Diuretic Hhydrochlorothiazide

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycake23

Two-time AVR Vet
Hey there, just wanted to run something past you all. I saw cardio last week and he said bp was too high (consistently with lower number over 100) and it had not gone down since last visit. So he prescribed me this diuretic to rid me of some excess body salt. Just wanted to see how others out there on a diuretic had it affect their lives and what I can expect from it. Popped the first pill today. I know user epstns is on one. So feedback from him, and anyone else is greatly appreciated.

Good news is the valve still sounds great. Thank you for your time and effort.

The effective way to check your BP is to measure it everyday at the same time, after resting and sitting down for 5 or more minutes with your legal touching the floor! BP changes from one minute to another, and affected by what you were doing!

My sister has been taking BP pills which include a diuretic and she's fine. She also avoids/hates all kinds of processed food...they contains lots of salt to preserve them. Unmanaged stress and dehydration may also increase BP.

Wish you well until others will chip in with their experiences!

Hey, johnnycake, how goes it?

Your memory (or your research skill) is spot-on. I've been taking HCTZ for years now. Actually, prior to my valve surgery I was taking Avalide for high blood pressure. The compounds in Avalide are irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide. I took that combo for maybe 5 years prior to surgery. After surgery, they wanted me on a beta blocker for heart rate control, but the BB also affects blood pressure. So I stopped the Avalide and for the last 4+ years, I've been taking metoprolol and generic HCTZ. I take 25 mg/day of the HCTZ and 25 mg/day of metoprolol succinate ER (extended release).My blood pressure stays a bit on the high side of normal in the morning (before I take meds), but it is consistently in range after meds (like yesterday afternoon at doc's office, 128/74).

I notice only two possible side effects, neither is at all serious. As with all diuretics, after you take it you will find that you need a few additional bathroom breaks to off-load the fluids released by the HCTZ. You're a bit younger than I, but most guys beyond "a certain age" won't notice a few more pit stops anyway. The other side effect is that I've become more sensitive to the sun. I can literally get a sun tan from the time spent outside going to and from the car during normal daily activities (to/from work, lunch, stores, etc.). Well, maybe it isn't that fast, but with my normal time spent outdoors on walks and normal activities, people always say that I look like I've just returned from vacation.

While taking any diuretic, we should be vigilant for changes in our weight. My cardio has instructed me to call him if I gain or lose more than 4 pounds (I normally weigh around 160) within a week. Losses aren't usually too worrisome, but gains could mean the onslaught of edema, which would indicate that something else is going on and it isn't good. I've become so attuned to my body that I can actually tell when I'm up or down by as little as a pound or two - but that's just me. I guess that part of the paranoia never stops. I watch my sodium intake but I still eat out pretty often (lunch on work days, some dinners on weekends).

All together, I'd label the hydrochlorothiazide more of a spelling/typing problem than anything else. It really doesn't affect my life, there is no need to take supplementary potassium (Blecch!) and I feel noticeably better without that extra fluid. The HCTZ has been consistent and manages things well for me. Oh, and the generic is cheap.

Steve and Eva, thanks for responding. It's been my third day and I haven't noticed a difference yet. If anyone of great consequence occurs I will share here, but for now I just expect to turn into a human fountain. But it's no biggy, if it helps get my bp numbers down. Thanks for taking the time.

Back