COVID

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is / was one of the major issues and complaints about the pandemic response. The lockdowns created an environment where people neglected routine medical care

Yes, there was certainly a lot of collateral damage. Whether it was during lockdown or not, a lot of scans and procedures were delayed. Specific to our common issue on this forum, we heard stories of valve surgeries that were delayed several months. As you know, every month that a valve patient delays surgery, while they have severe symptomatic aortic stenosis, there is a significant risk of mortality. I wonder how many became a statistic while they waited. It is always concerning to me when a poster shares that they are wating for surgery and then we never hear back. As they say, only the living go on to tell their stories.

Happy to hear that you came through it ok! And yes, good thing that you were vaccinated, as the statistics show overwhelmingly that you are less likely to have a severe case if vaccinated.

Just got Mom her 3rd shot (booster). Super easy and no wait.

Sheenas, you should have very good immunity for many months, having just recovered.

https://www.science.org/content/art...er-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital
The Israel data is showing that those who received the booster(3rd shot) had much better protection than those who had received just two, so getting the booster is something that folks might want to consider, especially if you were vaccinated over 6 months ago, at which point the data suggests that the protection decreases.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...gnificantly-lowers-infection-risk-2021-08-22/
Does anyone know how long after having COVID you should wait to get booster? I am tempted but my second Pfizer shot was March 7.

This is / was one of the major issues and complaints about the pandemic response. The lockdowns created an environment where people neglected routine medical care. Particularly for chronic conditions, but also not going in for other concerns (putting off a colonoscopy for example, or skipping annual cardiology checkups). Unfortunately it’s one of those areas where we can only know what happened and not what would have been different.

Probably best to assume everyone was doing the best they could with the information available to minimize the catastrophe.
Yeah well I'm due for a colonoscopy, this will be my first one so maybe they'll light some candles, and I did put it off partly because of the pandemic but if I'm being honest it's not really high on my list of things I want to do...... The flip side is without a lockdown It's safe to assume cases would be much higher and hospitals would be more overwhelmed than they were which would also likely lead to people skipping procedures and people needlessly dying because of overcrowded hospitals.

Happy to hear that you came through it ok! And yes, good thing that you were vaccinated, as the statistics show overwhelmingly that you are less likely to have a severe case if vaccinated.

Just got Mom her 3rd shot (booster). Super easy and no wait.

Sheenas, you should have very good immunity for many months, having just recovered.

https://www.science.org/content/art...er-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital
The Israel data is showing that those who received the booster(3rd shot) had much better protection than those who had received just two, so getting the booster is something that folks might want to consider, especially if you were vaccinated over 6 months ago, at which point the data suggests that the protection decreases.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...gnificantly-lowers-infection-risk-2021-08-22/

I read something in the NY TImes recently that said that the Israel study was flawed, that there were other possible causes/explanations for the folks in the study having better protection, not just the extra booster. I can't recall the details though. The upshot was that some "experts" are saying that the conclusion being drawn from that study about recommending boosters for everyone is incorrect. And that at this point at least should only be recommended for immunocompromised folks or those in nursing homes. So controversy & disagreement is brewing on this issue already.....sigh....

I read something in the NY TImes recently that said that the Israel study was flawed, that there were other possible causes/explanations for the folks in the study having better protection, not just the extra booster. I can't recall the details though. The upshot was that some "experts" are saying that the conclusion being drawn from that study about recommending boosters for everyone is incorrect. And that at this point at least should only be recommended for immunocompromised folks or those in nursing homes. So controversy & disagreement is brewing on this issue already.....sigh....
Yeah that's unfortunate but as I'm sure you know that's the way it often works with science especially regarding new things. They're looking for evidence and changing their opinions when the evidence presents a reason to. Unfortunately a lot of people who are looking to poke flaws in the science use that uncertainty to their benefit although their position isn't backed up by science nearly as much, if at all

But others, like CVS seem to be much more lenient about letting the compromised get the booster, but that migh
Yesterday CVS rejected a Moderna booster or third shot arguing I needed a doctor letter stating I was compromised as required by the CDC. My 2nd Modena shot was about 6 months ago (3/12/21). So it depends on who is working the counter. I had my 2nd AVR with root expansion and valve size increase from 21mm to 23 mm on 7/1/21 to get a larger valve to avoid patient prosthetic mismatch for a future TAVR.

If you had the vid and are fully recovered most people are recommending 1 month now instead of the original 3 months as was mentioned on an earlier post. If you haven’t had the vid and are waiting for 3rd booster it should be 8 months after the first series. I was vaccinated about 8 months ago so I will be due this month.

