December 12 Two Year Anniversary Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Hi Everyone!

Sorry to have been scarce this time of year. So many kids' programs, so little time. Last year had to miss the actual anniversary since everything was happening the same day. As it was I had to take KC to his school's Live Nativity on Dec. 12th, and Jane had her major Ballet and Jazz Dance performance the same night, which Laura took her to. In addition, there were at least three dinner events we had to say no to. It could have been the same this year, but the Grotto Banquet (I'm a member of the National Speleological Society, and local associations are called "Grottoes") was Thursday night this year, and the Live Nativity was Friday night (both kids participated this time, KC was a Wise Man, and Jane was an Angel like she was 2 years ago).

Of course two years ago I had to cancel my participation in the Grotto banquet (December 15th, 2007). I told my club members at the January meeting, "Though I thought I really wanted to go to the banquet, I guess my heart just wasn't in it." :D I still remember the groans and chuckles.

For those of you who are new, I will do a summary. On December 9th I felt a weird series of PVCs in the morning just before church, and felt a peculiar fluttery feeling in my carotid arteries in my throat. We went to church, and on the sermon notes was the title "Check Your Heart." God was trying to tell me something. That night went to the local ER, but they misdiagnosed just lung troubles with possible pulmonary fibrosis. Went home that night, felt worse by morning. Went to ER Dec. 10th again, this time admitted with "atypical pneumonia," then my wife and my former primary care physician from my CSI (college professor) teaching days thought about my heart. The echo confirmed a problem, but I had retained so much fluid that I could not be life-flighted Dec. 11th. A local cardiologist aggressively diuresed me and I was ready for transport Dec. 12th. Flew to Boise, and was in surgery 40 minutes after arrival. I was so critical that the doctor thought I had 15% chance of dying even with a good repair, and 50% chance of enduring mental and/or physical handicap. A lot of prayer went up for me (108 prayer chains amongst other things), and I made it. Was sickest critical patient in the cardiac ICU first day, and they thought I would be intubated for 3 weeks and hospitalized for about 2 months based on my lungs' terrible initial condition--if I survived that long. However, my condition improved so rapidly that my Intensivist doctor upgraded me from critical to good and I was successfully extubated 1 1/2 days after surgery. Thus, I then received the somewhat ironic honor of becoming the healthiest patient in the cardiac ICU. Since they weren't expecting my recovery so quickly, there wasn't a room yet available on the Telemetry floor, so I stayed an extra day in the ICU. Took lots of walks around the place, and talked with various staff. On the third day, got to the Telemetry floor and was on room air by day 5. I was released December 20th, and was home for Christmas. Even my lungs healed--something that wasn't mentioned a lot, but after the fact they thought my aerobic capacity could be permanently impaired even if I otherwise recovered fully. Thank You God!!

Many of you heard my tales of woe from my times of severe depression and medication side-effects. We also shared much happier times, and lively discussions. I didn't find VR until almost two months post-surgery. My problem was emergent, so there had been no warning, except a diagnosis of "benign" mitral valve prolapse. :rolleyes:

My aerobic capacity is better than it has been since my early 20s, and my heart is doing just fine. All physical activities have returned to normal, and I have even advanced to High Yellow in Tae Kwon Do (Do San--for those who are familiar with the Korean terms for the rank) at the same school my children have attended for the past 2 1/2 years. I started April, 2009, and will attempt to advance to Low Green (Won Hyo) in either January or February. Aspirin is the only directly heart-related medication I take; the others are for unrelated stuff (or indirectly such as depression).

How we're celebrating is to go out to dinner with a couple of good friends, one of whom was the woman nurse who was teaching a student nurse how to insert a Foley catheter Dec. 11th, 2007 when the diuretic was working extremely efficiently.

The only sour note, which I'll go into detail about in another post, is our dog Andromeda is now going through another paralysis episode. Like last time she's continent and in no apparent pain, but she hasn't been able to stand under her own power since Tuesday, a very cold day.

Thanks again for all of your friendship and support these past (almost) two years. I'm still grateful to be alive, and want to continue participating in life in general and on VR. :)

Chris

Happy 2nd valversary to you, Chris! What a journey you have had, but glad to read that your aerobic capacity is better than it was in your 20's!!
All the very best to you and wishing you many ,many more years of good health.

Now the second anniversary of my homecoming: I celebrated by cleaning up the living room for the first time in well over a year. Not to say I didn't clean up parts, but it had been a long time for parts that had been buried under toys for quite some time. It's nice to see carpet again. Laura is on call for 4 days over the Christmas holiday and 4 days over the New Year's holiday, making for a chancy celebration. At any time Laura could be called away to assist on a C-section or talk to someone who needs after-hours help. KC's 9th birthday will be New Year's Day, so it's possible that Laura may miss some or most of it.

Sort of frustrating that not very many commented on my valversary. Unless this is due to mine 'merely' being a repair. The experience was the same and I would have been just as dead as anyone else here if my repair hadn't taken place, as they would have been if their valve(s) hadn't been replaced. In other words, my OHS was as meaningful a life-changing event as anyone else's here--continued life when otherwise I'd be dead. I appreciate you ottawagal, Bina, and hall for your kinds remarks and posts. I'll just assume that the rest had other concerns and didn't mean any offense by not posting. I'm thankful for all of the support and kindness shown to us over the past two years, and think the world of everyone here.

Merry Christmas,

Chris

Chris,
Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. I hit 2 years of my MV repair in Feb. Your post sounds like you are really doing well. As a fellow repair I agree, it was not any less traumatic of an experience for me or my family. I would attribute the reduced posts to everyone getting ready for Christmas.

Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

Chris

Latest posts

Back