Depression, being single, being alone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sertraline 150 mg. Keeping a schedule, I use the Define My Day planner for this. Walking outside. Meditation (I a do a specific kind that focuses on generating happy sensations in the body). Gratitude journal. Attentive time in nature. Music. Podcasts and readings that are uplifting. Avoiding social media and news. Eating well. As you know all this takes a lot of energy that you don’t have when depressed, meds help me with that first step. When in the hole, I start small. I write down every single thing I do and I celebrate like a fool. I unloaded the dishwasher! Woo! Cue the theme from Rocky! Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg has more info on this technique. I also access anger to fight depression. “God dammit I am not going to be a slave to this internet rabbit hole.” I hope there is something here you can use.

Dornole, I love what you wrote! I hope our new member can get some ideas from your strategies. And for me, these are practical & useful skills. Particularly remembering to celebrate small successes. For me, compassion for myself helps, too. Loss of loved ones, or other challenges/failures, can sneak up on me and before I know it, I am not doing what I need to do to keep myself functioning. I stop talking, stop moving, etc. and then, depressed again. But each day provides an opportunity to live again. To celebrate dishes being done and eventually, think about the future.

Newarrior, it seems as if you are experiencing success as an actor. The way you write about it makes me think that you are naturally gifted as a performer. Can you allow yourself to see acting as a success? I’m impressed!

Do be aware that post-surgery depression is a real and fairly common occurrence. I know it hit me, but since I knew about it before surgery (thanks to my family here), I didn't become especially worried about its cause or duration.

I distinctly remember sitting in my recliner in the first weeks after surgery and simply breaking down into tears, crying hard for no reason. I just rolled with it, letting it happen, because I could think in my conscious/rational mind that it was a side effect of the surgical trauma. I could also think around the bouts of depression to understand that I was really in a good place, I just needed to let loose now and then. In my case, the occasional teary-eyed times lasted a couple of months and gradually disappeared. I did know well, though, that if things hadn't straightened out I would have sought help - probably would have seen a counselor. I'll have to admit, though, that I may have been better prepared for this than many for a few reasons:
1. Folks here warned me about post-op depression.
2. I've had some college training in psychology (just elective courses, though, I majored in Marketing, minor in Economics).
3. I'm lucky enough to have a daughter who is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, whose specialty includes counseling.

I don't want to seem trite about it, but let me say that there is no shame in seeking help. There is only shame if one needs help and refuses to seek it.

Reactions: Amy
Newarrior, it seems as if you are experiencing success as an actor. The way you write about it makes me think that you are naturally gifted as a performer. Can you allow yourself to see acting as a success? I’m impressed!
Not much going on on the acting side due to Corona and technically I am not supposed to be working in Asia since I am on retirement visa..Most of my actor work has just been background/as an extra.

Do be aware that post-surgery depression is a real and fairly common occurrence. I know it hit me, but since I knew about it before surgery (thanks to my family here), I didn't become especially worried about its cause or duration.

I distinctly remember sitting in my recliner in the first weeks after surgery and simply breaking down into tears, crying hard for no reason. I just rolled with it, letting it happen, because I could think in my conscious/rational mind that it was a side effect of the surgical trauma. I could also think around the bouts of depression to understand that I was really in a good place, I just needed to let loose now and then. In my case, the occasional teary-eyed times lasted a couple of months and gradually disappeared. I did know well, though, that if things hadn't straightened out I would have sought help - probably would have seen a counselor. I'll have to admit, though, that I may have been better prepared for this than many for a few reasons:
2. I've had some college training in psychology (just elective courses, though, I majored in Marketing, minor in Economics).
3. I'm lucky enough to have a daughter who is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, whose specialty includes counseling.

