Did I have COVID-19 and not know it?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Last year, I went through a lot of cardiac related stuff.

In March, the nodes that regulate my heart rhythm seemed to simultaneously start acting up -- I had three competing arrhythmias that could have killed me. My heart couldn't move my blood efficiently because the chambers were all working against each other.

This couldn't be managed using medications - I wound up having an ablation on the right side of my heart. Because I have a mechanical valve, I couldn't get the node near the aortic valve ablated.

A pacemaker helped regulate the heartbeat and has, mostly, eliminated the other arrhythmia.

Now -- I'm wondering why all the nodes simultaneously went bad.

In late February or early March, my wife saw a physical therapist who wasn't feeling well and told her about relatives who had the virus (I don't think it was described as a pandemic yet). My wife developed congestion in her chest and throat and it was probably healed by antibiotics (which suggest a bacterial, rather than viral, infection). I'm not sure if I developed any symptoms.

It's possible that I may have had COVID-19 (if my wife actually had it), but a mild infection - and tested negative a few weeks after my wife and I had it (if we did) - the tests in the hospital would have shown negative. They didn't run antibody tests.

I'm wondering if it's possible - or even likely - that my heart rhythm problems were a result of getting COVID-19. My doctors didn't rule out the possibility.

I'll probably have an antibody test to help validate or invalidate this possibility.

I'm wondering if it's possible - or even likely - that my heart rhythm problems were a result of getting COVID-19.

Here is one study:
Conclusion
Eleven percent of patients hospitalized for COVID-19 at our center were admitted to the ICU. Cardiac arrests and arrhythmias were more likely to occur in the population in the ICU than in the population in the non-ICU ward even after controlling for underlying demographic and clinical factors. As such, cardiac arrests and arrhythmias are likely the consequence of systemic illness and not solely the direct effect of COVID-19 infection.
COVID-19 and cardiac arrhythmias

Back