Dad's Testing is scheduled!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyCap

We're going on a road trip!!!

Dad just got the call this morning that he is scheduled for testing on Thurs (11/11) and then to meet with Dr Pettersson on Friday.

Having some sort of schedule has definitely put my dad at ease. He is very excited to go and meet with Dr P (me, too). As it is, surgery is set for Dec 7th. It will be very interesting to see what the experts out there have to say.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Thanks for listening.

Very happy to hear you now have some scheduling. As each step of the process progresses, it becomes easier to cope. Now that you have some scheduling, hopefully you can wrap your head around it a little more easily.

Of course, you and your Dad will be in our thoughts and we wait news.
Best Wishes.

We're here in Cleveland... very impressive so far.

They've moved dad's surgery date up to Nov. 22nd. We've been meeting with all the different departments all day. And have just learned from the cardiologist, Dr Hammer, that dad's problem may be connective tissue disorder. We have always been told that the original aneurysm was genetic... but perhaps that wasn't the case all along.

They may admit him this evening depending on how the rest of the tests go (in with Nephrology now.) They'd like to get dad in as best shape as possible prior to surgery.... remove fluids, readjust meds, etc.

Patiently awaiting more results and answers.

I'm glad things are moving along so well. I know you've been very concerned about waiting. Its very possible the connective tissue disorder, is genetic so it would make sense they said the original annuerysm was.
I'm glad you were able to be there with your Dad, so can get all your questions answerred and hear what the different docs say.

Hello all.

Got the call earlier this evening that Dad's surgery has been postponed to Tuesday. what's 1 more day, right?!?!?

Almost all of his testing is completed. Except for his cath which they have set for Monday. Dr Pettersson went to Dad's room (he's still in the hospital) today and spoke to him about the surgery. Unfortunately, I missed him since I am back in NJ. But I am headed back to CLeveland in the am. Dr Pettersson explained that it is a very risky surgery, but nothing that he has not handled before. He will be reconstructing the entire aorta (or almost all... new root, valve, and possibly the ascending section) with a homograft, replacing the mitral valve with a porcine valve... and he is unsure of the tricuspid valve at this time. Once he has dad on the table... that will decide a few other things.

Really bummed that I didn't get to personally meet with Pettersson..... but I needed to come home and get some hugs from my little guys.

Quite an emotional week.... but we're almost there!!!

Wishing you all a safe and healthy weekend!

There's the plan, thank you for keeping us updated. You will undoubtedly meet the doctor. I met my father's surgeon for the first time while on my way to the ICU. Best wishes and much prayer to your Dad, get as much rest as possible - as you know the emotional stress is exhaustive. I'll keep looking for your posts knowing the good news is right around the corner.

The cath went well today.
Tomorrow they expect to take him sometime between 12 and 2pm.

I look forward to reporting some good news to you soon.

on the calendar ....
hello all.

Got the call earlier this evening that dad's surgery has been postponed to tuesday. What's 1 more day, right?!?!?

Almost all of his testing is completed. Except for his cath which they have set for monday. Dr pettersson went to dad's room (he's still in the hospital) today and spoke to him about the surgery. Unfortunately, i missed him since i am back in nj. But i am headed back to cleveland in the am. Dr pettersson explained that it is a very risky surgery, but nothing that he has not handled before. He will be reconstructing the entire aorta (or almost all... New root, valve, and possibly the ascending section) with a homograft, replacing the mitral valve with a porcine valve... And he is unsure of the tricuspid valve at this time. Once he has dad on the table... That will decide a few other things.

Really bummed that i didn't get to personally meet with pettersson..... But i needed to come home and get some hugs from my little guys.

Quite an emotional week.... But we're almost there!!!

Wishing you all a safe and healthy weekend!

Good evening everyone...

Thanks so much for all your thoughts, prayers, kind words, etc.

They took Dad into the prep room here at Cleveland at 2:30 this afternoon. They gave us a beeper that is supposed to notify us the minute they begin working on his heart. It's now 6:15 and we haven't heard anything yet. This is beyond nerve wrecking.... but I suppose its to be expected given this is Dad's 3rd OHS.

Well, thats it for now. Hope to have some good news to report to you all soon.

Hi Scott.

So very true. I know those surgeons have quite a bit of work to do in there... and of course we want it done properly... that's why we traveled so far from home.

I wish I could be in there watching it all. Crazy, I know... but that's me.

DEEP BREATHS... thats what I have been teaching my Dad... and reminding myself.

well, Dr Pettersson came out about an hour ago and told us that he completely replaced the aorta with a homograft. replaced the mitral valve with a porcine valve and repaired the tricuspid. so things went pretty much according to plan. Now we're just waiting on him being closed up and stabilizing.

Met the family of bbbdirector here in the waiting room... apparently she was the case before my dads... praying that she pulls through. She has a lot of love here in the waiting room!

Hopefully I'll have some more good news for you all later.

Watson... good luck to your mom. Keep us posted

Latest posts

Back