cuts on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got my wish.

Just heard from the Dr office. I am positive for COVID.

Crazy but this diagnosis is what I needed in order to deal with work's insane employee illness policies. Assuming it doesn't kill me of course. In which case I'm OK with that - no more nightshift/factory torture which would be a most welcome relief.

I'm not dead yet though...

Well this is just great.

I communicated to work that I am sick with covid. Very long story short, without them acknowledging it, the old covid policy is now dead. Being out with covid to them is now no different than being out with a broken ankle (but even worse/more pressure to return within 5 days).

My Dr told me to quarantine for 10 days (up through Sat 1/22). Then if I was better I could come back to their special covid patient "lab" (a vacant office where I was on Friday across from their real office) and get another test. If I was recovered, no symptoms and tested neg, then I could stop isolation and go back to work. I told work this.

In reponse they sent me a form letter email checklist of YOU MUST DO THIS etc saying to isolate for FIVE days (not ten). To then get a test (they keep pushing rapid tests which you have to buy/do yourself instead of the more accurate lab based ones that the Dr office is using which takes a day or so to get the result back). Then to return to work. And if NOT returning to work then needing to call off for all days that I will miss. Needing to deal with their horrible insurance company (CIGNA) to get FMLA and STD setup. Plus that I will get points for not coming in and working my scheduled shifts (but the points will count as one occurence instead of separate ones for each - which would be enough to get fired btw - just like any extended absence is IF I provide a Dr;s note).

There is more to this but just saying that now I am stuck in the middle (AND am very sick on top of it). Totally stressed out. The effort required to deal with CIGNA is more energy than I even possess at this point.

Doing some research this is all due to the CDC/whitehouse caving in to big business pressure and reducing the already reduced 10 day isolation period further down to 5 days about a few weeks ago. Plus the policy which work was following in 2020 or whenever it was, which made everything easier (no need to call off, no need to deal with CIGNA unless missing more than 2 weeks/80 hours, being paid for timed missed) has expired meaning now I am screwed, in same situation as if I had not tested positive, have to go through the EXACT same hassles as if I just had the flu or a broken toe as far as calling off/not getting paid/dealing with CIGNA etc.

P.S. Heard from a colleague that in addition to a bunch of people being out sick with covid now, that one (a non-vaxxer) has died. The pressure work is putting on people to return earlier than their own Dr recommendations, even if still spreading the germs, could even have contributed to his death (who knows???). Having health decisions made for us not by Drs or health professionals but by bureaucratic business interests is a wonderful thing. No wonder covid is rampaging lately.

Welcome to America. One corporation, under god, etc etc...

(back to bed)

Last edited:
Well this is just great.

I communicated to work that I am sick with covid.

(back to bed)
Sorry to hear but you can get thru this. Suggestion, if your symptoms continue to get worse and start to approach bronchitis, start calling all local medical facilities about getting the monoclonal antibodies. Tell them about your heart condition and any other Issues. Look online for infusion centers as well. The sooner you get them the sooner you recover. You start to feel better within 12 hours. I went thru this in October and multiple friends recently have. The latest infusion also covers Omicron variant. Good luck!

Sorry to hear but you can get thru this. Suggestion, if your symptoms continue to get worse and start to approach bronchitis, start calling all local medical facilities about getting the monoclonal antibodies. Tell them about your heart condition and any other Issues. Look online for infusion centers as well. The sooner you get them the sooner you recover. You start to feel better within 12 hours. I went thru this in October and multiple friends recently have. The latest infusion also covers Omicron variant. Good luck!

Thx for the advice but that is not something I can take on. My Dr(s) know my medical history (I am being treated for covid by a diff Dr than my regular one, in the same office btw). I was told that if I started getting short of breath to go to an emergency room though. Of course I am so weak/tired at this point I can't even walk to the car let alone drive to the hospital. But it has not approached that point yet. If it does I do leave it to my Drs to get involved and make sure I get the right care whatever that may be (which of course in my experience with Drs over the course of my life means that I will die).

At this point I still feel awful but able to breathe, not short of breath, just sick. And I had bronchitis already thx to the flu last month and having to work in 40 degree temperatures for 12 hour shifts at work, but that actually feels better now (my coughing is getting less). With covid the worst thing has been the continued spiking fever, utter exhuastion, headache, & sinus pressure. Off to take some Tylenol now and going back to bed.

Congrats on your own recovery of course! How was your INR during covid? I tested mine b4 going to sleep this morning & it has gone up about .5 since my previous test. At 2.9 it is the highest I've been in a very long time but am not concerned about it.

Thx for the advice but that is not something I can take on. My Dr(s) know my medical history (I am being treated for covid by a diff Dr than my regular one, in the same office btw). I was told that if I started getting short of breath to go to an emergency room though. Of course I am so weak/tired at this point I can't even walk to the car let alone drive to the hospital. But it has not approached that point yet. If it does I do leave it to my Drs to get involved and make sure I get the right care whatever that may be (which of course in my experience with Drs over the course of my life means that I will die).

