Dad's Testing is scheduled!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

First off, I would like to thank you all for your positive thoughts, prayers, energies.... whatever you all are doing sure is helping!

this was dad's 3rd OHS, but let me tell you... you are never prepared enough for any of it! However, this forum definitely is amazing. It allows you to see that you're not alone, gives you the opportunity to educate yourself, is very reassuring, and most importantly it makes you put things into perspective. But last night, waiting to hear word on my dad and then meeting with bbbdirector's family put a whole new twist to this whole entire experience. We were told on numerous occassions that things could get postponed at any time due to an emergency. And for that emergency to be the family sitting next to you is even crazier. I feel so uneasy about my dad just because I know that he has quite a road ahead of him yet.... but also because of the pain and fear that bbbdirector's family is feeling as well.

All of this has been so surreal!!!

Dr Pettersson and the nurses are pleased with my dad's progress so far... and honestly he's looking even better this afternoon than he did just a few hours ago. His urine output has been good. The edema is definitely going down. They are weaning him off all of the meds and he's responding well so far. He even tried to get up already!!! Thank goodness for the arm straps!!! lol. We warned the nurses that he's a tough, stubborn greek.... good thing that listened!

hour by hour, Day by day... that's all that we can do right now... is be patient and hope that Dad's body cooperates as it should! He's still on the ventilator... they mentioned something about trying to extubate him today... but I dont think that'll happen til tomorrow. But then again... I'm not a doctor! ;-)

Thank you all again.
Will post more asap.

I'm glad you dad is doing so well. Sound's like he all ready to get up and "get going". Thats fantastic. 1 year ago I was in the ICU at Stanford and my wife told me how much support she felt from others in the waiting room at Stanford during that time and how much that meant to her to not only receive that support but to be able to give it as well. I'm glad your family and the family of bbbdirector's have found that same support for each other.

HAPPY THANKSGIVNG EVERYONE!!!

My family and I have much to be thankful today here in Cleveland. Dad was extubated this morning and he is breathing very well on his own. Of course they are still giving him oxygen, though. His bilirubin levels have dropped to 2... very good news. His kidney levels didnt drop as much, however they are still very pleased with the progress. his Hgb levels are slowly increasing.

Today I am much more at ease with picking a date to get back to NJ so I can gets big hugs from my llittle ones.... missing them dearly.

I look forward to reporting that my dad is hanging from ceiling fans along with Carolyn's dad!! lol. Soon enough. And Watson524, hopefully your mom can join them too!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!

Andrea - so glad to hear things are moving along smoothly!! Did you drive out to Cleveland from NJ or fly? If you're driving, you're going not too far from my area.... probably taking 80 straight across... wave if you're going by :)

I am very happy to report this morning that my Dad is rapidly healing!!! While they had expected to keep him in ICU thru the weekend.... the nurse told us first thing this morning that since he is doing so well they will be transferring Dad to step down later today. He even had a popsicle earlier!!! oh Wait.... just got word from my Aunt that he's on popsicle #2!!! Wooohoooo. lol Its amazing how you learn to appreciate the little things!!!

As glad as he is to hear that he'll get out of the ICU today... Dad is still very scared and waiting for some kind of bad news. It's been a real rough year filled with lots of negativity. So, I just keep trying to reassure him that he is progressing very well. And that the worst is over. Hopefully he will soon feel well enough to believe it. I also remind him that surgery was only a couple of days ago!

Watson524, yes, I have been driving back and forth. And you can guarantee that I will be waiving to you!!! I definitely feel much better picking a date to head back home.

Okay. Til later.

What great news. I can certainly understand the fear of waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. Justin's had a few really bad post op times, so even when things are going great..I never really relax until he's about 2 months post op. So since all his bad news has been so recently and fresh in his mind, it makes perfect sense for him to think that old saying if it seems to be to good to be true. But try to remind him the odds are really good to have a good recovery and for the most part having bad complications is pretty rare.
Now is the time he has to do his part the work to keep his recovery going so well, make sure he does his breathing exercises and walks as often as they tell him too.
I hope your family is able to take care of yourselves too (eat good, rest ect) so you don't get too run down before he gets home. ..I know that is much easier said than done. You are all in my prayers.

Andrea,
Tell your dad to close his eyes and feel the love around him. Plus I'm sending some huge hugs to you, him and the rest of your family. That feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop will go away. I had that feeling with my husband and as of Jan. 2010 he hasn't been back to the hospital so I'm thankful every single day. Your dad will see that things are getting better, he just needs a little bit of time. God has many things in store for him still, so just hug him and he will feel all the love coming out from you to him.

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry for taking so long to give you the latest update. Since returning home to NJ I have been running around like a loonytune with my little guys, trying to get ready for Christmas, and even had some minor surgery of my own! And, Yes, I am fine. lol.

Now for the news that you actually came to read.... DAD IS HOME!!! He actually came home last sunday (12/5). He miraculously made it home less than 2 weeks post-op!!! We are still amazed. I know that is the expected hospital recovery period... but with my dad we have unfortunately learned to be prepared for the worse. As sad as it is to say.... that is what this year has been like. Anyway, times are changing and I now believe in 2 gods... the one with the master plan.... and Dr Pettersson!!!! I only got to meet with him briefly just after the surgery.... however he did visit with my dad quite a number of times. He, his staff, Dr Hammer, and my dad's cardio here in NJ are all very happy with my dad's results. There's no leakage of any sort. Very exciting news. Scott... you are so very right.... my Dad looks MUCH better since the surgery. He kidney and liver were a mess pre-op.... but they have managed to correct themselves. Amazing what a little oxygenated blood can do for a body!!! lol

After Dr Pettersson removed my dad's aorta he sent it to the lab to get cultured and sure enough Staph grew. Unknown how long its been lingering in my dad... but its been mentioned that it could possibly be the reason that the surgery in Feb didn't work. So, anyway, my Dad has a pic line and goes for daily vancomycin treatments. He's having some prostate issues and just had his catheter removed today. And he complains of his right hand hurting him (apparently caused by a muscle from the way he was opened up... he's been told it is a fairly common side effect). But other than that.... he is definitely on the mend. Slowly but surely he'll get to where he was this time last year!

Scott, thanks so much again for visiting with my dad. You truly are a special person. It was really nice meeting with you in person.

Well, folks, that is the latest report from NJ. I hope to have more good news for you soon.

Take care, keep warm, and stay healthy!!!

I am very excited to go up with my family tomorrow so we can spend the day with him.

Back