Cure For Atrial Fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jackdrum

After nearly a lifetime of Atrial Fibrillation (teens, until 64), I was cured April 98, by the surgical procedure called the maze, or Cox/maze procedure.

The procedure has a better than 95% cure rate, and I just wanted to say that anyone who might have AF and needing valve surgery, would benefit greatly by having them both done at once. There are several surgeons that can do both procedures.

Sept. 2000, I started the MAZE ALUMNI, AND THOSE THINKING ABOUT IT, message board, and anyone interested could check it out, at http://www.mddietofutah.com/wwwboard/index.html

It probably has the most information on the maze procedure, and related information available in one location on the web.

Best wishes and prayers to all. Jack Drum

Wait -- what's this again? A Fib saddles AVR patients with a particularly miserable long term prognosis -- does this procedure help with that?

Nocturne;n872256 said:
Wait -- what's this again? A Fib saddles AVR patients with a particularly miserable long term prognosis -- does this procedure help with that?

Nocturne, Afib is just another "what if" for AVR patients and your prognosis (miserable long term prognosis) is kinda extreme. It may occur or it might not. I went almost 49 years post surgery before being diagnosed with Afib.....and at an age (80) that many seniors, with or without OHS, develop it. Afib is the most common reason that a great many seniors are on "blood thinners".....warfarin, plavix or one of the other new anti-coagulants. It is managed pretty easily........and the only way to assure you won't get it is to not live into "old age" LOL.

Last edited:
With all due respect, Dick, I think you misunderstood me. What I was saying is that AVR patients who get A Fib have a much higher mortality rate.

Now maybe this is because they tend to be a lot older, and nothing more than that. That would be a fair point to consider.

Nocturne;n872271 said:
........ What I was saying is that AVR patients who get A Fib have a much higher mortality rate.
Now maybe this is because they tend to be a lot older,.........

Old age and higher mortality tend to go "hand in hand". Thank God there heart surgeries that can help assure getting to "old age".......in order to deal with the "mortality" issue..

Last edited:
Every bodies gotta die some time. How did fight club put it? "Given a long enough time horizon, the survival rate of everyone approaches zero." Didn't look up the exact quote.

I have been cardioverted twice due to irregular heart beat that couldn't self correct. Don't know if it was atrial or ventricular.

Latest posts

Back