Cycle Across America for VR.org

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W

photo9109.jpg

Hello you beautiful people.

A little while back I posted a thread in here regarding the undertaking of some sort of fundraiser to help Hank with the financial upkeep of this wonderful forum. Far too often I came in here, used the site as a resource and yet always passed the “Donate” tab at the top of the page without making a contribution. So I’ve come up with a challenge. I thought I’d do something that included a pastime that I love, cycling. I’ve scaled most of the big climbs in France that are the obstacles on the tour de France, so I needed to be challenged in another way. What about cycling across a country? A big country? Maybe cycling across America? ……….So its on.

On the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] April (not far away now) I will be flying from London to Washington and making my way down to Yorktown, Virginia to cycle west to Astoria, Oregon. I will be following the Trans American Bicycle Trail that goes through 10 states. That’s 4262 miles of asphalt. I will be funding the trip myself and 100% of any money that is donated will go directly to theVR.org. I’m going to take 3 months out of life in London and discover some beautiful parts of the US and I cant wait.

So I’ve come cap in hand to ask you good people if you might consider making a donation for this wonderful event. As VR.org isn’t a registered charity I couldn’t set up a just giving page. What I have done is set up a charity account through my bank in the UK and linked it with a charity Paypal account to make it easier to receive donations. Below are two links where donations can be made. If you haven’t got a Paypal account, not to worry. The last link is where you can make a donation without needing to sign up to Paypal and use a credit or debit card. It’s straight forward and easy.

If anyone wants to join me for part of the ride your more than welcome, just get in touch. When I originally posted the idea some people did express their interest, so you know who you are, please put your hand up and pm me. Additionally if anyone in here is on or near the Trans American Bicycle Trail (map enclosed) and would be prepared to offer a weary Welshman the use of a spare bedroom, sofa, garage for an evening or two then please get in touch. I’m happy to say people have already started donating so I’m off and running. Every donation of any amount will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

David

paypal.me/CycleAcrossAmerica
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr…

Attachments

• photo9101.gif
    photo9101.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
If this post has come up repetitively, my sincere apologies as I've had a torrid time with all things IT this evening.

David.. You are amazing.. Words cannot express the two thoughts I have today.. But I'll try anyways. 1st, Cycling across America? How amazing is that? You are essentially a super man to me.. 2nd, Thank you so much for your generous consideration of ValveReplacement.org as a benefactor for this event.

There have been many times through the years that we have considered closing this site down and it always comes down to understanding how many people this site continues to help every single day. Thank You Thank You Thank You...

Come on folks.. Lets make sure David has a place to stay and rest his legs! We have people all across the world, surely we can roll out the red carpet for SuperMan!

This is so exciting and I look forward to seeing it all come to life through David's Legs & Lungs, and this amazing community...

You won't be crossing my path, David, otherwise I'd be happy to offer you a place to stay. One thing I might be able to do is generate some publicity in the cities you visit if you haven't already made arrangements for that.

Michele

Last edited:
David, it looks like you'll come pretty close to where we live. We have plans to travel throughout the summer, but even if you pass "our neck of the woods" while we are gone, I will make arrangements for you to have a night's lodging. I am also making a donation. Good luck and best wishes! Mary

David,

What a wonderful thing you are doing. wish I could offer you a place to stay, but I'm a few hundred miles off your trail. I'll try to donate what I can to help fund your cause. If you have holes in your trip to stay places check out couchsurfing.com. I'll pm you to discuss joining you for part of the trip.

Duffey;n873190 said:
David, it looks like you'll come pretty close to where we live. We have plans to travel throughout the summer, but even if you pass "our neck of the woods" while we are gone, I will make arrangements for you to have a night's lodging. I am also making a donation. Good luck and best wishes! Mary

Mary

Apologies for my late response ive been a tad busy. That would be wonderful. Where exactly are you?

FredW;n873214 said:
David,

What a wonderful thing you are doing. wish I could offer you a place to stay, but I'm a few hundred miles off your trail. I'll try to donate what I can to help fund your cause. If you have holes in your trip to stay places check out couchsurfing.com. I'll pm you to discuss joining you for part of the trip.

Fred. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. If you want to come along part of the way fro an hour or a day just let me know. All and any contributions are welcome. Warmest regards, David

Shoot, are you sure you don't want to detour a few hundred miles north? Would always host a Welshman just to hear the accent. One of my kids' school teachers is Welsh and I can't get enough of her voice.

David W;n874607 said:
Mary

Apologies for my late response ive been a tad busy. That would be wonderful. Where exactly are you?
. I'm in Cape Girardeau, MO, on the Mississippi River. According to the route map, you will be traveling from SW Missouri to SW Illinois before turning due south. You will be in "my neck of the woods!"

Duffey;n874640 said:
. I'm in Cape Girardeau, MO, on the Mississippi River. According to the route map, you will be traveling from SW Missouri to SW Illinois before turning due south. You will be in "my neck of the woods!"

Hey Duffy. Thanks for the message. Would you believe that given the size of the US, the only place where I will be meeting someone will be just above you in Murphysboro!!!!! Ive planned to stay there for maybe a day or two to hang out with her. But thank you so much for the offer!!! It doesn't seem like there are many people in here on the route unfortunately.

Duffey;n874640 said:

Hey Duffy. Thanks for the message. Would you believe that given the size of the US, the only place where I will be meeting someone will be just above you in Murphysboro!!!!! Ive planned to stay there for maybe a day or two to hang out with her. But thank you so much for the offer!!! It doesn't seem like there are many people in here on the route unfortunately.

dornole;n874630 said:
Shoot, are you sure you don't want to detour a few hundred miles north? Would always host a Welshman just to hear the accent. One of my kids' school teachers is Welsh and I can't get enough of her voice.

Haha. Ive been told the Welsh accent has its merits. Im not quite as incredible as Richard Burton but it gets me by....

Latest posts

Back