Disability

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cecily

Hi, I wonder if you guys can help me? I had ohs in December, I also had a stroke during the surgery and now have trouble with word finding. I thought I could go back to my regular work which is very physical.But I find I am really having troulble Keeping up. My surgery was not very successful it is my third I was born with congenital heart problems. I am thinking of applying for Social Security Disability. Are any of you on it. I am self employed. It would not be much but anything would help. IF you are on it did you have any trouble appling for it. Any info would help. Thanks

Social Security Disability is very hard to get on for some. Expect to be turned down repeatedly. They hope you'll give up and go away! My best advice is to retain an attorney that specializes in nothing but Social Security Disablility. Without one, you'll surely have a difficult time. They are paid out of back benefits unless you sign some other sort of agreement. Get all of your medical records ALL OF THEM!!! Once you have them, take them to him and allow him to decide what avenue is the best approach. You may not qualify under one condition or the most obvious, but you may under something else.

It took me 2 1/2 years for my case to be approved. I didn't have an attorney until the last 3 months. All it took was one phone call and one additional medical record sent from him and then I was approved. I was applying for my serious lung condition, but didn't qualify for it. I had a hip that went bad from the steriods they had me on to treat the lung disease, so I was ELIGIBILE FOR THE HIP! Go figure!

I would suggest looking up your impairments and see what qualifying events you must have to see if it's worth it to you to pursue or not. No matter what, don't do it without medical records and an attorney.

Here is a link to the listing of impairments:

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-ap10.htm

See sections
4.00 Cardiovascular System.
11.00 Neurological=I think you'd be eligible with proper medical evidence under this section!

Ross is absolutely correct - do ALL of what he says, plus anything else you can think of. They automatically turn you down on first application, unless you are terminal (and you even have to PROVE THAT). Do not EVER drop the ball and allow any deadlines to pass or you have to start all over. If you continue to challenge them, you will eventually get it. The weak of heart give up and that's what they count on, so don't give up. When you finally are approved, they go back and pay from the beginning and if you have a lawyer, the lawyer gets a portion. After you are approved, you must be on disability for 3 yrs before they let you on Medicare (unless that's changed and I don't believe it has - Ross, you know?) Good luck - and DON'T GIVE UP.

Yes I am going to try. Ross thanks for the info. I looked in the phone book and there is an attorney who specialized in disability and give a free intial consultation so I thought I would go talk to him. Might as well see what he thinks. From the web site you gave it looks like I am eligible but we will see. To bad its such a hassel. But I wont give up. Cecily

Everything falls on the date that THEY determine you are disabled. Once that is established, you'll be eligible for Medicrap err excuse me, Medicare, two years from that date.

Do not sign any fee agreement with this lawyer unless he explains exactly why he is charging more. Soc Sec will only allow them to have just so much. You may have to pay for your own medical records. I had to shell out $200 for mine which I think is criminal in itself.

Medicrap Huh! Well I will look forward to getting medicare. I got my medical records awhile ago It cost me $35. It look like a manuscript. I have never dealt with an attorney before. I pretty sure I eligible I have many of the symptoms they talk about. Thanks for the tip on his fees. It seems enough just to get the disability without worrying about the attorney. But it seems like it will take forever if I try on my own. Cecily

Keep us posted so we can pass this on to others later. One of our members recently got approved, after a very long haul. That member might stop in later - right now he's probly off on a holiday. Think he said so.

Hi Cecily....

Hi Cecily....

Cecily said:
Hi, I wonder if you guys can help me? I had ohs in December, I also had a stroke during the surgery and now have trouble with word finding. I thought I could go back to my regular work which is very physical.But I find I am really having troulble Keeping up. My surgery was not very successful it is my third I was born with congenital heart problems. I am thinking of applying for Social Security Disability. Are any of you on it. I am self employed. It would not be much but anything would help. IF you are on it did you have any trouble appling for it. Any info would help. Thanks

I would definitely file for it, but the first thing I would do is find a Social Security Lawyer and have them help you...I filed in 1999 and I just started getting my SSDI in February, and without the lawyer, I think I would be still waiting and fighting for it right now. I would also tell you to not give up for anything as it does take a while. I would also discuss it with all of your doctors and tell them whats going on. After all that you have been through, I should think that the doctors would support you in this. I hope this helps. Take Care, Harrybaby666
:D :D :D :D

Having an attorney, whether you want one or not, makes all the difference in the world in getting approved quickly. SS knows that if a lawyer thinks he can win, there must be a valid claim in the process!

