Covid Vaccines

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am supposed to get my "shot" on Thursday. Have any other members got the covid vaccine and how did it go? Just wondering with a mechanical heart valve what others that have received the vaccine how it went?
I haven't had a shot yet, but I would suggest that with a mechanical valve its a perfect combination because the only known difficulty is clotting and >we're already on anti-coagulants<

Best Wishes

Thanks for your response pellicle.
You're welcome, in case you're wondering why I haven't had a vaccine shot yet its a combination of:
  • government priorities
  • australia having a slow roll out (about 10%)
  • I live in the countryside and there are currently zero active cases in my state
  • due to its isolation Australia has few cases (despite a great start in the race with the stupid government letting an entire cruise ship (with known cases) disembark in Sydney and spread it around)
  • when I want to go OS I'll get whats current ... but its a mess with our current border and quarantine system (don't start me on my stupid governments views (which are equally stupid no matter which side is in))
:-D

You're welcome, in case you're wondering why I haven't had a vaccine shot yet its a combination of:
  • government priorities
  • australia having a slow roll out (about 10%)
  • I live in the countryside and there are currently zero active cases in my state
  • due to its isolation Australia has few cases (despite a great start in the race with the stupid government letting an entire cruise ship (with known cases) disembark in Sydney and spread it around)
  • when I want to go OS I'll get whats current ... but its a mess with our current border and quarantine system (don't start me on my stupid governments views (which are equally stupid no matter which side is in))
:-D
Well, I have been on the fence about getting this "vaccine" or shot. I just saw a friend go through the covid experience so I thought maybe I should step up and get the shot. Still kinda of on the fence about it. Looking for some people that have mechanical heart valves who have already had the shots and seeing what their reactions were after they received the shot.

Last edited:
I had my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine in mid-March, second one 3 weeks later. No issues, some slight soreness in my arm, but that's it. Talked to the heath care worker who administered the vaccine and he said no known issues with mechanical heart valve or anti-coagulation.

As @pellicle said, we already have a leg up on the prevention of clots. :)

I had mechanical Valve installed 3 months ago, and had both shots of Moderna with 2nd one a few weeks ago. Had the usual nasty reactions after the second one for 2 days, mostly chills and sweats and tired.
Get the Pfizer or Moderna, not J&J. You'll be fine.

I am supposed to get my "shot" on Thursday. Have any other members got the covid vaccine and how did it go? Just wondering with a mechanical heart valve what others that have received the vaccine how it went?
I have my native valves in place but had an aortic graft to replace my aneurysm. I had my 2nd Moderna March 26th and other than a little bit sore and tired the day after all is well

Well, I have been on the fence about getting this "vaccine" or shot. Just so you know, our government is becoming more socialized by the day or more like communism in my book. I just saw a friend go through the covid experience so I thought maybe I should step up and get the shot. Still kinda of on the fence about it. Looking for some people that have mechanical heart valves who have already had the shots and seeing what their reactions were after they received the shot.
Communist? So no privately owned businesses or property? Give me a break. Then don't get the shot because the orange blowhard is out. No offense but worrying about the safety is understandable but risking your health because of "Foxitis" is ridiculous- or perhaps natural selection....
Or perhaps you mean communist as in "if I don't win it's all rigged"? Declaring all elections fraudulent unless you win ...

Last edited:
I had AstraZeneca 17 days after my surgery. Minor issues, slight fever, tired and stiff arm the next day but not a big deal. (at least that is how it seemed compared to recovering from valve surgery). Glad I had It, despite all the AstraZeneca issues. I was in no position health wise to turn down a vaccine and risk Covid. Will likely have a choice for second shot, Astra or Pfizer. Waiting on study results from the UK to make that decision.

I'm 85, have had my mech. valve 53+ years. Got my 1st Pfizer shot 2/18/21 and my 2nd shot 3/11/21. My wife 83 got her shots the same day as me....but she does not have an artificial valve. Neither of us has experienced any problems or side effects. Put on your long pants, be a big boy, and get your shot(s).....and maybe we can get back to some semblance of normal.

PS, Communism or good Public Health Policy? It's all voluntary.....nobody is twisting your arm. BTW, At my age, I've had a couple of friends die of Covid and it ain't pretty.

Aortic valve replacement x3 current valve St Jude,aortic aneurysm repair,mitral clips,pacemakerx4,3 ablations for A. fib, 8 stents for scarred R coronary extension graft.38 years warfarin. Got vaccinated in December with Pfizerx2.
NO BRAINER. Just sore arm. Anyone “On the fence” should meet some of the COVID survivors walking around with oxygen concentrators. I have.
Suggest either Pfizer or Moderna over JandJ or Astra. Better and probably safer. No issues noted with heart valves with any.

I had to work a bit to get my first shot back in February but now many pharmacies in the U.S. you can just walk in and get a shot-ez peazy- the one right across the street from my work is taking walk-ins. So depending where you live there's no LOGICAL reason to not get it.

One of the heart websites has participated in a survey of reactions to the vaccines by people with heart conditions. I don't remember which site is, but someone else here might know.

Last edited:
Getting shot #1 of Moderna today (tissue valve). They did not recommend AZN and I was glad to be getting the COVID-19 vaccine. 2nd set for Sep 1st, but hoping I can get it sooner. NS vaccinating > 30 years old now.

Hi.
I had a St Jude mechanical valve put in 8 weeks ago and have since had both Moderna shots. The first jab was about 2 weeks after surgery and the second was about 6 weeks after surgery. I did check with my surgeon's office first and my cardiologist and they both gave me the green light indicating no special issues with recent valve surgery patients.
No issues for me other than I had mild flu like symptoms the next day, which is the normal side effect, and was a little more tired than usual for a couple of days. For me these mild side effects happened after each vaccination.
The only caution I would give is if you are still feeling not too good after your surgery to maybe wait a few more weeks, as it could be a bit much to not feel well after surgery and have that compounded with the flu like symptoms. By 2 weeks after surgery I was feeling good so I went for it.

I have a non mechanical valve. Both shots done and down as of April 2. Biggest thing was a sore left arm and tiredness for about 3 days after the second Moderna shot.
71. New valve Jan 2020.
care For your fellow humans as well as yourself and family and get the shot and turn off your news channel and read a good book like War and Peace

Hubs and I got Pfizer the moment it was available to us; already having health issues, it seemed prudent to avoid the risk of complicated Covid, plus three dead friends gets one's attention. No symptoms for either of us except barely noticeable sore arms. 4 of my teens / young adult kids got the Johnson & Johnson, one the day before they paused it. 2 felt a bit feverish and "off" for 24 hours and I called them in sick for school; other two no symptoms. Last member of our family has acute medical anxiety and would like the protection of a shot but is afraid of causing a safety incident for the health care provider, which is a reasonable fear based on his past experiences. He has autism and is not confident he can remain calm. Still problem solving on that one. I think you’re smart to have scheduled a shot while you can, before more doses get rerouted to other countries where people are dying to get one. Or more accurately, dying before getting one. Hope everything goes smoothly for you on Thursday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back