Does Anyone Know If Vitamin C Increases or Decreases..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Julie

Does anyone know if vitamin C increases or decreases clotting time?

http://tinyurl.com/cf7yyx :D Pardon the sarcasm. It's something new I found to play with!

Although case reports have suggested that vitamin C might increase the activity of anticoagulants in a potentially dangerous way, this interaction has not been confirmed in research studies.8 In fact, a possible interference by vitamin C with the effect of anticoagulants has also been reported.9 A 52-year-old woman maintained on 7.5 mg of warfarin per day had a shortening of the blood clotting time which was not corrected by increasing warfarin up to 20 mg per day. Further questioning revealed she had begun taking an unspecified amount of vitamin C each morning. After stopping vitamin C, the blood clotting time returned to desired levels. Based on this and other case reports, people taking warfarin should consult with their physician before taking vitamin C supplements.

Only in large amounts. You'd have to be a major Vitamin C pig to do much of anything.

I don't take Vitamin C daily, but take 5000mg when I'm real sick. no effect on INR as I can tell.

I decided to take Ester C - 500mg once a day. I have a ProTime (older version) that needed to be charged - so I plugged it in and while it was charging did my test. My inr was 1.8. The only difference was that I had started the Ester C about 5 days before. I went to the coumadin home testing forum and asked if it was the Vit C or the home testing unit. Everyone on that forum blamed the C - I was thinking that I got an inaccurate reading because the machine wasn't fully charged. I stopped taking the C. I retook it 2 days later and it was back in the normal range. Does this forum think it could be the machine?
Sharon
St. Judes av 4/97

I decided to take Ester C - 500mg once a day. I have a ProTime (older version) that needed to be charged - so I plugged it in and while it was charging did my test. My inr was 1.8. The only difference was that I had started the Ester C about 5 days before. I went to the coumadin home testing forum and asked if it was the Vit C or the home testing unit. Everyone on that forum blamed the C - I was thinking that I got an inaccurate reading because the machine wasn't fully charged. I stopped taking the C. I retook it 2 days later and it was back in the normal range. Does this forum think it could be the machine?
Sharon
St. Judes av 4/97

It should cause an increase if anything, not a decrease.

Ross, are you trying to say that I am posing as somebody that had an AVR?

I seriously forgot that you had posted one. My fault, sorry. It's just that some of the things you've come off with in the past seem rather wild for someone who's had heart surgery, again, sorry.

Ross, the way I read the drug interaction info that you posted above, studies show that it could raise or lower the INR.

Witzkeyman - The body will rid itself of excess Vitamin C so there is really no reason to take more than the maximum recommended dose - 2000 mg. 90 mg is actually the RDA and most healthy humans will get that from their diet with no supplement. In fact, excess Vitamin C can cause diarrhea, so unless you want to be running at both ends, I recommend sticking to the RDA.

I didn't know I was required to say certain things. lol

Your not. Just wild things like 5000mg of Vit C and the like. That's like way more then most anyone would conceive of taking that I know of, especially heart patents and those on Coumadin. ;)

Latest posts

Back