Different attitudes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midpack

Hi!

The other day i saw a traumatologist because of some minor knee ache. I dont remember why but i end up telling him about my heart condition (moderate to severe mitral regurgitation), and he told me that he recently underwent an aortic valve replacement (tissue valve, he is around 70). So, instead of talking about my knee, we end up talking about heart valves and OHS. I was surprised by his reduced knowledge on the matter. My assumption was that, being a doctor himself as well as a heart patient, he would be very well informed. But that was not the case. As a matter of fact, my sensation was that he didnt want to dig too much into his condition. Just trusting his surgeon and cardiologist was his approach. I have the opposite attitude, needing to know as much as i can understand (as the vast majority of people on this forum, by the way). I just wanted to share this little anecdote, that puts in evidence how different can be human attitudes regarding health issues.

I have a friend who is a retired cardiologist and who has Type 1 diabetes. She eats the kinds of food that raise her blood glucose and has had several diabetic complications. She knows I'm a diabetic and that I'm very careful of what foods I eat but that doesn't seem to make any difference to her ! I think it's a bit crazy, but obviously some doctors don't want to know what they can do to help themselves - they should be in a better position to help themselves having had training in health issues ! Like you say Midpack "how different can be human attitudes reagrding health issues" !

That is so true. Perhaps, some of this can be attributed to the story of the shoemaker and his shoes. I recall meeting a cardiologist a number of years ago who was quite overweight and I am sure I smelled smoke off of him. I was surprised as I was thinking that he would be practicing what he preached.

Most hospitals that I've been to in the past few years ban smoking anywhere on the campus, but I remember "way back when" when the local hospital was nearly surrounded by folks in white uniforms and scrubs, puffing away.

Back