At this point I still feel awful but able to breathe, not short of breath, just sick. And I had bronchitis already thx to the flu last month and having to work in 40 degree temperatures for 12 hour shifts at work, but that actually feels better now (my coughing is getting less). With covid the worst thing has been the continued spiking fever, utter exhuastion, headache, & sinus pressure. Off to take some Tylenol now and going back to bed.

Congrats on your own recovery of course! How was your INR during covid? I tested mine b4 going to sleep this morning & it has gone up about .5 since my previous test. At 2.9 it is the highest I've been in a very long time but am not concerned about it.
Hang in there and watch those symptoms. Would be good if you could monitor oxygen levels to watch for potential drop.
My INR went down during Covid from 2.6 to 2.1 I needed to increase Warfarin dosage. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
The chills and sweats were the worst. But the breathing is most critical.

Hang in there and watch those symptoms. Would be good if you could monitor oxygen levels to watch for potential drop.
My INR went down during Covid from 2.6 to 2.1 I needed to increase Warfarin dosage. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
The chills and sweats were the worst. But the breathing is most critical.

Wow, great idea, wish I thought of that! I have a pulse-ox tester.

I think it is OK - in 3 readings, 3 diff fingers, got 97%, 99%, and 98%.

Very reassuring to have this around during this to keep my mind at ease. My chest is tight but lungs must still be working. I will keep checking this every so often.

Another thing weird with covid - my ROS (rate of sneezing) is off the charts! I've sneezed more in the last 3 days than I have in the last 3 years combined (just sneezed as I typed this).

Make sure to disinfect your screen if yer reading this, would not want my germs infecting anyone via the internet (I heard the latest covid variant can spread through TCP/IP - nothing would surprise me anymore)....

Very reassuring to have this around during this to keep my mind at ease. My chest is tight but lungs must still be working. I will keep checking this every so often.
aren't modern tools fantastic?

Imagine trying to manage without them? Pure guess work.

Your ROS rate (first to know of this term) suggests you have an allergy (positive thinking)

Be careful with the fake idea that it spreads via TCP/IP that's false as a simple MAC filter on your router will block that ... it uses higher level.

Take care, and best of luck with a rapid turn around, never lose hope:
1642405475179.png

(*rather like string, as used in hospital)

I made up the ROS factor, sounded good.

I'm sure the sneeze/allergy is in response to the covid germ. Interestingly when I was a kid and got sick I would always get sicker than everybody else as far as congestion goes (including in my lungs, had to be hospitalized twice with "the croup" even). Supposedly the Dr felt it was because I would have allergic type reactions to colds/flu (??). For awhile there I was getting allergy shots that were based on germs rather than allergens like dust/trees/pollens/etc. I don't recall the details and I suppose it could have been quackery.

Be careful with the fake idea that it spreads via TCP/IP that's false as a simple MAC filter on your router will block that ... it uses higher level.
I've got it blocked incoming with a stateful inspection firewall. 4got to turn it on outbound though and wanted to warn you guys. Beware because you can't just block a known port for covid if your firewall operates that way. It uses random ports. Be especially wary of the new variant which is piggybacking in on port 80 for normal HTML (website) traffic. Stateful inspection of every packet is the way to go. Make sure to keep up to date on your firewall filters for the new covid network variants - tough to stay on top of them since I think they are mutating at a rate of doubling every 2 seconds (which is almost as many as twice as much in same time period, except in the southern hemisphere where the water flows backwards into drains thus increasing the mutation rates further).

:poop:

Well this is just great.

I communicated to work that I am sick with covid. Very long story short, without them acknowledging it, the old covid policy is now dead. Being out with covid to them is now no different than being out with a broken ankle (but even worse/more pressure to return within 5 days).

My Dr told me to quarantine for 10 days (up through Sat 1/22). Then if I was better I could come back to their special covid patient "lab" (a vacant office where I was on Friday across from their real office) and get another test. If I was recovered, no symptoms and tested neg, then I could stop isolation and go back to work. I told work this.

In reponse they sent me a form letter email checklist of YOU MUST DO THIS etc saying to isolate for FIVE days (not ten). To then get a test (they keep pushing rapid tests which you have to buy/do yourself instead of the more accurate lab based ones that the Dr office is using which takes a day or so to get the result back). Then to return to work. And if NOT returning to work then needing to call off for all days that I will miss. Needing to deal with their horrible insurance company (CIGNA) to get FMLA and STD setup. Plus that I will get points for not coming in and working my scheduled shifts (but the points will count as one occurence instead of separate ones for each - which would be enough to get fired btw - just like any extended absence is IF I provide a Dr;s note).

