Diastolic dysfunction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midpack

Hi!

I am followed twice a year because of moderate mitral regurgitation (originated by a mitral valve prolapse). In my last visit, my cardiologist looked at my echo, said there were no significant changes, and asked me to come back in 6 months (LV and LA are mildly enlarged). The echo report states, among other comments, that "ventricular filling is pseudonormal". My cardiologist saw this, but did not even mentionned it. Unfortunately, some weeks after, i had the bad idea to look for it in google, and it does mean "grade 2 diastolic dysfunction".
Do you know if this is something to worry about?
Is this an independant problem or is it an usual consequence of mitral regurgitation? I know these are pretty technical questions, but many of you are almost cardiologists!

Regards

Grade 2 diastolic dysfunction leads to elevated left atrial pressures and causes symptoms similar to heart failure.

The goal is to treat the underlying conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes which lead to diastolic dysfunction. Some doctors prescribe diuretics, calcium channel blockers and ACE inhibitors as treatment, or can educate you how to handle it with alternative therapies.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had the same finding on an echo about 3 years ago. I am on blood pressure meds and it has never reappeared on any further echos. Like you, I looked it up on the internet and had some anxiety. My cardio told me not to worry about it and that we would see what happened.... never mentioned again, never appeared.
Best of luck to you.
Rick

Latest posts

Back