Day 3, doing all right

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river-wear

Dr. Bavaria repaired my valve Wednesday. He's proud of it and says he may post a video. Description to follow when I'm up to more typing. Trying to walk and use spirometer as much as I can. Took a nap today too. Sucks to feel so weak, but I've been lucky so far!

I appreciate all I've learned in here because it has really helped me be mentally prepared! The chest tubes were kind of gross, as well as the neck line. Back later.

Glad to see you feel like posting! Hope you get a video. I asked my surgeon if someone could take a few photos for me. I got a flat "no!"

Here's to a speedy, bump free recovery!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I've had my hubby take daily photos. Today was the first walking shot. Amazing how weak my thighs feel, given I was hiking mountains last week. Should come in handy tho! Surgeon was surprised I wasn't having a hard time with the "torrential" regurgitation. Keeping my fingers crossed for more luck.

Looks like I'll be stuck here 'til Tuesday. Biggest rec so far: bring pre-moistened face towelettes!

Day 5, I had the pacer wires removed. Had to lie in bed for an hour as they monitored my vital signs for problems. I lost about five pounds of fluid since yesterday. I look like an accident victim with all of my various bruises from IVs, central line, etc. Even a couple of faux chest tube holes, probably from tape ripped off. There's a large thing that looks like a bar code next to my incision from tape too. Ouch. Still, I can't complain.

The team here in Philly is top notch and I'm glad I came 3000 miles for this repair. Hoping and praying it will last my lifetime!

Oh, and once the pacer wires were gone, I could take a blessed shower! I don't smell bad anymore. Hooray! Looks like I will get out tomorrow. Will post surgical specifics then.

Couldn't sleep last night. They let me have a dose of Benadryl. Shift doc shut down an occasional Percocet because of my codeine sensitivity. :(

Nurse was nice and let me have 3.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Must be feeling better when I have sleep to complain about!

5 days without a shower does sound tough. Glad to hear it's going well, obviously, and have to say I'm pleased that the team down there is top notch

Honestly, while the shower was awesome it was also semi-strenuous and a little scary. I didn't care too much about anything before that.

Looks like they'll let me go today if I want. After an echo to see how the valve looks.

Echo was fine (trace regurgitation, good gradient) and I'M OUTTA THERE! Just got back to the hotel and I already love the relative quiet.

Congrats! I'm sure the food is a lot better also. I've been thinking about a hotel room for a few days in the city when I get around to having my operation. Figure first few days out of the hospital I might feel a little more comfortable closer to the hospital . Also easier for the family to visit while I'm in the hospital waiting to get out as we live about 40 minutes or so away.

First dose of extended release Metoprolol today. I was on 12.5mg every six hours in the hospital. Took 50mg this morning and within a half hour the train ran me over and I was OUT. Thought I'd have a nap on the couch, but I slept deeply for an hour. Woke up queasy and shaky. I feel like ****.

The last pill I had to take this morning was a huge potassium tablet for the Lasix. I choked on that a few minutes even though I had cut it in half. The one in the hospital wasn't that big... Now I'm afraid of my meds. The Lasix is only for two more days so I should be happy about that.

One other word for the wise: if your tongue feels icky and looks kind of white, be sure to show the nurse right away. I have a slight case of thrush from the IV vancomycin I was on the first couple of days. Hopefully the mouthwash will make it disappear fast.

I feel like I've been released with a new body and I need to finish reading the owner's manual.

Hope you feel better. Is the metoprolol just for a period of time after the operation or does anyone know if it's " standard" practice to stay on it permanently? My cardiologist said the other day she'd like me to stay on it in perpetuity even after the operation to fix the aneurysm. She said because I already have an aneurysm and some people with a BAV have a tendency to get them. I told her the surgeon said after the operation the odds of me getting another one is extremely small and if my blood pressure is fine why do I need to be on beta blockers. She then said it all depends on what he sees when he's in there. Do any cardiologists ever recommend diet and exercise instead of drugs?

My doctor has kept me on coreg and lisinopril, with no end specified. My heart still has a long way to go as far as reverse remodeling, and the medication will continue to aid that process. I was told to exercise as well, so not exercise "instead of drugs", but certainly "in addition to". I know a lot of people are eager to get off of beta blockers and I'm not entirely sure why, in most cases. You might have some side effects, but that can usually be eliminated by changing meds. Also remember that if you were on them before surgery and continue them after, the dosage will probably drop significantly.

I usually have no trouble swallowing big pills but I too struggled with the potassium tablet. I solved the problem by hiding each half-tab in a spoonful of either grits or yogurt. I imagine apple sauce or something similar would work great too.

I asked one of Dr. Bavaria's fellows about the Metoprolol and he said it might be forever and "it's good for your heart." I am not convinced, but I do know it's pretty standard for at least a few months. My BP and resting HR are definitely higher now. BP used to be about 110/55 and now around 128/80.

A nurse was sent to check on me. Learned something else: you cannot crush the potassium tabs, but it's okay to dissolve it in a little juice to make it easier to swallow. I'm so relieved. They'll have a nurse come back another time or two, and they gave me an off hours number if questions come up.

I'm feeling better now and will probably walk over to see the "historic" Macy's next door for an air conditioned walk later this afternoon.

Back