Dental hygiene benefits

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a different board, I post a lot about leaky gut. This is where some foods, stress, genetics, can cause the tight junctions between the cell lining in the gut wall to be too loose. This allows undigested food, toxins, bacteria, etc to leak from the small intestines into the liver and blood system.

One of the most serious toxins that leaks through is the outer shell of gram negative bacteria. This is extremely toxic and causes the immune system to attack these lipopolysaccharides (lps) creating a lot of inflammation.

There are studies that indicate people with heart disease have a higher level of lps's in their blood than people without heart disease. The 2 questions I ask are:
  1. If bacteria from your mouth can cause heart disease, why couldn't gut bacteria that leak into the blood stream cause heart disease?
  2. The process involved in leaky gut seems very similar to the process where plaque builds up in arteries. Something triggers the tight junctions to become loose and allow particles to get through the cell lining.
I have a theory as to what caused the plaque buildup in my arteries and aortic valve, and when I attempt to discuss with a cardiologist, they usually just smile at me as just one more kook they have to deal with. The thing is, over the last 10 years I have found scientific studies to back up each part of the process I believe caused my heart disease.

I plan to write it up as a scholarly article and then share it wherever I can. I didn't have the medical terminology down, so research has been difficult. I have been amazed when I finally learn the right terms to search on, I find studies and articles which confirm what I had hypothesized. There a lot of professionals who have already figured all this out, but for some reason the medical community has chosen to ignore the information.

but for some reason the medical community has chosen to ignore the information.
In short the answer is a combination of hubris and silos.

A long time ago I did a double major in biochemistry and microbiology, at that time I would rub shoulders with the better dressed and better funded medicine students (who did subjects in our department). The general attitude I experienced was "why are we learning about this crap".

Best Wishes

On a different board, I post a lot about leaky gut. This is where some foods, stress, genetics, can cause the tight junctions between the cell lining in the gut wall to be too loose. This allows undigested food, toxins, bacteria, etc to leak from the small intestines into the liver and blood system.

One of the most serious toxins that leaks through is the outer shell of gram negative bacteria. This is extremely toxic and causes the immune system to attack these lipopolysaccharides (lps) creating a lot of inflammation.

There are studies that indicate people with heart disease have a higher level of lps's in their blood than people without heart disease. The 2 questions I ask are:
  1. If bacteria from your mouth can cause heart disease, why couldn't gut bacteria that leak into the blood stream cause heart disease?
  2. The process involved in leaky gut seems very similar to the process where plaque builds up in arteries. Something triggers the tight junctions to become loose and allow particles to get through the cell lining.
I have a theory as to what caused the plaque buildup in my arteries and aortic valve, and when I attempt to discuss with a cardiologist, they usually just smile at me as just one more kook they have to deal with. The thing is, over the last 10 years I have found scientific studies to back up each part of the process I believe caused my heart disease.

I plan to write it up as a scholarly article and then share it wherever I can. I didn't have the medical terminology down, so research has been difficult. I have been amazed when I finally learn the right terms to search on, I find studies and articles which confirm what I had hypothesized. There a lot of professionals who have already figured all this out, but for some reason the medical community has chosen to ignore the information.
This is a very interesting idea that makes sense. In your research of the topic, what can we do about it? I'm guessing that you are going to say diet. We know that diet affects heart risk. Perhaps it is more than just cholesterol and sugar.

My infective endocarditis was a direct result of gum disease ..... the bacteria was pinpointed as tooth plaque. By the time my bicuspid value was diagnosed it was done. 3 weeks to get the bacteria level down and AVR replacement soon after. It was a shocker of a diagnosis. Teeth cleaning every 8 weeks now. #JCG

This is a very interesting idea that makes sense. In your research of the topic, what can we do about it? I'm guessing that you are going to say diet. We know that diet affects heart risk. Perhaps it is more than just cholesterol and sugar.
The biggest culprit seems to be gluten. Dr Gundry makes a strong case for all lectins such as peppers, tomatoes, beans, lentils. He recommends cooking them in a pressure cooker to deactivate them. Basically new world foods that we have only been eating for a few hundred years.

The biggest culprit seems to be gluten. Dr Gundry makes a strong case for all lectins such as peppers, tomatoes, beans, lentils. He recommends cooking them in a pressure cooker to deactivate them. Basically new world foods that we have only been eating for a few hundred years.

Sorry to stray here. Gluten is a hot topic in our household. My wife and daughter are extremely gluten intolerant. My wife developed a bad case of candida which the doc figures is from gluten. So now everyone in the house is gluten free so there's no cross contamination going on and we're all feeling better.

