pure aortic insufficiency. Also if anyone knows any correlation to other co-morbidities that patients have such as diabetes or on dialysis or something else that would carry with it a higher risk of calcification and thrombosis issues elsewhere in the body. We know many studies have shown age is an independent risk factor for earlier structural valve degeneration in tissue valves but curious why this might be the case and if there's any other reasons, wonder if activity level or obesity or weight/or anything else affecting the total volume of blood passing through has any effect or if there are other immune system related things going on in the body that can somehow be controlled to achieve better results. Would be curious to see more data on more patient characteristics who had early tissue valve failure

Hi vp69.
To answer your question, possibly.
Can you provide additional info? Are you bicuspid or tricuspid?
If bicuspid, then this is most likely the driving force behind calcification. If tricuspid and you’re experiencing calcification in your 40s, 50s or 60s, that would be unusually young and it could be due to high Lp(a). There has been some correlation between higher Lp(a) and tissue prosthetic valve SVD.
Also, Dr Pibarot in Canada published a paper on factors which were shown to correlate with faster SVD in tissue valves. I’m on the road but can send to you when I return

Last edited:
I am curious if anyone knows of any data to suggest any correlation on the structural valve degeneration of biological/tissue valves happening at a higher rate or increased risk for people who had aortic valve replacements due to aortic stenosis rather than valve replacement due to pure aortic insufficiency
to my knowledge no.

Everyone gets the same risk based on age, sex, valve size and activity.

12220655884_58760fc0cd_o.jpg

1626992467536.png

or if you are younger than 50, you can hold your candle (and keep praying) for better results with the "new and improved" tissue prosthetic valves.

I see you're under 30 ... I know what I'd pick (if you don't have BAV or an aneurysm risk)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/01/heart-valve-information-for-choices.html

Latest posts

Back