Do I still have aortic stenosis ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

I'm going to London later in the year and was completing my travel insurance form over the weekend. When it came to questions about my heart - I thought do I still have aortic stenosis? I had a mechanical valve replacement last year and fingers crossed it should see me out (I do know this is not always the case). When I had a human tissue replacement 12 years ago I thought I still had aortic stenosis as I knew that valve would one day need to be replaced, but now with a mechanical valve I don't envisage I'll need another replacement, therefore, do I now not have aortic stenosis?

The question stopped me in my tracks as all my life I have put aortic stenosis under heart issues on forms, etc. Also, I in a strange sort of way I feel as if I have lost part of my identify or one of the labels/things which helped to define me. This is a good thing, but it does feel a little odd. Have others experienced this?

Phil.

I'm going to London later in the year and was completing my travel insurance form over the weekend. When it came to questions about my heart - I thought do I still have aortic stenosis? I had a mechanical valve replacement last year and fingers crossed it should see me out (I do know this is not always the case). When I had a human tissue replacement 12 years ago I thought I still had aortic stenosis as I knew that valve would one day need to be replaced, but now with a mechanical valve I don't envisage I'll need another replacement, therefore, do I now not have aortic stenosis?

The question stopped me in my tracks as all my life I have put aortic stenosis under heart issues on forms, etc. Also, I in a strange sort of way I feel as if I have lost part of my identify or one of the labels/things which helped to define me. This is a good thing, but it does feel a little odd. Have others experienced this?

Phil.

In my humble opinion, I would say that you no longer have aortic stenosis. You had AVR to replace the stenosed valve with an artificial valve to 'fix' the aortic stenosis. Unless your cardio has advised to the contrary, I would say no. I am sure others will chime in to provide their input on your question. Personally, I am happy to no longer have the label of aortic stenosis...now I have the label of a 'cow valve'. Moo! :)

I'd say no. You may want to run the scenario by your travel insurer though.

Hi Agian,

For the travel insurance I mentioned aortic stenosis, it was more about how I see myself - as someone who still has aortic stenosis ... or not.

Phil.

Aortic stenosis refers to the narrowing of the valve, which you no longer have. You do have an artificial heart valve which you should disclose.

FYI I had trouble finding travel insurance that would cover me for anything warfarin-related when I travelled to the US last year . . . .

Hi Ski Girl,

I declared the valve replacement and mentioned aortic stenosis. No problem. It was a question which surfaced for me later on - am I fixed and no longer have aortic stenosis or do I still have it? If it's the latter it's quite a re-framing as I have seem myself as one with aortic stensios for 55 years.

Phil.

Hi Ski Girl,

I declared the valve replacement and mentioned aortic stenosis. No problem. It was a question which surfaced for me later on - am I fixed and no longer have aortic stenosis or do I still have it? If it's the latter it's quite a re-framing as I have seem myself as one with aortic stensios for 55 years.

Phil.

I agree that you should no longer have stenosis.

However, let me turn this around. Can a mechanical aortic valve eventually develop stenosis? Silly question, but I'm just curious.

Hope everyone's well. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back