Dad's AVR tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmitch

First time posting, but have seen a lot of helpful things on this forum.

My dad is having OHS AVR tomorrow. I'm incredibly nervous about it, but trying to be calm for him. He's 69 and has had a history of afib. My biggest concern is that he may have been exposed to the cold I have developed in the last few days. He says he feels fine and has no symptoms but I worry the virus is somehow going to affect the surgery or his recovery. My mother has agreed to make sure the surgeon knows about this situation. A friend who is a cardiac NP says as long as he has no symptoms they will likely go ahead with the surgery. Anyone have a similar situation? I found some posts saying if you have symptoms it's best to delay. But what if you don't have symptoms? Any reason to delay?

Additionally, I'm just generally anxious about the surgery overall. Anyone have tips on how best to pass the time while waiting? I had planned to be at the hospital the whole time but I don't know if I will be allowed to be there, given my cold. Unless there is a private waiting room.

My dad's surgeon is Dr. Kshettry at the Minneapolis Heart Institute at Abbott Northwestern. I've heard great things, but I still worry. I'd love to hear more about the experience for families of those who've had OHS at Abbott (waiting room, communication, post op, etc).

I'd appreciate any insight you may have :)

Thanks!

I'm sure he'll do well
Try to consider something philosophical. Myself I have always tended towards the stoics personally
https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...arcus_Aurelius

"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength"

then there is the Bene Geserit Litany
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i2.wp.com\/www.odrakir.com\/blog\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/06\/dune.jpg"}[/IMG2]

you could also try reading (don't watch the movie) Dune ...

​​​​​​​Best Wishes

Last edited:
mjmitch;n885309 said:
First time posting, but have seen a lot of helpful things on this forum.

My dad is having OHS AVR tomorrow. I'm incredibly nervous about it, but trying to be calm for him. He's 69 and has had a history of afib. My biggest concern is that he may have been exposed to the cold I have developed in the last few days. He says he feels fine and has no symptoms but I worry the virus is somehow going to affect the surgery or his recovery. My mother has agreed to make sure the surgeon knows about this situation. A friend who is a cardiac NP says as long as he has no symptoms they will likely go ahead with the surgery. Anyone have a similar situation? I found some posts saying if you have symptoms it's best to delay. But what if you don't have symptoms? Any reason to delay?

Additionally, I'm just generally anxious about the surgery overall. Anyone have tips on how best to pass the time while waiting? I had planned to be at the hospital the whole time but I don't know if I will be allowed to be there, given my cold. Unless there is a private waiting room.

My dad's surgeon is Dr. Kshettry at the Minneapolis Heart Institute at Abbott Northwestern. I've heard great things, but I still worry. I'd love to hear more about the experience for families of those who've had OHS at Abbott (waiting room, communication, post op, etc).

I'd appreciate any insight you may have :)

Thanks!

Don't worry, you're Dad will do fine.

I had a cold the week before my surgery and they said to not worry about it. It was mostly gone by surgery day and had no effect. After surgery, you can catch worse things than a cold in hospitals and they are used to it. OHS does not require gowns and masks for visitors so post-operative routine cold and flu is not the great risk for OHS as it is for other procedures.

During and after surgery, you can't do anything for or with him and he won't be conscious for awhile, so you should do whatever helps keep you calm and helps your mom. My daughter passed the time by making one of her "sock people". He had a heart in honor of my surgery, but she put it on the wrong side since she wasn't quite all there :) My wife is a puzzle lover and did that. Both of them read and used their Ipads. My son worked and came at the end of the day when I was in my room. OK by me.

Most hospitals will have a waiting room and a method of communicating the surgery status. The one my family goes to gives you a number and has computer screens that tell you the progress vs. the number for patient confidentiality reasons. A nurse may call you or come to tell you how surgery is going or went. The surgeon comes out at the end to tell you it all went OK. In the ICU, generally you will be able to see him one or two people at a time for a few minutes. Once moved to his room, you should be able to camp out.

Keep yourself hydrated and eat.

Many people have a successful AVR in little known hospitals done by people with no "reputation."

I’m sure he will be fine. If he has no symptoms I doubt they will delay. No tips on what to do while you wait since I was the patient! I’m pretty sure that my husband visited the food trucks frequently.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement. They went ahead and did the surgery and everything went perfectly. Surgery was on Tuesday and he was home by Saturday! He's recovering well and, in his physical therapy classes, doing more exercise than he has done in decades. All around good news.

This is such a great forum and I truly appreciated the support. Lots of love and thanks to you all.

Latest posts

Back