Do you take amoxicillin @ dental visit?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunbeam

Hello - I had a mitral valve repair 1 1/2 yr ago. I take 2000 mg of amoxicillin 1 hr before my cleaning. Next week I need a filling. Do you take your antibiotics with any kind of dental procedure? I will probably Email my cardiologist to be sure.

Yes. I take 2000mg amoxicillin with all invasive dental procedures (cleaning, filling, etc) and have for many years. I understand that not all dentists......or patients, agree on the need for the antibiotic but I am comfortable with it.

FWIW, for the 1st 25 years after surgery I never took an antibiotic prior to dental work......in fact, in those earlier days not much was suggested about the need for good dental hygiene. Nowadays good dental health is considered a must for valve patients

Last edited:
Yes, I just did so last week for a cleaning.
My sister, who also had surgery, is taking penicillin and had to get off of warfarin for a wisdom tooth removal coming up. I believe she was given heparin shots.

At my 2 week follow up with cardiologist yesterday after MVR on the 7th, he told me 2,000 mg of Amoxicillin prior to cleaning scheduled in two months is a must.

Cardio had said it's not an option. Have to take it. Dentist won't see me if I don't take it.
Same here. If I forget to take it, sometimes my dentist will give it to me, but then we have to wait 30 minutes before they start the procedure and it affects their scheduling. I take it even for cleanings.

I have a long overdue routine follow up colonoscopy I need to schedule. It has moved out three times due to: prostatectomy, COVID-19 resource issues, and mitral valve repair. Cardiologist says OK to do in3 months. Anybody else have any special prep or problems doing one?

I used to be very lax on taking antibiotics before dental appointments, until I learnt how Bobby Darin, my idol, died. He didn’t take his before a dental visit, and developed an overwhelming systemic infection, which damaged one of his heart valves. He went in to receive an OHS to repair his heart valves and the next day he died in the recovery room. Now I take my antibiotic religiously every time before dental appointments.

Interesting, I had mitral repair 18 years ago and at first I took the antibiotic, then the guidelines changed and now they did not recommend for me (I still have my native valve and no extra parts). Maybe I need to doublecheck if they changed it back.

Yes, 2000 mg of amoxicillin should absolutely be taken one hour before a dental visit. Indeed, the dentist should not see you unless you confirm that you have done this. Also, it happens that I had a much-postponed dentist visit this past week after a recommendation from my cardiologist, who thought I was needlessly postponing dental treatment. Our dental clinic had been closed for a time because of the pandemic, and I was very impressed with the way the clinic had been reorganized. I had my temperature taken at the door and had to respond to questions about symptoms and out-of-country travel before I could enter, and patients were kept "socially distant" from each other at all times. I had a broken crown replaced and three cavities filled, and I am very glad that I finally took this step. My aortic valve was replaced in 2005, and it's still going strong!

I checked with my cardiologist last year when I kept getting pushback from my dentist. He still wants me taking 2000 mg before dental procedures including cleanings.

I have a long overdue routine follow up colonoscopy I need to schedule. It has moved out three times due to: prostatectomy, COVID-19 resource issues, and mitral valve repair. Cardiologist says OK to do in3 months. Anybody else have any special prep or problems doing one?

Ask your proctologist/colorectal doctor to contact your cardiologist. Your cardios nurse should call you back with what is to be done. What is needed depends upon your condition and what the exam will entail (e.g. just a look-see or includes polyp removal.)

My cardiologist, who I've been seeing for almost 20 years, said I do not need to take antibiotics for dental visits. I have a tissue aortic valve. I had a re-do valve replacement in 2018, and he had me take antibiotics for a full year after the surgery, but once the year ended, he said I do not need to take them anymore. Perhaps the guidance is different for those with mechanical valves.

I have a Tissue Aortic valve. My heart doctor and my dentist require me to take antibiotics before i have anything done that includes the cleanings. My surgery was in October 2015.

Hello - I had a mitral valve repair 1 1/2 yr ago. I take 2000 mg of amoxicillin 1 hr before my cleaning. Next week I need a filling. Do you take your antibiotics with any kind of dental procedure? I will probably Email my cardiologist to be sure.
Yes absolutely. It's not like it's expensive. My cardio and ID have always said yes.

My cardiologist thinks it's unnecessary for me with my mitral valve repair, so I do not premedicate. I did get my teeth cleaned recently for the first time since the pandemic started. The hygienist wore a face shield over a mask and only used hand tools (no power tools or polishing), with extra suction. It felt quite safe.

Latest posts

Back