CRISPY (baked) Yam Fries

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piglet

Oh, I just LOVE sweet potatoes and have copied the recipe here for ease of use.
Thanks Piglet ! :smile2:

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

3-4 small sweet potatoes (orange flesh)
2 egg whites
2-3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1-2 Tbsp of spices (Any combination of curry, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, etc.)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a large (or two smaller ones) oven safe cooling rack with baking spray and set on top of a baking tray.

2. Cut washed, unpeeled sweet potatoes into fries about 3/4 cm x 3/4 cm or slightly larger than shoestring size.

3. Soak in a large bowl of cold water for 10-20 minutes. Remove to kitchen towels and pat dry or allow to air dry and then pat dry to make sure there is very little moisture left.

4. In large deep bowl, whisk egg whites until very frothy, almost to soft peaks. Toss cut, dried fries into egg whites until fully coated. Add flour one tablespoon at a time to coat and then spices. Be sure to fully coat and distribute. You will have very coated fries at this point, which is fine. A thick coating means crispy fries!

5. Lay on greased rack in one layer, do not allow fries to touch or become crowded. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned on ends and crispy. Begin checking fries after 30 minutes and continue to check every couple of minutes or so to ensure they do not burn.

I've bought the frozen sweet potato fries and oven-baked them. I love baked sweet potatoes and the oven-baked sweet potato fries (I pass on sweet potato casseroles served at Thanksgiving and Christmas -- too sweet for me).
Many restaurants have an option of baked sweet potato or regular potato. I usually opt for the baked sweet potato w/out butter. I think sweet potatoes have more fiber than others.

Thanks Bina, that's much better. I didn't add any of the spices and they were still awesome, but I think it's important to pre-heat the sheet pan. There are some good recipes on her blog. I'd been looking for a good yam fry recipe for some time, how funny that the one I found was on a blog by a girl who lives near by.

Last edited:
I might have to try this. We planted sweet potatoes this summer and intend to harvest them this week-end. I normally bake them and eat them plain, but I may be motivated to cut them into fries.
Thanks for the recipe!

Latest posts

Back