Do you wake up in a gown in ICU?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hey everyone, I was wondering from people who have already have their surgery if, after the surgery, you wake up in a gown or were you exposed? Thanks in advance.

Before heading down to the O.R. waiting room, I changed into the wrap-a-around type hospital gown then signed some papers (which I almost didn't sign) indicated how long the surgery would take.

You are put in a gown before you go into surgery. When you wake up, you won't care what you are dressed in, only that you woke up.

Gown, blanket and that uncomfortable tube down my throat. A lot of people dont remember ICU ...

Although I woke up in a gown, covered with a blanket, I probably wouldn't have noticed if they had me on display in my birthday suit! Most of us are so "out of it" when we first awake that we don't pay any attention to things like wardrobe.

If you are worried about seeing all of your own tubes, bandages and gadgets, you will be groggy enough that even that won't bother you.

It is all sort of a foggy experience. The medical staff are really very good about helping us patients to preserve some last bit of dignity, as long as things are going smoothly. If the alarms go off, all modesty goes out the window and they do whatever needs to be done. After things calm down, you're back in your gown and blankie.

I had a few episodes like that whenever my monitor would flat-line when I was in CICU. Once they determined that I needed a pacemaker, then installed a temporary unit (until I could be scheduled for an implant), and things went back to calm and my wardrobe ceased to malfunction.

I agree with Steve. I wouldn't have noticed if I was in my birthday suit and they sold tickets to the public to view the show :) I was out of it!! My surgery was on Fri. And I didn't really become conscious until Sun. I vomited in CCU and was given a bath while still under the anesthesia (sorry for the visual) and I had male nurses. I was several days post op before I was really "aware" enough to even consider that a whole bunch of strangers had seen me in various states of undress. And thankfully, they put the catheter in while I was under the anesthesia. I think that would have been more embarrassing than anything else!

My best day post surgically was actually when I was in ICU ! I had surgery on the Monday afternoon and I became fully awake at some point during the very early hours of Tuesday. I don't remember the ventilator tube (I have a photo of me on it though when I was still unconscious - I look quite peaceful and I'm covered tightly in a white blanket with some straps showing coming out the side, probably to keep me secure, only my face and head visible with the tube tied round). Once awake, I remember feeling really fine, no pain, no discomfort, I even had an appetite. Tuesday morning I enjoyed a breakfast of scrambled eggs. My husband came to see me in the morning and I was really keen for him to take a photo of me with all the drainage tubes and lines - I fancied I might look like a Borg from Star Trek ! So I have a photo ! I won't post it here as I had to expose myself rather to show off the tubes LOL

I was in a surgical gown after both my surgeries. It’s a bit hard to have a catheter with underwear. After the catheter was removed I was in a pair of shorts and a gown. I found a gown easier than a tee shirt when the doctors and nurses wanted to inspect the wound and listen to my chest.

Anne, your stories about pictures crack me up. They also inspired me to have my husband take my picture each day I was in the hospital. He would only do it if I gave him permission each time though, so no vent pic. Probably just as well - not sure I want to see that.

I woke up in a gown too. Maybe a blanket on my legs too. I was hot. I didn't realize how hot until I realized my sister was wearing TWO sweaters while complaining of how cold it was with the AC. I was too weak to lift my head or care about much of anything that first day. Even when I was feeling good the next day, sitting in a chair, I didn't care about much. Looking back, it was a little weird how some of the doctors would come on rounds and barely say hello before pulling on the front of my gown to take a look at the incision. Still, it's more funny to me than rude or embarrassing.

river-wear;n849521 said:
Anne, your stories about pictures crack me up.
I've got to remember something good about surgery Michele :) All the rest was pretty much downhill after that while i was in hospital and for about four weeks post op. I really felt so well in ICU….and my favourite doctor came to visit me which was so touching and cheering as he's my endocrinologist and nothing to do with cardiac surgery, he just wanted to see how I was :)

I went in to surgery in a long, purple, paper/fabric mix gown, that had a hookup to a warm air blower. I woke up in a surgical bra and hospital gown with a very loose neckline (but never showed anything while I was awake), covered with 2 or three blankets, no-slip hospital socks, and compression wraps around my legs. My feet were burning up, but the rest of me was chilled. I think my first words were "feet" and "hot." All the modesty/dignity stuff (like shaving and catheter) either happens while you are asleep, or just before you go to sleep. Either way, you won't remember it!

Latest posts

Back