Diastolic Dysfunction - Can it be treated or cured? What are your experiences?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron

Hello,

I have a question about Diastolic Dysfunction for people out there. I am somewhere between type 1/2 of this condition. I have heard when it gets to stages 3 or 4, it is a bad situation.

Can this dysfunction be totally cured? Can it be treated? What are the various experiences people have with this?

I am concerned about this situation. there seems to be a lot of unanswered questions on this subject.

Ron

Hi Ron:
I don't know if this is a duplicate or not. If so, please disregard. I was diagnosed with diastolic dysfunction five months after my OHS to replace my bicuspid aortic valve in February of 2008. At first, I was quite concerned. However, my current cardiologist is not that concerned. His advice to me is to exercise (preferably an hour a day); reduce sugar and salt intake; and to drink a lot of water. He also has prescribed a statin (Crestor). I also have a yearly echo.
If you would like a good site to visit about this condition; go to About.com Heart Disease and look for the article by Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.
In the meantime, stop worrying!
Oh, have you had heart surgery yet?

Taken From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastolic_heart_failure

Treatment

Generally, diastolic dysfunction is chronic process (except during acute ischemia - see above). When this chronic condition is well tolerated by an individual, no specific treatment may be indicated. Rather, therapy should be directed at the root cause of the stiff left ventricle with things like high blood pressure and diabetes treated appropriately. Conversely, and as noted above, diastolic dysfunction tends to be better tolerated if the atrium is able to pump blood into the ventricles in a coordinated fashion. This does not occur in atrial fibrillation where there is no coordinated atrial activity. Hence, atrial fibrillation should be treated aggressively in people with diastolic dysfunction. In the same light, and also as noted above, if the atrial fibrillation persists and is leading to a rapid heart rate, treatment must be given to slow down that rate. The use of a self-expanding device that attaches to the external surface of the left ventricle has been suggested yet still awaits FDA approval. When the heart muscle squeezes, energy is loaded into the device, which absorbs this energy, and releases it to the left ventricle in the diastolic phase, which help retain muscle elasticity [2]

At this date, the role of specific treatments for diastolic dysfunction per se is unclear. There is some evidence that calcium channel blocker drugs may be of benefit in reducing ventricular stiffness in some cases. Likewise, treatment with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors such as enalapril, ramipril, and many others, may be of benefit due to their effect on ventricular remodeling.

A major treatment consideration in people with diastolic dysfunction is when pulmonary edema develops. Unlike treatment of pulmonary edema occurring the setting of systolic dysfunction (where the primary problem is poor ventricular pumping as opposed to poor filling), the treatment of pulmonary edema complicating diastolic dysfunction emphasizes heart rate control (i.e. lowering it). Diuretics are often given as well. The role of afterload reduction in this setting is unknown

Prognosis

Until recently, it was generally assumed that the prognosis for individuals with diastolic dysfunction and associated, intermittent pulmonary edema was better than those with systolic dysfunction. In fact, in two studies appearing in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2006, evidence was presented to suggest that the prognosis in diastolic dysfunction is the same as that in systolic dysfunction [3][4]

Hi Ron:
I don't know if this is a duplicate or not. If so, please disregard. I was diagnosed with diastolic dysfunction five months after my OHS to replace my bicuspid aortic valve in February of 2008. At first, I was quite concerned. However, my current cardiologist is not that concerned. His advice to me is to exercise (preferably an hour a day); reduce sugar and salt intake; and to drink a lot of water. He also has prescribed a statin (Crestor). I also have a yearly echo.
If you would like a good site to visit about this condition; go to About.com Heart Disease and look for the article by Richard N. Fogoros, M.D.
In the meantime, stop worrying!
Oh, have you had heart surgery yet?

I just spoke to my cardiologist about this as well. He says it is boing caused by the stenotic valve, and that fixing the valve will alleviate the problem. He too was not concerned at all.

Given that cardiologists deal with this issue a lot, I am going to take his word on it...

No surgery scheduled yet, but I meet with 2 surgeons on Thursday.

Last edited:
I have been reading studies similar. All the more reason for me to get in there ASAP before this things progresses any worse.

So far though, 3 seperate cardiologists have not said it was a cause for concern.

Back