Denmark, here I Come!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

Just excepted a commuter position in Denmark to work on a frac boat 28\28 in the North sea. I must be crazy but I will get to see Europe and possibly some Mermaids! Saw my doctor today and have a prescription for a new coag. XS and am ready for a new adventure in my life.
I am 6 months out from my surgery and feel great. All I know is I will not be on call 24\7 anymore and will not be working 16\18 hour days and be on the road all the time to feed the world of oil and gas in Alberta.
I am nervous and excited, I have a note from my doctor giving me the green light to go and my wife usually does the physicals for the company I work for so I have an in on getting passed through, her fiend will do the physical. I am not sure how they will react when they find out I have an artificial heart valve and do not really care. We all have to die some how, some where and this is my chance to take a risk and live a little. Same money and work half the year and work with some old friends.:thumbup:
Just spent a week with my boy hiking\Canoeing\hot springs\fishing and camping in the Rocky Mountains. Fed on some glacier feed rainbow trout tonight that we caught and went for a nice long walk.

Nice! sounds like a great holiday with your son! Good luck on the frac boat, (ya learn something new every day, I love google)

OMGosh Jeff, like WOW, good for you. I'm even excited for you and just a tad (big tad) jealous. How long will you be gone? Who's going to give me up-dates you hear from the radio/TV? (They haven't caught the bad guys yet)

But what is a frac boat 28\28 and what will you doing on your commute? Better yet, how in the heck did you land such an opportunity?

Inquiry minds need to know......and maybe some nosy ones too :biggrin2:

Jeff - I hope that boat has internet connectivity. . . we would miss you around here! Best of luck on your adventure. You'll have to tell us all about it -- sounds exciting.

Freddie, I will be working on the instrumentation controls for the equipment on the boats, working 28 days in Denmark and 28 days at home.
They pull the boat along side an off shore rig and pump sand and water down the well creating a mini earth quake under ground. The sand stays in the formation and creates a path for the oil and gas to get to surface.

I will big in charge of the computer systems, sat. Systems, equipment control loops and all the cables and sensors. Everyone will be looking at me to get the Internet working on the ship, so if you hear from me on the ship Steve, I will be doing my job right.lol

My great Grandfather was from Denmark and my mother is from Belguim and my wife was born in Germany. I have never been to Europe, so it will be an adventure. I will try it for a year and see if I like it. A month off at home will be nice, can travel, fix the house or just relax at home.

Thanks for the well wishes and I will keep you updated.

May the gods continue to be kind to all my friends on this site!
Jeff

Wow!!! I am so jealous. My very best wishes to you and I hope your adventure turns out to be better than you ever expected. Life is too short not to do new things and have regrets later. Keep in touch with us since we will be looking forward to all your updates. Bon Voyage...

Good for you!

Good for you!

Goodluck to you Jeff..! My son is also an expat working off the coast of Nigeria in offshore oil fields. He loves it - on 60/30. I can tell you're probably with Halliburton or Schlumberger by the 28/28..:wink2:

Yes I should have done this years ago.

Goodluck to you Jeff..! My son is also an expat working off the coast of Nigeria in offshore oil fields. He loves it - on 60/30. I can tell you're probably with Halliburton or Schlumberger by the 28/28..

Big Red it is, these large companies can eat up your life pretty quickly. I have a close friend over in Iraq right now who spent 5 years in Angola. Several more who are in the Middle East. I like the thought of Europe better, couple more years and I will retire and work as at Walmart greeter. I need some air miles first!

Jeff, what a great opportunity for you! My husband and I had the opportunity to live in Europe for about 3.5 years. I loved it. We decided going in that we would spend much more money traveling than we would normally ever consider because we knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Everything is so close and it is so easy to hop on a plane to go to another country, even if just for a weekend. Enjoy yourself!

Kim

Back