Curcurmin and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Have my INR is stable at 2.1 I’m looking to add in curcurmin, I’ve seen anecdotal feedback that says it does increase it however a rat study shows it helps warfarin absorb but doesn’t effect INR.

whst is your personal experience with curcurmin and INR?

I eat Indian food :) I also help determine that "Curcumin has no confirmed medical use in spite of efforts to find one via both laboratory and clinical research." My cardio and internist generally recommend that one stay off supplements and take a natural route, eat a good diet with a wide variety of food including fruit, vegetables and fiber.

Hi
Guest;n885998 said:
Have my INR is stable at 2.1

I would encourage you to make that stable at 2.5 ... because its easier to drop below 1.7 from 2.1 than 2.5

I’m looking to add in curcurmin, I’ve seen anecdotal feedback that says it does increase it however a rat study shows it helps warfarin absorb but doesn’t effect INR.

whst is your personal experience with curcurmin and INR?

Speaking as one of the more dilligent recorders of my INR (and a self tester) I can say I've found no food to repeatably influence my INR. Meaning that while on specific occasion I have found something on other occasions nothing. Thus it can not be said to be the food.

Short answer: my experience is no influence on my INR.

Background, I eat curries and having lived in India for a few occasions for work can say I can eat with the locals.

pellicle;n886002 said:
Hi

I would encourage you to make that stable at 2.5 ... because its easier to drop below 1.7 from 2.1 than 2.5

Speaking as one of the more dilligent recorders of my INR (and a self tester) I can say I've found no food to repeatably influence my INR. Meaning that while on specific occasion I have found something on other occasions nothing. Thus it can not be said to be the food.

Short answer: my experience is no influence on my INR.

Background, I eat curries and having lived in India for a few occasions for work can say I can eat with the locals.

I also have saved every INR test I have had done for 7 years now, I also self test, and I agree, I have found no food that has a noticeable affect on my INR. I extend that to include alcohol, and I have done a couple of test to verify that ;) . I have also started working out again, and I have had that affect my INR in the past, but not this time.

That being said, everyone is different, and do not take my experiences to prove to yourself that your body will react the same as mine. Test for yourself, and establish your own comfort level.

Jamey T;n886034 said:
I also have saved every INR test I have had done for 7 years now, I also self test, and I agree, I have found no food that has a noticeable affect on my INR. I extend that to include alcohol, and I have done a couple of test to verify that ;)

always better to have more data points, so the OP now has two people (as well as the literature) who are reliable reporters of their results supporting that there is little in it

That being said, everyone is different, and do not take my experiences to prove to yourself that your body will react the same as mine. Test for yourself, and establish your own comfort level.

100% . I couldn't have said it better myself ;-)

I’m not asking about food as much as a higher concentration via supplements. And absolutely no reason to keep my INR 2.5 or higher my range is 1.5-2.0

CWFit;n886058 said:
I’m not asking about food as much as a higher concentration via supplements. And absolutely no reason to keep my INR 2.5 or higher my range is 1.5-2.0

no evidence I know of in reguard to supplements, perhaps if you took the bottle. Ultimately the answer is
  • home test and find out for yourself (know thyself)
  • the majority of supplements are miserable in accuracy of reporting their doses
... and I would caution you about that range (even if you have a On-X valve)

I would strongly advise you to read this thread: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...e-of-onx-valve-and-problems-with-lowering-inr

and ask yourself carefully
  • how important is it to you to have a lower INR when no evidence supports its worthfulness
  • how accurately are you going to monitor your INR (weekly is what On-X did in their test)
  • how do you know that your reading of 2 is the same as the 2 needed (IR measurement definition variance)
  • what benefits do you think you'll obtain?
Read this study: "Optimal level of oral anticoagulant therapy for the prevention of arterial thrombosis in patients with mechanical heart valve prostheses, atrial fibrillation, or myocardial infarction: a prospective study of 4202 patients."

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/415179

and ponder the graph of their results (incidence vs INR) ...
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1024","width":"570","src":"https:\/\/c2.staticflickr.com\/4\/3868\/14626794599_c646b1872d_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Being under two is dangerous for extended stays ...

Last edited:
A study on with a different mechanical valve, afib and heart attacks isn’t one bit relevant as far as INR goes to my situation. Approved by the same people that tell regular mechanical valves 2-3inr. I’ll stick with what my surgeon and medical professionals say ‍♂️

CWFit;n886067 said:
A study on with a different mechanical valve, afib and heart attacks isn’t one bit relevant as far as INR goes to my situation.
I see you've got it all sussed ... excellent reading comprehension, no pulling the wool over your eyes

CWFit;n886058 said:

I did forget to mention that I started curcurmin supplement a couple months ago, and haven't noticed any difference yet, testing is still ongoing.

Again, as I said, test yourself to be sure. Also, I don't know how long you have been on warfarin, but I have been on it 7 years now, and would be uncomfortable with a range of 1.5 to 2 knowing what I know now. There really is no down side to being higher. Some in healthcare that get panicky about it don't really know as much about warfarin as they think, and they are definitely not taking it. If they were, they wouldn't be so panicky. ;)

Have your own comfort level whatever you decide, and try to keep it there. Also, don't worry excessively about the swings, unless they are extreme.

Latest posts

Back