Discreetely checking your pulse

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midpack

Do you sometimes check your pulse discreetely, in presence of other persons, dissimulating the action?

No. I only check my pulse when I check my BP, but that's because the machine tells me.

For a couple of months after surgery, my PVCs had me worried enough to buy a little battery-powered pulse-ox meter. All it ever told me is that my oxygen was just fine and that my heart rate was irregular.

I don't check it, except when I'm using a heart-rate monitor at the gym. All the other times, I assume that it is beating as long as I am conscious enough to think about it:eek2:.

Once a month, I check my blood pressure & pulse resting and when active. I could really care less if someone watches me do it, after all, its just two fingers to the left wrist. Before my AVR, my pulse rate was often elevated. After surgery, was so strong that it really surprised me and the rate was still high. The Beta Blocker brought down the pulse rate until I no longer needed the drug at around 6 months. Over the past six months, I've become less active because my right knee is failing so I may be a little more conscious about checking. That said, approaching five years, my BP is 115/65 and my pulse rate is usually about 66 except when I am more active. I guess what I'm saying is that it is information that you need to know but try not to become obcessive about it. If your pulse is steady and regular your heart is doing its job for you. Always, if you are really concerned, check with your cardiologist and ask about it.

Larry

No. But I pick my nose when no one is looking. I take my pulse all the time. Just cause.

I'm like you superman, I can listen to it clicking away while watching a clock.

Shortly before my surgery I purchased a watch that can take my pulse when I put my finger on it (or optionally with a chest strap). I take it fairly often and when I'm working out I often use it as a guide for when I'm ready for more.

Nobody else can just sit and count clicks and watch the clock? Is mine unusually loud?
I have to do this sometime, I definitely could. I feel it clearly whenever I take a deep breath.

Well, I do check mine discreetly, on occasion, in front of my ear (temporal pulse). It looks like I'm resting my hand on my head or vice versa.

Always check mine....usually a few times a day. Maybe that changes as you get further from your OHS.

Like others, alot of times I just listen/feel it. No fingers on the wrist or neck necessary.

T

All the time, I usually check it on my wrist under the table. But the temporal puls is a great idea, it makes it easier to check your watch at the same time. I'll practice over the weekend and try it during my next meeting.

Nobody else can just sit and count clicks and watch the clock? Is mine unusually loud?

I have a tissue valve but can count beats as well. I have a graft as well. I can tell if I forgot to take my metoprolol just by sitting and listening. I'm pretty close to 60bpm resting so it is pretty easy to get a count quickly.

I never check my pulse.
Just isn't something that occurs to me, however, I've been blessed to not have any irregular beats about which I am aware.

Latest posts

Back