I don't want to seem trite about it, but let me say that there is no shame in seeking help. There is only shame if one needs help and refuses to seek it.
I have had severe depression depression my whole life--I expect it would get worse post surgery plus I am utterly single and alone..I don't know how I will get through post surgery because I am alone

Dornole, I love what you wrote! I hope our new member can get some ideas from your strategies. And for me, these are practical & useful skills. Particularly remembering to celebrate small successes. For me, compassion for myself helps, too. Loss of loved ones, or other challenges/failures, can sneak up on me and before I know it, I am not doing what I need to do to keep myself functioning. I stop talking, stop moving, etc. and then, depressed again. But each day provides an opportunity to live again. To celebrate dishes being done and eventually, think about the future.
Thanks

Sertraline 150 mg. Keeping a schedule, I use the Define My Day planner for this. Walking outside. Meditation (I a do a specific kind that focuses on generating happy sensations in the body). Gratitude journal. Attentive time in nature. Music. Podcasts and readings that are uplifting. Avoiding social media and news. Eating well. As you know all this takes a lot of energy that you don’t have when depressed, meds help me with that first step. When in the hole, I start small. I write down every single thing I do and I celebrate like a fool. I unloaded the dishwasher! Woo! Cue the theme from Rocky! Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg has more info on this technique. I also access anger to fight depression. “God dammit I am not going to be a slave to this internet rabbit hole.” I hope there is something here you can use.
I do much of the same

It;s the gratitude thing;;good)

I have been in counseling from 1988 to 1990 and from 1994 to present + tried meds and many other things..It's worse than ever

I was wound up like a watch spring after 2 years in Tokyo and while I loved many things there I equally hated others.
I also lived in Japan for years, and felt the same. I think pellicle’s right - somehow living in a place so different from how you grew up, slowly gets to you - & I s a cumulative stressor. You’re here asking for help though, which is a sign things can change. You can’t control when you’ll start to feel better... but what about starting by trying to do little things you like - you could make a list, & just do one. Walking in nature; going somewhere new; making tea - these are some I did. You might not feel any effect at first, but it’s happening.

D9D6C4EA-811A-4DD9-A534-5384C96C5071.jpeg

Alternatively, you could read up on nonduality & realize there is no you’ who is depressed....
0582826F-A5A8-43A6-9923-7E69DAB7A617.jpeg

Take it easy. Tattoo it on your hand (or with a pen like I do) that this too will pass.

Attachments

• 3569E286-39EC-40A9-8A58-89450DB9C39F.jpeg
    3569E286-39EC-40A9-8A58-89450DB9C39F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 155
I also lived in Japan for years, and felt the same. I think pellicle’s right - somehow living in a place so different from how you grew up, slowly gets to you - & I s a cumulative stressor. You’re here asking for help though, which is a sign things can change. You can’t control when you’ll start to feel better... but what about starting by trying to do little things you like - you could make a list, & just do one. Walking in nature; going somewhere new; making tea - these are some I did. You might not feel any effect at first, but it’s happening.

View attachment 887632
Alternatively, you could read up on nonduality & realize there is no you’ who is depressed....
View attachment 887634
Take it easy. Tattoo it on your hand (or with a pen like I do) that this too will pass.
thank you...Yes living overseas has its stresses but so would starting over in the USA at age 58 from zero as well...Vexing thing this where to live question....I think I am pretty good in the self care department..In fact I am just ending an 11 day trip at the beach (a getaway from Bangkok to Krabi(

Attachments

• 2021-03-14 12.38.09.jpg
    2021-03-14 12.38.09.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 147
Vexing thing this where to live question....
I came to practically yearn to be back in the states, lol... now that I’m here it’s like, meh (well, it IS Arkansas)... what about coming back for a visit? Or what about a degree program online to work towards a much easier ‘starting over’ here?

I came to practically yearn to be back in the states, lol... now that I’m here it’s like, meh (well, it IS Arkansas)... what about coming back for a visit? Or what about a degree program online to work towards a much easier ‘starting over’ here?
I am 58 arthritis the cardiac stuff the hearing loss - I did get a teaching certificate in August..Feeling lost and massively depressed and hopeless and worried about my health and finding a mate and depression

Latest posts

Back