There is more to this but just saying that now I am stuck in the middle (AND am very sick on top of it). Totally stressed out. The effort required to deal with CIGNA is more energy than I even possess at this point.

Doing some research this is all due to the CDC/whitehouse caving in to big business pressure and reducing the already reduced 10 day isolation period further down to 5 days about a few weeks ago. Plus the policy which work was following in 2020 or whenever it was, which made everything easier (no need to call off, no need to deal with CIGNA unless missing more than 2 weeks/80 hours, being paid for timed missed) has expired meaning now I am screwed, in same situation as if I had not tested positive, have to go through the EXACT same hassles as if I just had the flu or a broken toe as far as calling off/not getting paid/dealing with CIGNA etc.

P.S. Heard from a colleague that in addition to a bunch of people being out sick with covid now, that one (a non-vaxxer) has died. The pressure work is putting on people to return earlier than their own Dr recommendations, even if still spreading the germs, could even have contributed to his death (who knows???). Having health decisions made for us not by Drs or health professionals but by bureaucratic business interests is a wonderful thing. No wonder covid is rampaging lately.

(back to bed)
Who is they that is telling you all this, the doctor office or your job HR? Ot is it just research and you are coming across misinformation. CDC did change the isolation from 10 days to 5 and your company might not be up to the changes yet. You do have to provide a doctor's not if you have FMLA on the job.
On the vaccinated and unvaccinated, many are still dying, just at a slowed pace. The hospitals beds in ICU are filled up main of the unvaxxed. And companies just got the update CDC covid changes in the isolation last month before Christmas. It will take time for all HR
to catch up. Just feel better knowing you were vaccinated and tested. Hope you feel better soon and by then many HR will be caught up on the CDC changes. But you will probably still need to negative test go get back to work. Welcome to the forever future epidemics. This will become a normal for a long time.

Hey @slipkid.
Really sorry to hear about the Covid diagnosis. Being sick sucks. This too shall pass and you'll be back to yourself before you know it. I recovered from Covid and you will too.

I'd suggest taking plenty of vitamin D as many are deficient, especially in winter, and several studies suggest that you don't want to be Vit D deficient and that it may play a vital role in fighting off Covid. FWIW I took about 5,000iu per day of vitamin D when I had Covid and got as much natural vitamin D from the sun as I could from long outdoor walks (away from people), but that may not be possible depending on weather. I do feel that the exercise did me good and kept things circulating.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

FWIW - Covid isn't a 'germ' - it's a virus. Antibacterials won't touch it. (But it may prevent opportunistic bacterial infections.

I've also gone through COVID - I think I'm far enough along to go off quarantine.

I learned two things -- Medicare Advantage plans suck even more than I expected -- I'm converting to a supplement ASAP. Some doctors CAN BE ANTI-SEMITIC - I found one. No response to the calls from E.R., no follow up after I got home, not even a return call from the doctor on call.

I ran into a situation that made it look like my Pacemaker failed and my heart rate dropped to 50, and record of increased arrhythmias. My former cardiologist, who I paid out of pocket to see, reassured me. The other doctors didn't care enough to return my calls.

Supplement for me, in the future.

Boy, we have a great medical system in the United States.

Last edited:
best in the world

best (now ex) president in the world ... biggest hands of any president. Steady hands ... caring hands....
Ever since he was a presidential candidate, ex-President Donald Trump had promised the American people a “terrific,” “phenomenal” and “fantastic” new health care plan to replace the Affordable Care Act.
As usual, all talk & bluster with zero action.

a “terrific,” “phenomenal” and “fantastic” new health care plan to replace the Affordable Care Act.
As usual, all talk & bluster with zero action.
but he delivered, you just need to grasp the meanings of those words
1642468785892.png

so similar to terror

phenomenal (adj.) ... 1803, "pertaining to or of the nature of a phenomenon," a hybrid from phenomenon + -al (1).

[and the nature was to remain intangible]

fantastic (comparative more fantastic, superlative most fantastic)

1. Existing in or constructed from fantasy; of or relating to fantasy; fanciful.
    He told fantastic stories of dragons and goblins.
    His fantastic post-college plans had all collapsed within a year of graduation.
    She had a fantastic view of her own importance that none of her colleagues shared.
  2. Not believable; implausible; seemingly only possible in fantasy. quotations ▼
    The events were so fantastic that only the tabloids were willing to print them.
    She entered the lab and stood gaping for a good ten minutes at the fantastic machinery at work all around her.

its all clear when you look at it the "right" way ;-)

CDC Guidelines:
People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter. The change is motivated by science demonstrating that the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after.

I don't see a hard 5 days and back to work for those infected. It is conditional on being asymptomatic. If you have symptoms, all bets are off.

Latest posts

Back