DC Area has Heart Valve Screening Clinics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtread

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
For folks in the DC area, Suburban Hospital in Bethesda is having their first ever Heart Valve Screening Clinics. They just had their first one on October 5, 2011, and have two more scheduled soon:

Heart Valve Screening Clinic
Wednesdays | October 5, November 2 and December 7 | 4-6pm

Suburban Hospital is conducting its first heart valve screening clinc for the community this fall. Ideal for people who know they have a heart murmur or other heart rhythm disorder, such as atrial fibrillation, or a documented history of valve disease. Participants will receive an echocardiogram (echo) and a consult with a cardiologist. If the participant's findings are abnormal, the valve clinic staff will communicate this to the patient's referring physician. Space is limited. Call 301-896-3939 to register.
Date Session Date Time Location
11/2/2011 Wednesday 4-6pm Suburban Hospital
8600 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda
12/7/2011 Wednesday 4-6pm Suburban Hospital
8600 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda

I believe that there is no charge for the screening, but you'll have to check with Suburban Hospital to verify, and to register, if you're interested.

The Suburban Hospital website is at: www.suburbanhospital.org
Once there, click on "Classes and Events", then click on "Health Screenings" on the Drop Down.

This is good news!

Wow, that's fantastic! I wish they would start them up everywhere. I just had my echo last week and since we're paying for our own insurance these days (ouch) with a very high deductible which I haven't nearly met, it's gonna put me back $400 plus whatever the cardio decides to charge me. I asked the echo tech (a lovely woman who's been doing echos for 13 years) why on earth they are so expensive. She didn't know; I mean I doubt that she gets the $400!! I also asked her what she thought about just such a clinic; particularly for high school athletes (or college bound -- as in the $800+ I chose to pay to be sure my daughter was okay and could play sports). The tech was so enthusiastic and said she would be so happy to give up some weekends in order to perform the echos. I'm sure she's not the only person in this country who would be willing.
I hope there is some good press along with this. Where is Barbara Walters when you need her??

Thanks for sharing.
Marguerite

Marguerite, you could have taken the $800 and hopped on a plane with your daughter, visited your old home town, and perhaps had money left over. I also do not understand why it would cost so much for an echo. I've got an HMO and I pay $30 copay when I have an echo. $400 is pretty steep. Not half as bad as a root canal, but it still hurts. The only press I've seen on this was small blurb in local paper. Then I went onto hospital website for details. I've found that its not a bad idea to check local hospital websites occasionally for health screening and other community events.

Marguerite, you could have taken the $800 and hopped on a plane with your daughter, visited your old home town, and perhaps had money left over. I also do not understand why it would cost so much for an echo. I've got an HMO and I pay $30 copay when I have an echo.

Ha! You're right! And I could have joined my friend (whom I've known for 54 years) at our 40th high school reunion, too!! Now why didn't I think that through better?? :rolleyes2::tongue2:

Double ouch about your only paying $30 for your echo! But that's wonderful, really. I just got a message from the cardio's nurse today saying that my echo results were "okay". My cardio is never big on superlatives, so I'm pretty sure that means I'm perfect. I called the office, then, and asked the receptionist, if my echo results are fine, do I really need to see the cardio? (another $200+, mind you). She said she didn't think so, so I cancelled my follow-up appointment!! They are sending me a copy of the echo so if anything is at all concerning, I can always reschedule. I'll probably get a friendly call from the cardio one day wondering why I didn't come to see her!!

That's a good tip about calling medical centers. I used university medical center studies to have my 2 sons looked at -- a coincidental echo screening for BAV. At least I wasnt' out 3 times $800! :eek2: They didn't play college sports, so I wasn't as concerned.

:smile2:
Marguerite

If you don't have good insurance you're screwed. My surgery was around $112K. I only paid about $500 and I had the LOW option. If I had had the High option I would have paid even less. By comparison, my sister is self employed. She fell and broke her arm (badly) and ended up paying $5,000 deductible. So she paid more for a broken arm than I did for open heart surgery and nine days in the hospital.

Latest posts

Back