Sheenas7,
I am not aware of any study done to estimate the optimum timing of when to get the booster after recovering from Covid. But, you may find the linked study below interesting.

Here is what I find striking. This is for those who had recovered from Covid and who had not been vaccinated. What I find interesting is that comparing the survivors 6 month memory B cells and their memory B cells again at 12 months, is that they evolved to produce a more broad and potent range of antibodies. See the second bolded text below from the linked article.

"Compared with 6 months prior, participants who were not vaccinated maintained most of their plasma antibodies against the virus’s receptor binding domain (RBD) and their plasma had similar neutralizing activity against a nonreplicating virus engineered with the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. Their memory B cells that produce anti-RBD antibodies were only slightly lower in number than at the previous visit and had evolved to produce a broader and more potent range of antibodies."

But, making the case for still getting vaccinated after recovery is this. Keep in mind these are folks who had recovered and then had one vaccine dose.

"Compared with unvaccinated participants, those who had received at least 1 dose had higher plasma anti-RBD antibodies and a nearly 50-fold increase in neutralizing activity. According to Nussenzweig, vaccination boosts the memory antibodies that develop after infection, producing an “outstanding response.” "

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2782139
Keep in mind that this study looked at those who had Covid and then were vaccinated, so your order was reversed in that you were vaccinated and then had Covid. But, it does appear that the combination of getting the vaccine and having recovered from Covid have a synergistic effect in terms of producing far more antibody capability than either event by itself.

I had Covid in June 2020. I donated convalescent plasma often, as the antibodies from recovered Covid patients are used to treat some patients in ICU. Every time I donated they tested my antibodies and reported back to me the findings. Although I was not able to get specific values, they continues to tell me that my antibody levels were high up to 8 months after having Covid, at which point I stopped donating to get ready for valve surgery. Two weeks after surgery I was offered the opportunity to get vaccinated while picking up a prescription at Costco and took it.

Personally, I would get the booster as soon as they tell you that you are eligible. But, having said that, in that you have now been vaccinated and recovered from Covid, I would expect that your antibodies would be sky high right now.

Last edited:
had Covid in June 2020. I donated convalescent plasma often, as the antibodies from recovered Covid patients are used to treat some patients in ICU. Every time I donated they tested my antibodies and reported back to me the findings. Although I was not able to get specific values, they continues to tell me that my antibody levels were high up to 8 months after having Covid, at which point I stopped donating to get ready for valve surgery. Two weeks after surgery I was offered the opportunity to get vaccinated while picking up a prescription at Costco and took it.
Very interesting

But he didn’t get COVID. We got COVID and recovered so a little different. We were fully vaccinated w Pfizer. Now to get the booster is the issue and when ?
I understand. You may have missed my previous response to this in which I said a friend had to wait three months after Covid-19 infection.
But not sure if this is applicable when you get COVID-19 after being vaccinated.

Last edited:
They’re running a clinic at work, so I finally got on the calendar to join the vaccinated crowd. Giving us the Pfizer. Won’t change much for me. The way the numbers are looking, I’ll continue to mask and distance. Starting to accept that as a new normal.

The main negative is I’m full time remote, so I have to wear pants when I go in to get it. They won’t bring it here.

The main negative is I’m full time remote, so I have to wear pants when I go in to get it.

Funny story with my wife. So, she and her friends did not get together most of last year due to Covid. After they were all vaccinated they agreed to get together in person finally. My wife says on social media: "I guess I'll have to put my pants on."

What she meant: We had been joking about how with Covid sweatpants are back in style, with all the remote working and such. So, she was talking about changing out of her sweatpants into her pants.

Of course, it did not come across that way. To this day they still give her a hard time about it: "I'll be stopping by later to give you those avocados, so make sure to put your pants on."

However, I am pretty sure that what you are saying is that you will be needing to put your pants on to go in for your vaccine because you've taken advantage of remote working to go Commando. 🤣

However, I am pretty sure that what you are saying is that you will be needing to put your pants on to go in for your vaccine because you've taken advantage of remote working to go Commando. 🤣

If that image makes your day a little brighter, I will not take it from you. 😁

I teach a class at a local college. When we finally had in seat class for the first time post pandemic, I started with, “I finally have a reason to wear pants without elastic in the waist again, so I’m pretty excited about that.”

Our company went to WFH back in 2012. Our running gag was "First they were pajamas, then they were pajama pants, then they were just...pants."

Latest posts

Back