I don't understand the process that goes on, what do you mean by deactivate them when cooking?

For most lectins in the diet, cooking them in a pressure cooker deactivates the lectin protein so it is safe to eat. This doesn't work for grains containing lectins.

There are other methods such as peeling and deseeding peppers and tomatoes, soaking beans, and fermenting fruits and vegetables which makes them safe to eat.

Last edited:
I don't understand the process that goes on, what do you mean by deactivate them when cooking?
I'm not sure about deactivating, it could mean a few things,, but a term in chemistry is "denature". Basically a protein is a ling long string of amino acids and like a long "kinky rope", it is inclined to form into specific shapes (with some loose bonds between specific points of the rope which can be likened to velcro [these are hydrogen bonds] assisting holding that shape).

When heated above particular temperatures the agitation can cause those velcro connections (bonds) to break, and while the rope is not cut it forms a different shape in a new tangle.

The shape the rope forms into provides for the actual chemical functionality of the protein, by placing key parts (active sites) in very specific locations to work with other chemicals.

Albumin is a good example, this is egg white, and in its "natural" conformation is a transparent liquid.
PDB_1ao6_EBI.jpg

When heated it changes the conformation shape and becomes a loosely bound solid (almost a gel), this is called "denaturing"

All proteins can be denatured and much of what we do in cooking food is precisely that.

The biggest culprit seems to be gluten. Dr Grundy makes a strong case for all lectins such as peppers, tomatoes, beans, lentils. He recommends cooking them in a pressure cooker to deactivate them. Basically new world foods that we have only been eating for a few hundred years.

There's plenty of clinical evidence that the Mediterranean diet that includes peppers, tomatoes, beans, lentils are good for your heart health.

I live in MO, we have a state motto "Show me." Dr. Gundry doesn't have clinical proof for his beliefs. His "industry changing research" seems to be a technique to sell his products https://gundrymd.com/ which run about $70 for a bottle of 90 pills (not 100). He also says that he has a treatment to remove dark spots on your skin due to age. Those treatments also start at around $70. You can join his VIP club to gain knowledge that other's cannot have.

To me his business model is hundreds of years old and is the reason we have the US FDA.

Reactions: Eva
Hey jcgtok17,

You might want to check your patient registration card, the Trifecta is made 27mm & 29mm, there is no 28mm.
It is in fact a 27mm, good catch. Still the Japanese hospital record for "size installed" (i.e. if size "estimated" is 28 they install 1 mm down in size, not up). #JCG

My infective endocarditis was a direct result of gum disease ..... the bacteria was pinpointed as tooth plaque. By the time my bicuspid value was diagnosed it was done. 3 weeks to get the bacteria level down and AVR replacement soon after. It was a shocker of a diagnosis. Teeth cleaning every 8 weeks now. #JCG

Wow! Were there any symptoms befor the heart ? The infection got into the blood?

When I went for the presurgical dental exam, my dentist advised me that after surgery, I should rinse with Listerine Before brushing. And, the again after to help contain errant plaque and mouth bacteria. She said the pre rinse helps to rid the mouth of some bacteria before stirring up more with brushing. I was kind of wide-eyed at this. But I now do it since I’ve gone to her for 20 some years now and know she does a ton of continuing ed. Stuff.

When I went for the presurgical dental exam, my dentist advised me that after surgery, I should rinse with Listerine Before brushing. And, the again after to help contain errant plaque and mouth bacteria. She said the pre rinse helps to rid the mouth of some bacteria before stirring up more with brushing. I was kind of wide-eyed at this. But I now do it since I’ve gone to her for 20 some years now and know she does a ton of continuing ed. Stuff.
The thing is it kills both good and bad bacteria.

There's plenty of clinical evidence that the Mediterranean diet that includes peppers, tomatoes, beans, lentils are good for your heart health.

I live in MO, we have a state motto "Show me." Dr. Gundry doesn't have clinical proof for his beliefs. His "industry changing research" seems to be a technique to sell his products Gundry MD ® | Supplements, Skincare, and Wellness Resources which run about $70 for a bottle of 90 pills (not 100). He also says that he has a treatment to remove dark spots on your skin due to age. Those treatments also start at around $70. You can join his VIP club to gain knowledge that other's cannot have.

To me his business model is hundreds of years old and is the reason we have the US FDA.
There are scientific studies that indicate that for some people, lectins can cause a leaky gut.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115436/

Latest posts

Back