Do you take amoxicillin @ dental visit?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Sunbeam

Thank you everybody. My dentist said no antibiotics before a filling - only begore cleanings. My cardiologist said antibiotics before all dental procedures. It is the bacteria in.our own mouths getting into our bloodstream during the procedures.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Here's what the American Dental Association says about it: Antibiotic Prophylaxis Prior to Dental Procedures

Here's what the American Heart Association says, as described in this NIH article: Subacute Bacterial Endocarditis (SBE) Prophylaxis - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Bottom Line: only recommended for those with prosthetic heart valves and those with certain underlying heart conditions. The American Heart Association(and the American Dental Association followed suite) in 2019 updated their guidance on antibiotic prophylaxis after studies weighing the risk of adverse effects of antibiotics vs. the risk of infective endocarditis of the heart valve.

tom in MO

Thank you everybody. My dentist said no antibiotics before a filling - only begore cleanings. My cardiologist said antibiotics before all dental procedures. It is the bacteria in.our own mouths getting into our bloodstream during the procedures.
That's what the current guidance says. However my cardiologist said he prefers me to take antibiotics before any dental procedure, so I take it before fillings as well. My dentist agrees with my cardiologist and wants me to take it for any procedure.