Discovery Health anticoagulation program-MUST SEE!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Happened to catch the very last few minutes of a Discovery Health program this morning about monitoring anticoagulation. It's part of a CME series for physicians and other health-care providers. They can register, watch the clips, then take an online test and get credit.

Couldn't access the site at home because we have dial-up :mad:. Kept getting booted off. We're in Dallas today visiting my parents who have DSL, so I brought my laptop.

The program is wonderful!!!! I highly recommend that each person here who is on warfarin watch it. The program is extremely supportive of home testing (FYI: Roche, which makes CoaguChek, is involved in this program, if my memory serves me right.). In fact, there are 2 home-testers interviewed for the program.

The program addresses POC (point of care instruments, i.e., finger-stick monitors) and the 3 MDs interviewed hold them to be as reliable to lab draws. This is one reason some doctors bring up as why they won't agree to patients using home testers.

I highly urge that everyone tell their doctors about this program and ask that they watch it. (It's possible that not all states would grant the CME credit, but holding the carrot out there of being able to get credit for watching this might persuade some medical professionals to see this.)

I googled Discovery Health and CME to get the link to the program. I believe that credit will be given through sometime in 2009 for this.

I'd like to download a copy of this, but haven't figured that out yet. My Ph.D. candidate nephew is on his way to glue the U key back on my keyboard, so I'll ask him.

BTW, the program is in 4 clips. First one is 15 minutes, 2nd is 10 minutes, don't recall how long each of the other two are.
Link to the program:

http://discoveryhealthcme.discovery.com/anticoagulation/anticoagulation.html

a must read/watch

a must read/watch

Catwomen,

All I can say is awesome. This is a must read/watch for every member.

Forgot to ask my nephew about downloading a copy of the program to a flash drive.

If anyone who watches the clips can determine a way to save a copy, please let us know......... The program will be online until late 2009, I think, but I'd like to keep a copy of it. I'll e-mail Discovery Health as a backup.....

I have all four parts, but it's so large that you need a flash drive or burn it to cd or dvd. About 220 megabytes worth of data.

warrenr said:
Ross,

Were you a pirate in a previous life:D
Nope. I've wanted many things I've found out here and have learned how to get them out of my temporary internet files. Find them in there, save them somewhere and then they are yours. ;)

PS--
Members should send Part 3 to the doctors and management people who claim that Lab testing is the only accurate way to test and much safer.

I could kiss these doctors on the lips!

Thanks so much for providing this file Marsha. I am emailing it to my cardio; he is very much for patients monitoring at home. I'm also forwarding it to other friends of mine that continue to go to the lab for testing rather than getting a home monitor.

This looks great but how do I copy it on to my flash drive? I could watch it all at the library but would prefer to watch it at home. How did you do it Ross?

Wendy

This looks great but how do I copy it on to my flash drive? I could watch it all at the library but would prefer to watch it at home. How did you do it Ross?

Wendy

After they download, open your temporary internet files and look for them. Copy and paste them to your desktop. They are .FLV files and you'll have to get an .FLV player to view them.

Ditto! Also I may not have access to those at a public computer. Is it possible to send these files to my email? Just wondering. I could attempt to do this at work if they would allow me to but what files am I waiting for them to down load? Thanks for all your help Ross.

A wonderful program. It makes me appreciate my young cardiologist who told me about the Coaguchek and self testing back in 1998 on my first post-op visit. After self testing for a few weeks, I told him I was ready for self dosing and he said fine.Been doing it ever since.

Don't forget people, this is copyrighted material so technically it's illegal.

Ah but if its on the internet and available for download then TECHNICALLY its legal to save for personal use. :p
By saying hey download this...they are also giving you assumed permission to use it. :D

Is anyone here doing home testing? I'd love to but my primary can't find enough excuses why I shouldn't...and their Lab uses the Roche unit!

Latest posts

Back