Your representative cannot charge or collect a fee from you without first getting written approval from Social Security. If you want more information about having a representative, contact us. We can give you a free copy of Your Right To Representation (Publication No. 05-10075).

Another link or two that is very beneficial to you:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/englist.html#Disability

http://www.ssa.gov/disability.html

My youngest sister gets disability due to lupus. She was quite surprised -- she got it on first try and she didn't have to wait very long. The Rxes she was on then for lupus caused some memory loss -- not good for a registered nurse. She was no longer able to physically work with patients -- moving them around in a bed. Her lupus has caused osteonecrosis, Crohn's disease and other ailments. She also has fibromyalgia and was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

Harry baby, it took you five years to get it even with an attorney.WOW! I hope it does not take me that long. I am getting an attorney, I have been coferring with a Dr. friend he thinks I will have no problem. They screwed up during my surgery and cut my conronary artery witch sent me into L vent fib and I had to be shocked back. He thinks I have a good case as far as getting my money back also. As most of us I don't have the greatest insurance. I have paid into disability, they send me a thing every year. My husband passsed away a few years ago. Aren't we allowed to take his? I would get more if I took his. I am looking for a lawyer but my DR. friend said to get a referral from a friend rather that just call one out of the phone book. I will let you know what is happening thanks so much for you help. Cecily

My sister will begin receiving her deceased husband's S.S. in Sept. when she turns age 60.... He died 15 years ago from a dissection of valve.(aneurysm) :( She had to make a lot of lifestyle changes..but with help from the family..and a small job..she has made it... :) Bonnie

Allow me to point out one other fact, Social Security isn't the entity that actually decides your case. That job is handed to The State Disability Determination Service which is different in every state. I have a book around here somewhere amongst my fighting materials that shows which states notoriously turn down applications vs those that approve them. You are still highly advised to have legal console for this. There is much truth to what Rachael is saying, but I'm willing to bet that your going to find it isn't nearly as easy as simply completing the forms thoroughly or properly.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/Adult_StarterKit.pdf

Point counterpoint-I didn't think I needed one, so didn't bother until it was ready to go to the Administrative Law Judge for decision. Once I got the attorney, he immediately saw something that would be approved instantly with one additional piece of medical documentation otherwise, I would have been fighting for my lung issues and most likely would have been denied even by the ALJ because I had not had 3 episodes in a 6 month period, however, I did have more then 3 in a 9 month period. One phone call, one additional piece of medical info, NO hearing was then needed. Easiest $3000 that attorney ever made in his life I'll bet.

Rachael is right. You don't have to have one at the beginning, but don't fail to get one if need be. Be sure you keep copies of all documentation, correspondence and everything else you do. It's all very very important. Did I mention that SS conveniently lost my case file?

Yes, Iwill get the paper work today, Might as well try first younever know. Meanwhile I will be getting some referrals for some attorneys. And we will see how it goes. Again I really appreciate all your help. Cecily

Disability application

Disability application

I've been reading all your suggestions re: filing for SS disability, and have found great suggestions here. I've had initial turn-down and am in "reconsideration" second stage of the game. Have already picked a lawyer one my best friend used a few years back.. Thanks to all for the advice. Will keep you posted on outcome. And for the writer w/ list of " tough" states, try to find that list ! North Carolina is the one to check for me. Chris

I was very lucky (if you can call being deathly ill) that I applied for social security disability and within 3 weeks they had approved me. I got my first check a few months later and for a year have been on Medicare insurance. I had no attorney to help me. I called SS office and explained my situation and they gave me a 30 minute phone application and then sent me the original application to sign. I called the local office 3 weeks later and they said yes you were approved) I was amazed it was so easy. At the time I had just started back working after my 1st surgery and a short time later I ended up in ER with CHF and severe leakage from the valve that had been "fixed". My cardiologist refused to let them operate so soon on me again to replace the valve. My EF was at 20% and he said my chances were great that I would not make it off the table and would probably need a heart transplant soon. Well, 4 years later I've had a replacement valve and no transplant. Coumadin has been so hard for me to manage. But I was just re-evaluated for disability and they approved me to continue. On top of all my other heart problems, I had a heart monitor on and it was determined I was going in and out of A Fib again. More meds!!! 13 different meds a day now.
My family Dr tried to take me off my heart meds a few months ago and I just laughed and said I dont think so. Now Im on MORE cardio drugs!! Good luck with the suit and with your health.

Alicia

First I was drawing disiliby from the school system and they were the ones who got the ball rollins for ss dis. It took them three yrs and two hearing.that was in 1996. I was reviewed 2000 and it was a mess but it was approved again. I don't think you'll get anywhere with a lawyer. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back