Dick's check list for pre-post surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickV

I posted this sometime past and have been asked to post it again. It pertains to both pre and post surgery so I am posting it on the pre surgery board. Here it is:

The following are what I thought were Dick?s top ten recommendations for anyone fixing to undergo a valve or valve/graft procedure but after numbering them, there are actually 11. Go figure.

1) Don?t be afraid to make a commotion if you believe you are not getting enough good, reliable, correct information from your doctors regarding any aspects of your treatment or condition. They have zillions of patients. You have you.

2) Keep very good medical records.

3) After you get home from the hospital, get plenty of rest but remain active. I did this by not taking any meals in bed. I would drag my butt out of bed and eat all meals at the table.

4) If you are in real pain, take the pain medication. Don?t try to be a hero. The pain goes away soon enough. The less pain and discomfort you have, the more rest you will get.

5) Walk, walk and walk. Every day I would walk a little more. First in the house, then down the driveway, then down the street and in a few weeks, I was doing the snail?s pace through the neighborhood. Your stamina in these walks is a good gauge in measuring your recovery.

6) At the 5 or 6 week level, when the doctor says you can drive, get in the car and drive somewhere, even if it is around the block. It is a right-of-passage and the beginning of a new phase of recovery.

7) Be patient on the recovery. Much of it is left to Mother Nature and over time, she will work her magic.

8) After you are feeling better, start trying to pay back all of the kindness and favors your friend and family bestowed on you. It is the least you can do.

9) After you have undergone ?the experience,? share what you have learned with others on this board to try to make their passage a little smoother as others have tried to do for you.

10) Don?t complain. Nobody likes a whiner. It has been proven in clinical tests that your loved ones can both feel sorry for you and want to kill you all at the same time. Suck it up and be thankful you are still above ground.

11) Last but not least, after your surgery, you will be warmly welcomed to the other side. You are now in a very special group of people here at VR.com.

Dick

Good Tips. I really enjoyed them. Number 10 was the best!

Eveyone should read these.

:) Judy

David Letterman, Here Dick Comes!

David Letterman, Here Dick Comes!

Dick,

This could be a TOP TEN list on David Letterman! This is GREAT! I got a kick out of it. I could add a few more to it or should I start my "Significant Other" To do/don't list?

Good Job!
Love,

Aimee, what a good idea! I have been, in the past, a SO and needed comfort, too. While your partner is getting support in here, the SO needs special care, too. Please do make a list of do's/don'ts. It could help a lost SO greatlyl. God bless

Aimee, I will copy it to the SO forum and everybody can start adding beginning with #12.

Dick

Latest posts

Back