Doctor visit question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxximom

Hi to all of you!!:)
Hope all of you are recovering nicely and to all that are still waiting..my thoughts are with you.
I am 7 weeks post-op on Tuesday from my AVR and triple bypass and I think that I am really doing very well. I fanally am getting some decent sleep since last week I was able to roll over onto my side and stomach and sleep in my "normal" pillow hugging mode.
I have my first doctors visit since my surgery tomorrow and was curious as to what usually happens at a first visit. Do they usually do a Echo or stress teat or chest xray?
I find it mind boggling that I am 7 weeks post op and have (other than the day I had the staples out) and have never had any type of follow up of any kind since the day I left the hospital. Is that the experience of most of you. I was told if I had any unusual prooblems..to go to an ER or call a doctor. Thank Goodness all has been OK..but one does wonder what IS an unusual experience as Its hard to have any frame of reference. I was just wondering if this is a typical experience. I wasn't even given any type of written instructions at dishcharge..or even a follow up phone call (gosh..I even had that after a colonoscopy..LOL)
Well I guess that 7 weeks is a long to to wonder..and a lot to late if there was a prooblem. The main thing is I'm doing well. I drove for the first time last week and went to the mall and walked today..in fact..I'm pretty tired tonight...next time I may shop!!
Waiting to here from you out there.
Keep well
Joan

Hi Joan-

At Joe's post-op appts. with the surgeon, they weighed him and took vitals, did a chest x-ray and then had a listen to his heart, looked at the incision, answered our questions, made whatever med. changes that were necessary and that was about it. Of course, if there were any unusual chest sounds or abnormal xray or vitals, or if Joe had strange symptoms, then that would have been a different story.

I'm sure you'll do just fine. If there were any unusual things happening, you would have known about them by your symptoms. You sound like you're recovering very well.

Congratulations!

Hi Joan,

After my surgery I think it was at least 8 weeks before I saw the surgeon again ( after leaving hospital), as you said they advised me tro phone if there were any problems but there was no need to actually see anyone, I think the recovery is very much down to you to manage by walking etc and getting fit, I was advised if there are no actual complication sthere is little the doctors can add at this stage. I found the rehab I attended after about 8 weeks very useful.

As to the first check up I just had a very routine examination and chat with the surgeon, it was another 2 months before they did another echo etc.

Hope it all goes well ( or maybe already has gone well!) and your recovery carries on going well.

Richard

Hi Joan,

I had an appointment with my surgeon 8 weeks after surgery, and also an apppointment with my vascular sugeron 12 weeks after surgery. I then started to see my cadiologist every 6 months, and still do.

If you have concerns, please call your doctor. Peace of mind also helps promote good health!

Rob

hi joan!
it's so good to hear you doing so nicely. my husband, joey, is 8 weeks post op today. he had an appointment with his surgeon a month after the surgery. then, he sees his cardio every 2 weeks or so. (i think it's because his cardio likes hearing the new heart beat and not htat old swooshie one!!! he's stunned each time he hears it now). he was going in for coumadin testing, but was put on a holter and had a stress test two days ago (went well) and was taken off coumadin, because they were primarily checking for a-fib. he has been on amioderone for a month or so and they plan on taking him off it in about 3 weeks. ihope it continues to work as it leaves his system (slowly) by keeping his heart in rhythm.

i imagine every doctor works differently but i think by 7 or 8 weeks they do see you. basic stats were done at first post op...bp,listen to the heart,bloods, check incision, talk, questions, etc.
i'm sure you're in good hands and as long as you feel good, i don't think i'd worry. good luck and let us know how it went, please.
be well, sylvia

Hi Joan!

Hi Joan!

Hi Joan,
So glad I dropped by today and saw your post. I am happy to hear you are doing so well. My dad is progressing well, too. He is a couple of weeks ahead of you... He is just now comfortable sleeping on his side and said it makes SUCH a difference.... He has slept off and on in a recliner since surgery. He and my mom have moved to Fla. for the winter so he can recover in a warm climate! I miss them but know it is for the best.... Let us know how your dr. appt. goes. I know it does seem like we would like them to hold our hands a little longer after such a surgery but they seem to be ready to launch us back into the ocean of life!!
Your friend,
Cindy

My first appt after quad bypass was an exam and 'how're you feelin' sort of visit and 'if you have any questions' call me. The dr did have me get an xray just before the appt so he could look into things, tho. (didn't know I had wires at the time, so didn't know that was the time to ask how many), so if you want to know, ask him as he looks at the xray. It was a regular 'after surgery' type of visit. God bless

thanks for the replies

thanks for the replies

Thank you all for your replies:eek:
I saw the cardioligist on Thursday..he was very pleased. He halved my dose of Laxix and another dieretic that I was on as my blood pressure was droping to low when I changed position from lying down to standing up and I was getting light headed..I will stop those meds altogether in a week or two if I don't start getting any edema or shortness of breath. Other than listening to my chest and answering the million questions I had..that was pretty much that. I will start rehab oon Monday and see him in January and they will run a Echo to use as a baseline at that time.Other than all the above..I am trying to get back to living my life as "normally" as possible. We went out to dinner last night with friends and then to the NC symphony concert and I felt almost like a "human being" for the first time in so long. It was a pleasure to be able to walk the long block to the theatre with out getting out of brath..belive me before surgery..it would have been impossible to do that. I am looking forward to getting "in Condition" with the rehab. I had to limit my phsical activity for so long before my surgery that even short walking causes my legs to be tired and I haven't even attempted to do stairs yet (other than the 7 that go from my garage into the house)..I know that it will be a long haul to get into condition agin..but one day at a time should do it;)
Cindy..It was nice to hear from you again..I'm so glad that your Dad is doing well and enjoyong Florida. We may go down to viiiisit some friends for a week later in the winter. I'm sure that you must be glad to have your life 'back to normal"
Being able to roll over in my sleep whenever I want has been so wonderful after having to sleep on my back (the lack of sleep was really getting to me) for 6 weeks haas been wonderful..I missed hugging my pillows very much!;) ;)
All of you..continue to heal and send out all of your good advise to all of us who need it
Joan

Joan - it sounds as if you're doing REALLY well. I'm so pleased for you. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back