Defection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I left for a while and came back and don't know what to think. This site helped me and my entire family get through what will probably be the hardest part of our lives. Also for support and information this has been the most valuable place on earth. Why would anyone want to leave or have an issue with any of this? Truly Confused.

Maria I was not implying
desertion, treason, betrayal, disloyalty!
The English dictionary has a second use of the verb Defect “to leave your native country or resident country and refuse to return there...”
This second use has nothing to do with change of allegiance.
Defection is the noun.

Kathy
That’s why I used the term “leaving us permanently” and had the sad confused emicon :confused2:.

I trust this will end the confusion that surrounds this thread. :)

I agree completely with superbob, wise and kathy. Since when is going to another website a betrayal. I have no idea how many websites i went to before surgery and still go to when i need answers. I do think that this is childish and a waste of time. I really don't know why people are hurt by the fact that there is another website. Isn't it important to us heart patients that as much information as possible is available when we need it or anyone who finds out that devastating news that we have all once faced. Everyone has there own opinion sure but there should be no need for all of this resentment. In my short time being a member I have watched quite a few people leave this site for one reason or another whether it was because of differences with other members or something else. No one should hold that against them if they start another website. It is not a persons place to pass judgement on anyone. That is god's job. I think some of what has been said in this thread and the earlier one that was started is completely ridiculous. Since when did we all start acting like children. If there are people that want to go to both sites. So be it. That is their choice. And we all have the right to choose without being looked down upon. Variety after all is the spice of life isn't it? As the saying goes.

Jax this is why I have clarified the thread 3 times.
There is no mention in my posts of betrayal in this thread or criticism of how many sites people belong to, or judgement of people’s choices.
Just the observation that a significant number of long term previously active members have left and will not return and my hope that more will not permanently leave. :frown2:

Hello,
I did not even know there was another site. I did not desert this site for another one. I deserted this site for hours of computer time spent on trying to learn this new technology they expect us to use at work. Not half the fun as here. I still pop in once in a while.
I can't imagine any site better than this.

Emu, I wasn't directing my post at you but just in general to the way people are acting. And maybe the way people are acting is why the old members left in the first place and started the new web site. I see absolutely nothing wrong with one more resource for people going through this traumatic experience. Quite simply this may be one of the toughest things someone has to deal with in their life. And if someone will find either site to help them I think it is a good thing. After all, isn't that the whole point to both sites to help each other and new people that find themselves in our same situation.

Last edited:
Emu, I wasn't directing my post at you but just in general to the way people are acting. And maybe the way people are acting is why the old members left in the first place and started the new web site. I see absolutely nothing wrong with one more resource for people going through this traumatic experience. Quite simply this may be one of the toughest things someone has to deal with in their life. And if someone will find either site to help them I think it is a good thing. After all, isn't that the whole point to both sites to help each other and new people that find themselves in our same situation.

Could you be more specific? You say, "just in general to the way people are acting." What way are they acting?
In your previous post you state, "It is not a persons place to pass judgement on anyone."
I say you are passing judgement yourself in your replies.

Could you be more specific? You say, "just in general to the way people are acting." What way are they acting?
In your previous post you state, "It is not a persons place to pass judgement on anyone."
I say you are passing judgement yourself in your replies.

Just an honest question.......Mary, do you think that maybe what Jax is trying to really say is that it really doesn't matter how people "act" on here, but rather anyone who has been hurt or offended has simply decided that he or she doesn't want to be exposed to anymore hurt and anger and this is why they left? When I dealt with what Christina had said, I chose not to let it drive me away but to handle it PRIVATELY, and the only reason I brought it out into the public this week was to point out that there is a point in time when everyone gets hurt and angry and maybe certain things that people do say should be said and handled in a more private way....If I decide to leave it will be for the reason that I cannot stand to see anymore hurtful statements out in the public and the bottom line is this: Whoever makes these kinds of statements has a right to do so, because of freedom of speech, HOWEVER people do not have to agree with it or stand around and be hurt and offended by any potential statements by the ones who choose not to handle things in a more private way. I have to say that what has been going on REALLLLLY saddens me and I can only pray to god that it will stop and people will heal...but I guess that is kind of unrealistic...

Just an honest question.......Mary, do you think that maybe what Jax is trying to really say is that it really doesn't matter how people "act" on here, but rather anyone who has been hurt or offended has simply decided that he or she doesn't want to be exposed to anymore hurt and anger and this is why they left? When I dealt with what Christina had said, I chose not to let it drive me away but to handle it PRIVATELY, and the only reason I brought it out into the public this week was to point out that there is a point in time when everyone gets hurt and angry and maybe certain things that people do say should be said and handled in a more private way....If I decide to leave it will be for the reason that I cannot stand to see anymore hurtful statements out in the public and the bottom line is this: Whoever makes these kinds of statements has a right to do so, because of freedom of speech, HOWEVER people do not have to agree with it or stand around and be hurt and offended by any potential statements by the ones who choose not to handle things in a more private way. I have to say that what has been going on REALLLLLY saddens me and I can only pray to god that it will stop and people will heal...but I guess that is kind of unrealistic...

