Dental Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Anyone with a mechanical valve and on warfarin had dental work done. Tooth extraction. I am concerned about the bleeding and infection which could lead to encarditis

I've had several extractions over the years with little issue with bleeding and have always taken an antibiotic prior to that kind of dental work to prevent possible infection. Unless you have a special situation I would not worry about typical work......and your dentist should know how to advise you.

If you search the site you will find plenty about dental work,
Bleeding is usually no worse than normal and most have antibiotic cover prescribed by either their doctor or dentist

Guest;n886024 said:
Anyone with a mechanical valve and on warfarin had dental work done. Tooth extraction. I am concerned about the bleeding and infection which could lead to encarditis

I agree with the others views try a search like this

However I'll add that as long as you have antibiotic cover you'll be fine, of surprise to most is that a good dental cleaning is more risky especially if you've got a good plaque buildup (from poor dental hygene).

Bleeding will be managed by proper management of your INR. I recommend you find yourself sitting around the 2 end not the 5 end.

Keep an eye on post surgical bleeding (meaning don't ignore it if a day later its still pissing blood, because "that's not normal")

Aside from that, the INR management is insignificant (compared to the extraction).

Also, dick0236 , glad to see you still poking a nose in from time to time, Merry Christmas mate

I have an ON-X Mech aortic valve. I had a tooth extraction and bone graft done in July of this year in preparation for a dental implant. My cardiologist bridged me off of Warfarin during the extraction. I took the 2000MG of amoxicillian an hour before the extraction. I had no bleeding or other problems. I worried a lot about nothing.

I had an extraction with stitches and a bone graft done two weeks ago. The dentist handed me 5 antibiotic tablets about 15 minutes before he gave me shots in mouth. He said the first shot bled a little and he waited a couple of minutes and then went back in. He said there was very little bleeding so he was happy with how it all went. I took antibiotic for a week after along with a steroid. He also ordered that super duper mouth wash that I used for a month before open heart surgery. My INR has not been therapeutic the last few months as I have had other health issues but went in yesterday and wa la.......1.6, finally. My range is 1.5 to 2.0. All is good.

I will tell you though and this is only me and the way I handle it. I do not let a dentist in my mouth without antibiotic, whether it is just a standard one or two pill dose for check up, and I tell them very sternly that I want no infection. I am in AZ now and not at my regular dentist but he was very good. He is also very young and well versed in mechanical heart valves, wanting to know my last INR. I swear if you line them all up I am going to take the youngest ones each time as they are new but very advanced in what they know(seems to me anyway)

You will do well, just tell them what you know and ask questions.

I premedicate with amoxicillin. I also follow the advice of Surfer Girl's infectious disease doctor. He recommended rinsing out your mouth real good with antibiotic mouth wash immediately before any dental work. The antibiotic works if bacteria gets into you, the mouthwash helps with the bacteria already inside your mouth.

My dentist has me take 4 capsules of “Apo - Amoxicillin 500mg “ one hour prior to my dental appointment/ cleaning.

For my tooth extraction and sutures, my oral surgeon wanted me to on the lowest range of my INR! there were no problems!
Of course I had to take 2000 mg of amoxicillin, which is the norm before any dental work.
Good luck.

I've taken amoxicillin before cleanings for as many years as I can remember before valve replacement and the regimine hasn't changed post surg. : 2000mg 1 hour before my appt.
I've had a filling replaced and a cap replaced without issue over the last year; no extraction though.
At the times of the work my INR was about 2.8.
I was a little nervous about it at first but the dentist was confident and didn't make any remarks about excessive bleeding afterwards.

Good luck with the work.

Back