Covid Vaccines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am supposed to get my "shot" on Thursday. Have any other members got the covid vaccine and how did it go? Just wondering with a mechanical heart valve what others that have received the vaccine how it went?

I have an on-x aortic valve (7 years now - time flies!).

Just had my 2nd shot of Pfizer last week.

No major issues. My first shot really really knocked me out, was extremely tired and slept more in 2 days than I had in like a week. Second shot not as bad but a little tired. Both times had very sore arm that took a couple days to go away, could not lift it above my shoulder first 2-3 days afterwards.

No effect on my valve afaik. INR about the same, maybe a few tenths lower but can't say for sure that was from the shot.

I know people who do not want to get the vaccine, don't trust it, don't trust the drug companies, don't trust the gov't, whatever. That is their choice. Is there a risk of a reaction, sure, like with any other drug but I chose to take the vaccine risk rather than the virus risk (although I do believe I did have the virus at least once already but fought it off both times without major issues - my reaction to the first shot points that way, that my immune system already was exposed so went kinda crazy draining my energy I think).

Just wondering with a mechanical heart valve what others that have received the vaccine how it went?

I have an SJM mechanical. Got Pfizer vaccine. First shot - no symptoms. Second shot - tired, some aches, lasted 24 hours. That second shot gave me some confidence the vaccine is creating antibodies.

I don't know of any studies concluding a difference in vaccine response between those of us with mechanical valves vs the general population. Early in the pandemic, I saw some articles indicating complications maintaining INR for hospitalized COVID-19 patients on warfarin who were treated with antivirals. They probably have a good handle on treatment protocol now, but still I'd rather have that one day of minor vaccine symptoms vs getting the disease and the risks that go with it.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I know that when I had my Aortic heart valve replaced 7 years ago, this forum kept me sane and made me feel so much better about getting the OHS done. I think I have the courage to show up tomorrow for my shot. I am a chicken when it comes to anything medical. You all give me courage here. Thanks again.

I am supposed to get my "shot" on Thursday. Have any other members got the covid vaccine and how did it go? Just wondering with a mechanical heart valve what others that have received the vaccine how it went?

Easy Peasy. Nobody I know had any significant reaction, even the nervous nellie hypochondriac.

I have an old (1991?) SJM valve.

I've had both Pfizer doses. I don't recall any significant (or even notable) reactions to the first shot.

I don' t recall anything significant related to the second shot, other than the fact that my arm was a bit tender at the injection site and, possibly, I slept a bit more than I usually do on Day Two.

I've also heard that the reactions decrease the older you are. I'm 112, so I didn't have any problems.

I got my shot in April, other than a little tired first evening and slight flu like feeling end of second day it was a non-event.

I have an on-x aortic valve (7 years now - time flies!).

Just had my 2nd shot of Pfizer last week.

No major issues. My first shot really really knocked me out, was extremely tired and slept more in 2 days than I had in like a week. Second shot not as bad but a little tired. Both times had very sore arm that took a couple days to go away, could not lift it above my shoulder first 2-3 days afterwards.

No effect on my valve afaik. INR about the same, maybe a few tenths lower but can't say for sure that was from the shot.

I know people who do not want to get the vaccine, don't trust it, don't trust the drug companies, don't trust the gov't, whatever. That is their choice. Is there a risk of a reaction, sure, like with any other drug but I chose to take the vaccine risk rather than the virus risk (although I do believe I did have the virus at least once already but fought it off both times without major issues - my reaction to the first shot points that way, that my immune system already was exposed so went kinda crazy draining my energy I think).

Like I tell people, even if you have a reaction, it is better than the possible alternative, death by covid.

I got my Moderna shots in January and February. I had decent/lingering soreness in my left arm. I had flu-like symptoms and swollen lypmh nodes in my armpit on the side I got the shot on. I would call my reaction moderate. I am proud to have done my part by following covid guidelines and getting vaccinated to protect my family, friends, and neighbors.

Hey I have a mechanical aortic valve ( 24 year old carbomedics.) We chose the Pfizer vaccine, and we got the 2nd dose on April 7th. I experienced no side effects whatsoever, other than a sore arm. Hope you can get the Pfizer.