I honestly don't know what she is saying. When people post general statements, it is difficult to know what they mean and who they are referring to. Your guess is as good as mine.

I am referring to some of the comments in this thread and the previous thread about ross titled ross is da man ( which he is). That seemed like they were totally uncalled for. I am not passing judgement what-so-ever but alot of those posts sure were said in anger and never should have been said. Some of those posts seemed like they were attacks on the people that started the other forum. And with that being said maybe is the reason they ended up leaving and starting the other website. A place where they felt comfortable being able to speak their mind without others taking it so serious.

I've mainly stayed out of this thread, except to say after quite a few people said Emu was wrong that there were not PMs sent about joining the other site (which if there was, it happens in alot of groups) that there were. Just because someone didn't get one, doesn't mean no one did. People even posted messages there, about a member here that they were going to PM to invite them to join HVP.
I don't think people are hurt or even care that there is another support group. I belong to several CHD groups, many of them branched off from the big first group many of us belonged to and started other groups that had different focuses, wether specific CHDs or local groups, or maybe they wanted to focus on fundraising or awareness along with support. It is fine and many people belong to a couple groups and there aren't hard feelings.

I think where alot of the hard feelings come from is people who did check the new group and looked around to get the feel of the group, like most people do when they find an online group, and saw many posts started just to talk about VR members by name (not in a nice way) that were either friends of theirs, or themselves, or talk about what is going on here or criticize VR or Hank ect. Which is even understandable right when a new groups starts, especially if the members all came from another group, but usually that is short lived and then they don't pay attention to the other groups and instead focus on their goals and members, but months after HVP started many posts were about the terrible members here.
I don't find this thread childish, there is 1 thread that mentioned he missed some members and hoped more wouldn't leave, and others voiced some hurt feelings. Of course peoples feeling are going to be hurt, when they read hurtful things coming from people who act nice here and say completely different things at the other site. IS it ALL of the members there that join in on the bashing there? ..NO of course not. Just like not all the members get involved in any of the not pleasent threads here.

BUT what I DO find childish, is when a member (who rarely posts here) posted over there, that he was going to start a thread here JUST to upset a certain member here (by name) and not one person told him not to or maybe he should just leave VR alone if he wasn't happy ect. Some thought it would be funny.
So he did post a thread here JUST to annoy a member that posts alot here. THAT to me is childish. Saying on another group that you've been spending alot of time at VR because you enjoy watching confrontations is childish.
Maybe the new group was going through "growing pains" and now that they've been in existence longer, everything will settle down. I hope so. I personally welcome a second group. It gives valve replacement recipients a choice of information that can be accessed at all times. Hopefully things will settle down and then like all the different CHD groups I belong to, the only time other groups are mentioned is to ask for prayers for someone going thru a tough time.

Most of us were not aware of the other site until Hank sent the email out and the Ross da man thread was started. And if they were doing as you said they were Lyn than by all means I disagree with that also. And there is no need for that. When i make general statements it is to try to word it as well as I can without creating a confrontation. There are always going to be people that read things differently from the way they are meant. I have done it more than once. And that happens because it is typed out. I'm sure we have been guilty of it. Heck, I'm sure that we have done it when we were in the same room as others. I too have tried to stay away from this topic, but after seeing that another thread had been started about it and I read through it felt the need to agree with superbob, wise, and kathy. And that is when I posted. Duffey if you took offense to my post I apologize.

Short version:

I didn't know about the other site until Hank posted the link.

I went to check it out and signed up.

I was not made to feel welcome.

I cancelled my membership.

The nice thing about the Internet is that you can choose where you hang out.

I've made my choice.

Mark

Still here

Still here

I have had so much trouble logging on to this BB lately that it appears that I have defected, not so.
Altho' I have looked at the new web site I am not impressed with some of the replies. I also believe that there is adequate room for 2 BBs and both need supporting. I prefer this one but it doesn't have to stop me participating in or reading the other. There are good points in both, both are very USA biased but that is because they have a lot of USA members c/w us Europeans.
My hope is that the Americans can read and understand our points of view even though they may be alien to them.

I for one, absolutely try to understand our UK/European friends. I believe the majority of folks on both forums actively seek to do that. I think that, part of that statement, "My hope is that the Americans can read and understand our points of view, even though they may be alien to them, certainly works both ways.

I Have what I consider several good friends on the forums outside the US, that I have tremendous respect for and their views even though at times, we may differ.

Back