cuts on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW - Covid isn't a 'germ' - it's a virus. Antibacterials won't touch it. (But it may prevent opportunistic bacterial infections.
A germ can be a virus or a bacteria (amongst other things that can "infect" us). Was a long time ago but I studied this stuff in college.

True that an antibiotic has no direct effect on a virus (which is not even technically alive; it replicates itself only by hijacking the reproduction process of a living cell - animal, plant, bacterial, whatever, etc).

Who is they that is telling you all this, the doctor office or your job HR? Ot is it just research and you are coming across misinformation. CDC did change the isolation from 10 days to 5 and your company might not be up to the changes yet. You do have to provide a doctor's not if you have FMLA on the job.
On the vaccinated and unvaccinated, many are still dying, just at a slowed pace. The hospitals beds in ICU are filled up main of the unvaxxed. And companies just got the update CDC covid changes in the isolation last month before Christmas. It will take time for all HR
to catch up. Just feel better knowing you were vaccinated and tested. Hope you feel better soon and by then many HR will be caught up on the CDC changes. But you will probably still need to negative test go get back to work. Welcome to the forever future epidemics. This will become a normal for a long time.

My work is spouting the new CDC "guidelines" and pressuring me (& all of us out sick where I work) to return after 5 days. It was not this way about a year or so ago though (there was some kind of emergency act applied to FMLA which has since expired unknown to me which work had adopted and made a big deal of telling us because it made them look like they were looking out for us, no need to call off/apply for fmla/they paid our full salary for up to 2 weeks etc but now that that is over we are being screwed and covid is being treated like a sprained toe and we are subjected to the punitive measures involved with our calloff procedure again). I did not know this has all changed until now that I'm sick myself (or that the CDC had just reduced the quarantine period down to 5 days just recently, which my Dr office wisely disagrees with and wanted it kept at 10 days)....

I don't see a hard 5 days and back to work for those infected. It is conditional on being asymptomatic. If you have symptoms, all bets are off.

True but unfortunately where I work they are stressing AFTER 5 DAYS OF TESTING POSITIVE GET A RAPID TEST AND RETURN TO WORK IF NEG. The asymptomatic part although there is getting buried and even futzed with in their communications to us to mean NO FEVER by their definition instead of NO FEVER or NO SYMPTOMS.

And on top of that in addition to being penalized (we have a point system given out for absences, lateness, leaving early, all for any reason whatsoever) we are forced to get FMLA (a major PITA process) OR BE FIRED if out more than x amount of days (I'm not sure how many, they twist to it benefit their own agenda however they want), and if we do get/use the FMLA to prevent being fired then they take our vacation time away on an hour by hour basis to match the # of hours that we missed. Because of these penalties (and no sick time so no pay if you do not come in) historically where I work everyone just keeps coming in until they drop and anytime one person has a flu/cold EVERYBODY gets sick since we all share the same breakroom, locker rooms, batchrooms, close quarters etc. In the early days of covid however this was changed to make allowances & remove the motivation to always come in no matter what, however I just learned that that is no longer the case and was only due to some kind of govt regulation/extension of FMLA which has expired about a year ago.

I am still too sick to be able to work the 12 hour shifts yet and my Dr is standing up for that for me, however not all workers are doing this because they don't want the points & they need the $$, and even in my case I just asked my Dr to allow me to try to get another test asap and allow me to go back end of this week instead of next week like he wants unless I feel I am still so sick that I cannot manage it - because I do not want to lose my already planned for vacation days.

I went to work while I was having a heart attack for the same reasons - not knowing I was having a heart attack though, only that I had something seriously wrong with me but did not know what it was, thinking I could somehow just tough it out for 2 days until I had a day off to go to a Dr.

This job is the only place I have worked in that treats the workers like this, and I find it incomprehensible and difficult to even try to explain so excuse me if above makes no sense.

I had intended to leave that alone, but:

A germ can be a virus or a bacteria (amongst other things that can "infect" us). Was a long time ago but I studied this stuff in college.

My view is that Germ has many meanings, but fundamentally comes from a time when we did not understand that there even was a microbiological world. So we still see Germ used when anything can grow from that

1642538835510.png

From Wikipedia (where you know a whole ecosystem of competing tribes just waits to pop on [citation needed] or [wording] if they don't just jump in and reword it without engaging the author
The germ of a cereal is the reproductive part that germinates to grow into a plant​

Further the etymology of the word germ itself lends argument to it being a generalised term for anything which can grow.
1642539103769.png

my apologies if this triggers anyone.

One of the things that seems to involve concern (can I say verging on hysteria?) is what happens if you get a cut.

Well today while fitting the ducting for my "room to room air ducting" I managed to fail to secure the safety on the ladder, it fell apart and I landed holding it and lacerated my thumb.

I applied pressure and walked to the local clinic (swearing at my stupidity) where they cleaned and dressed if for me.

View attachment 887863

This is just before stitching (and before the local). During the procedure the I asked the Dr (funny young guy) if this was bleeding more than "expected" ... he said, no, its bleeding less than expected. I'll report my INR tomorrow because I test on Saturday and today is Friday (wouldn't you know it).

UPDATED: INR = 2.8

So with some stitches in place its all bandaged up now and I'll get the dressing changed in a couple of days (probably).

I'm posting this because I want to be able to refer to it when someone else says "I can't go on warfarin in case I cut myself"

This is of course not news to those of us who've been on warfarin for a while.
I could have out done ya in the being stupid dept., thing is, I dont have any images of the wound.
Well what happened is this, I was working as a Security Officer, the grave yard shift, was coming out of the latrine, and slipped and fell. Well that would not have been so bad, but i was holding a folding knife, and in the open position....OUCH! Sliced inner thumb pretty bad, so now, long story short, I applied plenty of pressure for like 1-2 hours I forget now, and it stopped! I didnt go to doctor, when got home I placed a heavy duty bandage on it, and it healed. not even one stitch.
So yes, and with foresight being 20/20 i now know how stupid that was, although even for the fact, the floor was wet!
So back to my point, even if ya cut yaself, that doesnt mean ya gona bleed to death if ya on Warfarin! [and some here may be thinking, that I should have seen a doctor, well i guess the "stupid" lingered a bit on from the time i fell???]

Latest posts

Back