Discovery Health Channel - Transplants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

Wow, did anyone else see that show about the heart transplant ward at Mt. Sinai in NY?

There was this one poor fellow who was living there for just days shy of a year before he got a new heart.

It was quite inspiring. I found it kind of emotional to watch because these people and their families go through the worst kind of hell.

This was one of those situations where you get a reality check and realize that your own situation isn't so bad after all.
Kev

Good Luck

Good Luck

Looks like a good program. Hopefully next time it comes around I will be able to catch it. Good luck on your surgery. I was wondering about the type of valve you choose. Where could I find more info? I would think that someone at your age would use a mechinical valve. Keep us informed on how things are going after your surgery.
Fred

Choices

Choices

I deliberated on the choice a lot.
My surgeon has a series of about 85 stentless porcine patients and wanted to go that route. He uses the Medtronic Freestyle valve.

I read a number of abstracts from medical journals that compared the existing results of this Medtronic to the St. Jude's and others, as well as comparison to various homografts. There isn't any long term data that I could find, but there's a lot of 10 year stats, etc. that make this look promising as an alternative.

Since I have a homograft right now that is failing early, they didn't want to go that route.

I live a pretty active lifestyle (well, I did up to 8 months ago or so) and travel to a lot places that don't have very sophisticated healthcare, so I was concerned about blood thinners. Aside from beer, my favorite liquid after water, I do not like the idea of taking any drugs unless absolutely necessary. The whole bleeding and keeping track of INR or whatever it's called also felt like a freedom being removed.

The downside for me about going with another bio-prothesis is that I know it's probably peter out in 10-15 years (despite what the doctors say). That means a 3rd surgery before I'm 50, which carries more risk, but it's one I'm willing to take because I hope technology will provide a lifelong drug free alternative by then.

They warned me that if things don't look proper once their inside, they may still put a mechanical in me.

I've come to the conclusion that in my case, there are no significant concerns in either procedure. I would be happy with eitehr one because with the mechanical, I would probably postpone another surgery possibly forever. With the bio, I don't have to take the drugs.

I know you didn't ask for a giant book of information about my decision, but you were polite enough to ask and right now, because my date is so close, it makes me feel better to talk about it.

Thanks for the ear!:)
Kev

Back