Disability insurance?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartburst

I'm scheduled to have my OHS in April 2016. By most accounts it seems I'll be down for at least a couple months. I'm self employed and have no safety net for paying my living expenses for a 2 months. Has anyone else been in this situation? I hit a dead end when inquiring if I qualify for benefits through the state of California. I quickly purchased a disability policy through AFLAC when I got word I needed surgery, they gladly sold it to me even when I told them of my upcoming surgery. But as I now look closely at the policy I think they may not cover me because I have congenital heart disease. Any knowledge from the insurance world would be welcomed!!
Thanks

It will be almost impossible to get disability insurance with heart surgery right around the corner. If you are self-employed and a member of a "trade" or "professional" association you might look into their available programs, if any........but time is running out because surgery is imminent. Most plans, like the AFLAC plans, will have pre-existing clauses or cover accident only....not illness.

I have an Aflac short term disability plan that paid me for three months while I had my valve surgery and recovery. I will say I've had the policy for several years. They did pay but I will say they are slow as a glacier in doing so. first check didn't come til 30 days after the claim was filed. Had to file a total of three claims over three months because of the way they handle things. The Aflac commercials that say claims paid in one day could not be more wrong. Don't quit know if they are obligated to pay on a claim if you already had knowledge of your pending surgery when you bought the policy. Seems they'd have a loophole that lets them off the hook in that situation...

Back