I've had both my shots of AstraZenica, the second was 3 weeks ago. Slight runny nose for a day after the first one, no reaction at all to the second one. As others have said:
  • we're already on anticoagulants
  • for me, my assessment was that the risks of not having the jab were greater than having it
Thank you all so much for your replies. I know that when I had my Aortic heart valve replaced 7 years ago, this forum kept me sane and made me feel so much better about getting the OHS done. I think I have the courage to show up tomorrow for my shot. I am a chicken when it comes to anything medical. You all give me courage here. Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes!

I had my first jab (AZ), about a month before my surgery. Had the 2nd jab 16 days after surgery.

A few hours after the 2nd jab, I went for a 20 min walk, came back, and my heart rate was at 140bpm....wouldn't come down.
I had to go to A&E, and spent 3 days in hospital

I can't be sure the covid jab was the culprit for this....but I am a little suspicious

No vaccine for me. In my 40's and almost a decade removed from OHS with a mechanical valve and aortic graft.

The statistics and data point to my risk being minuscule and I did verify with my cardiologist I am not in any increased risk from Covid because of my medical history.

The risks of me dying from OHS were a lot higher than the statistical risks for me dying of covid and no one on this planet can guarantee you the long term impacts of these gene therapy shots everyone is taking.

Had both Moderna vaccines. Only reaction besides sore arm was first one I felt a little tired that night but normal next morning. Hope there are no long-term surprises. I have a tissue valve and on Warfarin.

No vaccine for me. In my 40's and almost a decade removed from OHS with a mechanical valve and aortic graft.

The statistics and data point to my risk being minuscule and I did verify with my cardiologist I am not in any increased risk from Covid because of my medical history.

The risks of me dying from OHS were a lot higher than the statistical risks for me dying of covid and no one on this planet can guarantee you the long term impacts of these gene therapy shots everyone is taking.

There are at least two reasons to be vaccinated for COVID. First to protect yourself and the other is to reach herd immunity and have the virus die out.
So those who don’t get vaccinated because of some non viable conspiracy theory about the vaccines are basically being rather selfish. Also 40 year olds have died from it.

There are at least two reasons to be vaccinated for COVID. First to protect yourself and the other is to reach herd immunity and have the virus die out.
So those who don’t get vaccinated because of some non viable conspiracy theory about the vaccines are basically being rather selfish. Also 40 year olds have died from it.
Totally agree. All of the conspiracy theories have been debunked by credible sources. The problem is, that the conspiracy believers only watch "news" sources such as: OANN, Newsmax, and Fox News, so they never see it. Brainwashed, and ignorant. But, that is just my observing opinion. If they believe that CNN or MSNBC are slanted, they could give BBC or NPR a try, as they have no reason to be biased.

I'm with Sood, as are probably 40% of U.S. residents. It has nothing to do with a conspiracy. It is common sense. Everyone acknowledges, including the CDC, that these vaccines were only given emergency use authorization - meaning they are experimental, because all of the established testing protocols, including all the long-term studies, have not been completed. Given that the virus itself poses almost zero risk of serious symptoms or death to an unvaccinated person who has a healthy immune system, I see no reason to participate. I don't care about short term effects like sore arms and sore throats - I care about the long-term side effects which are admitted by medical professionals to be unknown. I also do not feel that I am being selfish because even again, the CDC admits that a fully vaccinated person is at virtually no risk of being infected by an unvaccinated person. If I am a risk to other unvaccinated and like minded people that is okay because we have all implicitly accepted that risk, which we consider to be very minor and less risky than taking the vaccine itself. The same could be said of the masks. Besides all of that, the U.S. was a freedom loving country until recently, and there is a pressure and a coercion coming down from the highest level of government that is scarily reminiscent of George Orwell's book, 1984.

“The statistics and data point to my risk being minuscule and I did verify with my cardiologist I am not in any increased risk from Covid because of my medical history.”

So did your cardiologist recommend you not be vaccinated then?

[/QUOTE]

Why not take the Johnson & Johnson shot then, it has a more traditional delivery system?

Yes vaccines carry some risk but the whole point of them is that the risk is more minuscule than the risk posed by the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back